It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Senate confirms DeVos as Education secretary Vice President Pence breaks 50-50 tie

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

Riiight, whatever..enjoy the ride.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Looking at the facts - another scary thing.

What Does The Dept of Education Actually Do?

Not my thread, but has some great information, and comments.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Pyle

You do understand that there are many schools that charge less in tuition and fees than most states spend per pupil for the public schools ... Right?

One example, the local inner city districts get between $10 and $15K per student to pretend to educate the inner city kids here. We have our son in a very fine private school that does a really solid job educating kids for no more in tuition than $9000/year for high school.

That is cheaper than what the failing inner city schools get for grade school to NOT educate those kids.

And this is hardly an isolated example.

Uber exclusive Sidwell Friends where all the DC pols send their kids is only about a few thousand more per year for tuition than what the DC public system gets per child, and DC public schools are a disaster. You cannot tell me there is only a few thousand difference between what Sidwell provides to the nation's political elite and what the average ghetto kid in that town receives in quality.

Private schools have multiple revenue streams, they aren't 100% reliant on tuition. They usually have generous grants from former alumni or philanthropists and they even get public school funds.

Let me give an example. Back in the dark ages when I attended a private high school, it cost about $12,000/year for me to attend. Across all 4 grades attending the school there were about 200 students (we had record enrollment during my years there). From that, you can get total revenues of $2.4 million. We had small class sizes, most classes were around 7 students per teacher for about 30 teachers on staff. Our teachers at the time made about $20,000/year (most were hired without Master's degrees, and were instead working for a lower wage+tuition for a Masters being covered). That's $600,000 in wages. Add in taxes and such and that's about $1.2 million it cost the school. Then you had our administrators, lunch workers, janitors, and so on. That's probably another $1.2 million.

Just in wages that uses the schools entire budget before insurance, utilities, reinvestment, sports, profit, and anything else.

Run the numbers for your school, you'll probably see that they can't make it on tuition alone either.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
She cannot dumb down America any further than Obama's people did.

Common Core = make all students learn at the level of the lowest IQ students.

The give everyone a trophy era is over.

That has literally nothing to do with Common Core.

Common Core is an interstate agreement to specific math and (eventually, don't think they're implemented yet) reading/writing standards. It's entirely a bipartisan state level approach that has no federal involvement. Their math standards also happen to be fantastic.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

And the 200 million has nothing to do with her appointment?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
It would be so entertaining watching her crash and burn if it didn't also mean f***ing over our children's education.

Because public schools have been doing stellar since the Department was created by Carter...

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: FamCore

I've asked why people think she's qualified. Nobody has actually been able to point to anything tangible. Instead people say that we should trust Trump to make a good pick or that we need an outsider in charge of education.

What qualifications are necessary? I've looked at the previous Secretaries and nothing about them recommends that they are superbly qualified to "establish policy for, administer and coordinate most federal assistance to education, collect data on US schools, and to enforce federal educational laws regarding privacy and civil rights."

en.wikipedia.org...

Just look at that thing. It's a bloated, bureaucratic nightmare.

There have only been 11 Secretaries in the history of the Department. It has only been a full department since 1979. Less than 4 decades.

What does it have to show for itself? If anything, this is an opportunity to show how worthless it is and send it back to Bureau status at best.
edit on 7-2-2017 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2017 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
A question..is she in this position if not for the 200 million?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Her brother is Erik Prince, should we ban her from public office
based on these things? Looking at that DOE website, they are
all about money themselves.

Its a drop in the bucket of the DOE annual budget of over 70 billion.

Now there is a lot of room for corruption, maybe some housecleaning
is in order. Money would be better spent actually educating children
rather than indoctrinating them into the "system" and dumbing them down.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Bottom line, the left had decades to improve our school system.

And they failed.

You ALL have no room to complain.

Really.

It just makes you look silly.

Can you back this up at all? Every study I have seen looking at our education system over the past 30 years has shown a continual improvement. There have been occasional missteps but all the metrics that actually rank average ability have continued to rise.

The idea that schools are failing across the board is a popular meme, but it's just not true. They're failing in specific areas like Florida and Chicago (I'm not sure about Illinois in general), but in most of the country they've had rampant success even if there are outliers like people who don't know how to read and write graduating.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Deflection, not an answer..if her family did not donate boatloads of money..is she still the education pick?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Common Core is an absolute disgrace and a complete disaster- it is beyond shameful and ignorant for you to actually defend it with the online equivalent of a straight face.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I think this is bad news, but we'll see.

I think it's bad because she doesn't really understand the public education system. She talks a lot about vouchers, but I don't think that's going to solve anything, that's a deflection. Charter Schools, again, not a bad thing but not what ails us.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

If you can honestly sit there and tell me that the education level is at or is better than it was before 1979, I'd be very interested in listening.

I'd have to say, though, that standards and levels have significantly decreased, based on what I've read and experienced.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Bottom line, the left had decades to improve our school system.

And they failed.

You ALL have no room to complain.

Really.

It just makes you look silly.

Can you back this up at all? Every study I have seen looking at our education system over the past 30 years has shown a continual improvement. There have been occasional missteps but all the metrics that actually rank average ability have continued to rise.

The idea that schools are failing across the board is a popular meme, but it's just not true. They're failing in specific areas like Florida and Chicago (I'm not sure about Illinois in general), but in most of the country they've had rampant success even if there are outliers like people who don't know how to read and write graduating.

What that meme doesn't tell you is the systematic indoctrination that the left have implemented to slowly and subconsciously brainwash and control, starting from infancy all the way to adulthood.

Today's society is a clear reflection of this

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

if her family did not donate boatloads of money..is she still the education pick?

It is easy to see her long standing track record on education, why do you
assume it is only money that got her to where she is?

That seems like sexist thinking.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

jmmcclelland.com...

Interesting article.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Sexist?..lmao

Cheer's

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

If you can honestly sit there and tell me that the education level is at or is better than it was before 1979, I'd be very interested in listening.

I'd have to say, though, that standards and levels have significantly decreased, based on what I've read and experienced.

Don't you homeschool?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

yes, and now you know why.

Our school system stinks.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hendrick99

Common Core is an absolute disgrace and a complete disaster- it is beyond shameful and ignorant for you to actually defend it with the online equivalent of a straight face.

I am a big supporter of Common Core.

It works amazing if you actually work it. It definitely requires parent involvement, especially in lower grades.

My experience is parents expect the school/teacher to do everything.

new topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join