It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Senate confirms DeVos as Education secretary Vice President Pence breaks 50-50 tie

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

How about Betsy DeVos --- where she comes from... and has she actually done anything by her own hard work and merit? Close personal relationships with Amway and Blackwater.
Qualifications for any cabinet level position whatsoever.... hmmm.
From Wikipedia:
DeVos was born Elisabeth Prince on January 8, 1958. She grew up in Holland, Michigan, the daughter of Elsa (Zwiep) Prince (later, Broekhuizen) and Edgar Prince, a billionaire industrialist[18][19] of Dutch ancestry. Edgar was the founder of Prince Corporation, an automobile parts supplier based in Holland, Michigan.[11][18]
DeVos was educated at the Holland Christian High School, a private school located in her home town of Holland, Michigan.[20] She graduated from Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where she earned a bachelor's degree in business administration and political science, and was "involved with campus politics," according to Philanthropy magazine.[21]
DeVos grew up as a member of the Christian Reformed Church in North America.[22] She has been a member and elder of Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids.[23][24] Former Fuller Seminary president Richard Mouw, with whom DeVos served on a committee, said she is influenced by neo-Calvinist theologian Abraham Kuyper.[1]

Dick and Betsy DeVos at the October 10, 2006 gubernatorial debate in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
The DeVos family is one of Michigan's wealthiest.[25] Betsy DeVos' husband, Richard Marvin "Dick" DeVos Jr., is a multi-billionaire heir to the Amway fortune who ran Amway's parent company, Alticor, from 1993 to 2002. Dick DeVos is a major donor to conservative political campaigns and social causes,[26][27][28] and was the 2006 Republican nominee for Governor of Michigan.[18][29] Dick's father, Richard Marvin DeVos Sr., co-founded Amway and is also the owner of the Orlando Magic NBA basketball team. Richard DeVos was listed by Forbes in 2016 as having a net worth of $5.1 billion, making him America's 88th wealthiest individual.[25][30]
Betsy DeVos' brother, Erik Prince, a former U.S. Navy SEAL officer, is the founder of Blackwater USA, a private military services contractor.[18][31][32] Betsy and Dick DeVos have four grown children, two daughters and two sons: Rick, Elissa, Andrea, and Ryan.[33] Rick works for the Windquest Group[34] as a consultant on urban development.[35]
Political activity
Since 1982, DeVos has participated in the Michigan Republican Party. She served as a local precinct delegate. She was a Republican National Committeewoman for Michigan between 1992 and 1997,[36] and served as chairwoman of the Michigan Republican Party from 1996 to 2000.[37][38] In 2004, the Lansing State Journal described DeVos as "a political pit bull for most of [Gov. Jennifer] Granholm's 16 months in office", and said that if DeVos wasn't Granholm's "worst nightmare," she was "certainly her most persistent." Bill Ballenger, editor of the newsletter Inside Michigan Politics and a former Republican state senator, called DeVos "a good behind-the-scenes organizer and a good fund raiser" as well as "a true believer in core Republican issues that leave nobody in doubt on where she stands."[39] DeVos resigned the position in 2000. She said in 2000, "It is clear I have never been a rubber stamp... I have been a fighter for the grassroots, and following is admittedly not my strong suit."[40] In 2003, DeVos ran again for party chairman and was elected to the post without opposition.[40]
Political fundraising

DeVos in 2005
DeVos personally raised more than $150,000 for the 2004 Bush re-election campaign,[41] and hosted a Republican fundraiser at her home in October 2008 that was headlined by President George W. Bush.[42] During the Bush Administration she spent two years as the finance chairperson for the National Republican Senatorial Committee and worked closely with the Administration on "various projects."[43] The DeVos family has been active in Republican politics for decades, particularly as donors to candidates and the party, giving more than $17 million to political candidates and committees since 1989.[25][44]
Atlantic Magazine noted that DeVos had indicated in a 1997 op-ed that she expects to benefit from her political contributions. “My family is the largest single contributor of soft money to the national Republican Party. I have decided to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence,” she wrote. “Now I simply concede the point. They are right."[45] She also stated in the op-ed, “We expect to foster a conservative governing philosophy consisting of limited government and respect for traditional American virtues…We expect a return on our investment; we expect a good and honest government. Furthermore, we expect the Republican Party to use the money to promote these policies and, yes, to win elections."[46]
2016 U.S. presidential election
During the Republican Party presidential primaries for the 2016 election, DeVos initially donated to Jeb Bush and Carly Fiorina before eventually supporting Marco Rubio. In March 2016, DeVos described Donald Trump as an "interloper" and said that he "does not represent the Republican Party".[13]
Business career
DeVos is chairwoman of the Windquest Group, a privately held operating group that invests in technology, manufacturing, and clean energy. DeVos and her husband founded it in 1989.[21]
DeVos and her husband were producers for a Broadway run of the stage play Scandalous: The Life and Trials of Aimee Semple McPherson, in 2012, based on the life of the famous evangelist and featuring a book and lyrics written by Kathie Lee Gifford. The show ran for three weeks, closing in December 2012.[47]
Neurocore
Betsy and her husband Dick are chief investors in and board members of Neurocore, a group of brain performance centers offering biofeedback therapy for disorders such as depression, attention deficit disorder, autism, and anxiety.[48][49][50] The therapy consists of showing movies to patients and interrupting them when they become distracted, in an effort to retrain their brains. According to The New York Times, a review of Neurocore’s claims and interviews with medical experts suggest that the company’s conclusions are unproven and its methods questionable.[48] Democratic senators raised concerns about a potential conflict of interest and questioned whether she and her family members would “benefit financially from actions” she could take as education secretary. DeVos announced that she would step down from the company’s board but would retain her investment in the company, valued at $5 million to $25 million.[48][51][52]

edit on 7-2-2017 by SeaYote because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

First of all how is it mud pit bait when it has relevance to your post? You were defending the old system and I was pointing out a dynamic that wasn't being discussed. That's baiting? Or am I trying to enlighten the subject?

Secondly, the whole point of indoctrination is you aren't supposed to know it's happening.. it's not some meme, and If you took the time to do some research on it, it will also be clear to you.. it's not just the schools, it's the entire entertainment industry aswell (television, ads, movies, music, etc) and pretty much any left outlet that has any significant influence, you can bet it's part of their system. This is no secret and it's not some meme. Also the indoctrination isn't some linear thing that can be easily explained or understood. It's all subconsciously done over years and years using very subtle mind control tactics.

As for the rest of your post pointing out your accomplishments, that has no relevance to this at all..

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Public education definitely needs to be reformed.
It is insane that the quality of a school is tied to the tax base in which it resides. Instead of just pushing unfunded mandates for common core standards of learning (teach to the test)- the federal government needs to better fund schools. If our country would put a fraction of our federally earned tax dollars into an equal distribution by population to every state as it wastes on other failed programs public education could work -- it would be a real investment in our future.
Betsy DeVos is not only unqualified to understand and advocate improvements to an existing, though faulty, infrastructure, she wants to break it completely. A quick search into her background leads me to believe that her real goal is to take funds away from improving public education and give chartered money to private and preferably Christian schools.
Good bye separation of church and state.
edit on 7-2-2017 by SeaYote because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Proof you have never entered an inner city school. Ever.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: FelisOrion

That's what you think.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
So, you like to challenge ideas, but you assume there is only one correct method for a child to learn math?

Sure there is only one correct answer for each problem, but sometimes, a kid understands the calculation process differently.

There's many ways to teach the process, and there's many ways to do the problems. Which way you need to understand depends on how far you go in a mathematics education. If you go far enough it becomes necessary to do it the way Common Core is attempting to teach it.

And isn't that what the whole argument is about? That we don't properly prepare kids for jobs that need math?

My nephew does his computations the old way. He is quick and able to do it very well that way, and since he has ADD, trying to force him to take the time with the patience to complete the new CC methods when he knows the answer at the outset is murder for him. So why should he be punished by losing full credit for producing the right the answer when the kid who produces the full process with the wrong answer will get partial credit?

If the process that important?

If he knows the answer at the outset, he didn't calculate it. He memorized it (like we typically do when teaching times tables). That is not doing math, that's just memorizing common problems. So yes, process matters. Without that process you're just teaching test answers, with the proper process you're teaching the ability to solve problems.
edit on 7-2-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Annee

He was in the public school at age 3 when he learned to read?

Actually, he was. He was in a special class for Autism Spectrum through the public school system.

But, he taught himself phonics from computer programs.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
I pointed them out because my personal experience has been that there isn't any indoctrination. I hear it all the time, the colleges are making a generation of leftists. I've attended 4 different universities, have taken about 125 different courses. I speak to people in other classes. I have never seen one of these indoctrination professors.

My high school experience was the same, a small elite catholic HS. Weekly mass, prayers to begin/end every class period. Those people didn't try to indoctrinate me either.

No one is using the education system in any substantial numbers to create political ideologues. Neither the right or the left.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Well first of all you won't ever see an "indoctrination Professor" because they don't exist. Like I said it not a linear process where a teacher is trying to indoctrinate you. The teachers themselves don't even know.. it's the entire system as a whole, they aren't just stuffing info in your face. They slowly tell you what's right from wrong, how to think, how to act, how to respond, how to react to certain symbols or situations , how to feel towards certain symbols or situations, etc etc etc and this is just a tiny part of it. It's a bunch of tiny little nuances that ultimately shape you as a person. Plus TV, commercials, advertisement, movies, music and pop culture in general all play a role in the indoctrination..

If you're actually interested in knowing more you should really research into this because you seem like an intelligent person but you are quite oblivious to this dynamic.
edit on 7-2-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The bottom line to me seems like wanting to reduce govt expenses on education, to help balance budget.

Education makes up a yuuuge portion of the economy. Its up there with the military and Wal-Mart.

Is it a good thing to invest very heavily in schools? Are schools more of a luxury than a necessity?

Seems to me...

If you have both parents working, schools are a necessity.

If you have one stay at home parent, and one working parent, schools are a luxury.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: InachMarbank

the problem is, we have funneled more than enough money to education via taxpayer money or the enormous amount of (allegedly allotted funds via Lottery tix sales in my commonwealth VA).. with failing schools...

At some point it isn't the $$$$, It's the system...

It's time for a shake up.... IMO...

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

This is great! Not that I care, my children will never step foot in a public institution to be brainwashed by a bunch of low class commie regressives teaching twisted history and safe space culture.

I just enjoy it because all of the libs are crying up a storm!

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So, you like to challenge ideas, but you assume there is only one correct method for a child to learn math?

Is the process that important?

The process is so important it has to be the standard by
which these programmers judge us. There's little else to
use for a metric if the cake is a lie, ket.. and nobody in
the room including the teacher is within three genera-
tions of knowing how to bake one from scratch.

I know it's a tiresome damned problem, but it's a lynchpin
truth that history, math, anything at all in a "State Accredi-
ted (just ponder the credit verbiage) program [FGS] has to
do with more than the answer or even knowledge.. if you
don't show your work, and you don't do it OUR WAY you
fail the quarter. Maybe wreck your income potential forever.

Truth and the process are totally disjointed now; and if
you're not properly processed, we just may have to eliminate
you from the hive. I've seen plenty of examples.
The programmers are extremely nervous right now, because
the easiest way to get their slaves made is visibly going away.
And I find it rings true, like Clint does too-- that maybe the
greatest wrong one man can do to another is to GRADE him.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
Lol, so I was curious how Kleenex as a stock has done since November to current... Well, Kleenex is made by Kimberly-Clark Co. and stock seems to be doing well! haha

I hear butthurt cream is selling off the shelves like crazy. Stores can't keep it in stock.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Annee

yes, and now you know why.

Our school system stinks.

So, you're homeschooling, but making judgement on public education.

You are twisting it all the way around. He is homeschooling because he made a judgment on public education, big difference and it is not hard to see how bad public schools are today. 20 year olds today fail to complete tests that 8 year olds did 30 years ago thanks to "common core".

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Well first of all you won't ever see an "indoctrination Professor" because they don't exist. Like I said it not a linear process where a teacher is trying to indoctrinate you. The teachers themselves don't even know.. it's the entire system as a whole, they aren't just stuffing info in your face. They slowly tell you what's right from wrong, how to think, how to act, how to respond, how to react to certain symbols or situations , how to feel towards certain symbols or situations, etc etc etc and this is just a tiny part of it. It's a bunch of tiny little nuances that ultimately shape you as a person. Plus TV, commercials, advertisement, movies, music and pop culture in general all play a role in the indoctrination..

If you're actually interested in knowing more you should really research into this because you seem like an intelligent person but you are quite oblivious to this dynamic.

That's not indoctrination though, that's teaching you how to live in society. Indoctrination has to do with political affiliation and I've honestly never seen that come up. You might be taught not to be an asshole (a lesson some people never learn sadly) but that doesn't mean you're taught to be a liberal or conservative.

originally posted by: InachMarbank
If you have one stay at home parent, and one working parent, schools are a luxury.

The problem with this is that parents aren't education experts. I realize you have certifications and such that you need to get to be a home school parent, but you still don't get the experience. You get to teach each grade once (assuming 1 child) and don't have access to professional evaluation metrics that span years. Furthermore, you're still reliant on the textbook industry to dictate what you teach.

Even with a stay at home parent I think you're better off sending your kid to school, then using your time to actually study their homework with them when they get home.

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
the problem is, we have funneled more than enough money to education via taxpayer money or the enormous amount of (allegedly allotted funds via Lottery tix sales in my commonwealth VA).. with failing schools...

At some point it isn't the $$$$, It's the system...

The lottery hasn't added anything extra to education budgets. Budgets are fluid, every dollar the lottery earmarks for education is another tax dollar the state sees that it can spend elsewhere while still maintaining the education budget. As a result, lotteries actually fund what the money gets moved to.
edit on 8-2-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

in·doc·tri·na·tion
inˌdäktrəˈnāSHən/
noun
the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

Maybe I should've added "and brainwashing" beside the word indoctrination every time I used it. I can't emphasize enough the point that it's a lot more then simple indoctrination when you have many other major influencial outlets apart of it. What you fail to realize is the "society" is the one they've created/ are creating.

Not everyone is susceptible to it either, usually the distracted and weak minded.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

And if school didn't teach people how to exist in society, what would you want them to teach? All schooling involves that, whether home schooled or not.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'm going to modify my previous comments.

I Still don't think she is remotely qualified and that her position is a fine example of pay to play.

However, 80-90% of school funding is local and state. Some states may choose the voucher approach others will not. Her power is limited by the filibuster. She won't be able to do much at all without the support of at least 8 Democrats.

While I don't know what will happen, the fact there are checks on her influence and powers makes her agenda and inexperience less threatening.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: FelisOrion

I've taught afterschool programs in schools like that here in Dallas. The kids were enthusiastic and the environment was horrible (no running water in the labs, no air conditioning, etc, etc. - and little to no opportunity in the neighborhood for jobs so they could get into the fields they were interested in. Their only hope for a way out was scholarships, and those were few and far between.

They didn't deserve that.

new topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join