It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Senate confirms DeVos as Education secretary Vice President Pence breaks 50-50 tie

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Indigo5

Your ideology has failed.
Your ideology lost the election.

Get over it. You lost.

Hillary Clinton lost the election? I did not lose?

Tell me again how 8 years means "decades"?

My concern is not Democrats or republicans, but rather that Betsy Devos will lead to more children growing up with YOUR IDEOLOGIES aptitude for math and science.

Ignorance is a national threat to this country...economic and otherwise..
edit on 7-2-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

link   

So DeVos is going to be teaching all the children in all the public schools and she sucks because she isn't a smart teacher? And she'll teach children stupid stuff because she's not smart like all the leftists who have been doing SUCH a bang-up job!!!

Or is she going to start holding educators accountable?

Yes we need more smart teachers who oppose trump because those are better for children. The evidence for this is overwhelming. Here is one in action during class:

She boycotts trump in the most balanced manner as you can see and the children are learning a lot from her. Her bravery and wisdom is going viral. I nicknamed her "Annie" .

link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Pay to play all the way!

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
If our public education system is so great why did all these dem senators and congress members send their kids and grandchildren to private schools?

Same with all the CA libs. Nobody sends their kids to public schools in Hollywood, LA or San Francisco if they can help it.
edit on 7-2-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: ketsuko
She has been working with education reform for years. The main reason why people think she isn't qualified is because she has been working outside the purviewof the public education system.

Define WORK in this case, in a schooling setting. What the ever-loving F has she taught, what classes, where, for how long, what education degrees does she hold?

I'll wait.

It's the same type of thinking that says that parents cannot teacht their own children (anti-homeschool) and that schools outside the public system are automatically going to be bad unless you are filthy rich.

The difference is I'm not running the whole country's system with my inexperienced, non-educator degree holding head up my ass. Nice damn try.

The CEOs at my husband's company haven't a clue how to make something actually happen. They are smart enough to know what they want done and how to gather the rest of a team of experts to make it happen! The top dog doesn't need to know the specifics nor have experience in every detailed specialized field, they just need to be able to communicate and coordinate to those that do. Without that ... There will be chaos, especially happens when one does have experience...they override the experts instead of consider all input.

Give Devos and all the other outsiders a chance...they may actually make some good changes.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: derfreebie

originally posted by: Indigo5

History in the making!!
The first time ever a cabinet nominee was so unpopular and incapable of getting the sufficient votes where the Vice President had to step in to nudge her over the edge!

And how important this appointment was, at least for the Trump
agenda to drain the swamp.

Her family gave several Hundred Million to the GOP..

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Pay to play all the way!

You must be talking about the teachers unions contributions to Dems

Just last year:

National Education Assn $21,212,447

American Federation of Teachers $11,819,783

www.opensecrets.org...

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Have you ever thought about the irony of accusing others of their blindness, while you apparently choose to keep your own eyes shut? Show me some evidence in the form of a well illuminated path consisting those pesky things called facts please. Something beyond the typical liberal approach to reality wherein half the facts equals the whole story. As far as bashing the democrats goes, well that my friend is an uber foregone conclusion. With their own near perfect record of socially implemented ineptitude and ill success, they've quite nearly bashed themselves right out of political existence.

BTW, isn't it amazing to fully realize just what someone like DeVos can actually do with all the liberal bureaucratic business suit posers out of the picture?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Nice deflection. You know I'm talking about the billionaire who only got the job because of Pay To Play. Those that support Trumps pay to play program but attacked Clinton for the same thing are all hypocrites.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

So, if I donate enough money & buy my job, I can be Surgeon General despite having not so much as a CNA license? I can make serious decisions for the entire nation without having any actual field experience at all, right?

This is basically what you advocate.

link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
If you really are saying that the school system in America right now--the same one that ranks average or below in the "three Rs"--can't stand some reform and to be shaken up a bit, then you're willfully ignorant on the topic.

Actually. Those fast facts aren't really providing a complete picture. The testing results come from the PISA tests, the results that particular page is referencing are from the 2012 test. The 2015 test was published back in December, and the 2018 test will be taken next school year (with results published in 2019).

If you would like to see the current tests, I made a thread on the topic the day they got published
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now, more importantly, you have to understand how this test is conducted and what the results look like. For reasons I'll hopefully explain, you can't actually accurately rank performance by either average scores or position.

First is why you can't look at averages. Each nation can choose their method of submitting scores, some nations like the US give the test to everyone while nations like China and Singapore give the test to only their best scoring students. This creates a situation where not all nations are comparable to each other because some are measuring the aptitude of only their best students while others measure all.

Second is the way the scores drop off. Average means very little because the average is brought up by the top few scoring countries due to the first point. In the 2012 test for example, the scores were very high and dropped off significantly after each nation for the top 8 countries. But from 9th to about 44th place there was a very gradual drop off. The drop is so gradual that there's a bigger difference between the 7th and 8th countries as between the 9th and 44th in scores. Which essentially means that your education is pretty comparable in any nation that's in that blob. Being higher on it is great, but ultimately meaningless.

Because of these two points you can't simply look at the US, say we're 36th in education and assume that's a bad thing. We're right in the pack with everyone else. Now where you can take this to the next level is to look at the PISA scores which individual states have done. In 2012 Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Florida submitted their scores to be looked at individually alongside the nation as a whole. What we saw there was that Florida scored extremely poorly, they were worse than some 3rd world countries. The other two states on the other hand, if scored as their own nations would have been in the top 10 (5th and 8th if memory serves correctly). In the 2015 tests which were recently published, two states Massachusetts and North Dakota published their results. Massachusetts again cracked the top 10 for the world, and North Dakota wound up pretty average.

Our school system in the US is actually pretty darn good, and in some states could possibly be called the best in the world once you account for how certain nations (mostly Asian) game the system to get better test rankings.

So to throw some words back at you, I think the people who say our schools suck and want various reforms are the ones who are ideologically driven. Some states could learn from other states (Texas and Florida are two that come to mind in dire need of reform), but our better states and even our average states are doing great.

link   

Pay to play all the way!

At least there weren't any hidden emails !!

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

So DeVos is going to be teaching all the children in all the public schools and she sucks because she isn't a smart teacher? And she'll teach children stupid stuff because she's not smart like all the leftists who have been doing SUCH a bang-up job!!!

Or is she going to start holding educators accountable?

Yes we need more smart teachers who oppose trump because those are better for children. The evidence for this is overwhelming. Here is one in action during class:

She boycotts trump in the most balanced manner as you can see and the children are learning a lot from her. Her bravery and wisdom is going viral. I nicknamed her "Annie" .

Yes...the students are learning that the right wing is easily "triggered"...

The teacher has been suspended.

Leslie Jaimes, a junior who said she was in Ms. Modi’s second period class during the stunt, told a CBS News affiliate that it was intended to be a joke.

“Trump came out and she shot at him, but like, it was just a water gun,” Leslie said. “It’s no big deal.”

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: ketsuko
She has been working with education reform for years. The main reason why people think she isn't qualified is because she has been working outside the purviewof the public education system.

Define WORK in this case, in a schooling setting. What the ever-loving F has she taught, what classes, where, for how long, what education degrees does she hold?

I'll wait.

It's the same type of thinking that says that parents cannot teacht their own children (anti-homeschool) and that schools outside the public system are automatically going to be bad unless you are filthy rich.

The difference is I'm not running the whole country's system with my inexperienced, non-educator degree holding head up my ass. Nice damn try.

Give Devos and all the other outsiders a chance...they may actually make some good changes.

That is exactly the last thing the "progressive" left would want to see. That would be like pouring a bag of salt on their paper cut.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoTue, 07 Feb 2017 16:56:21 -06001720172America/Chicago by everyone because: Typo

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

The only one i see triggering is you and that teacher. I just reported on the fact.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Nice deflection. You know I'm talking about the billionaire who only got the job because of Pay To Play. Those that support Trumps pay to play program but attacked Clinton for the same thing are all hypocrites.

Uh, Clinton's pay to plays were mostly foreign entities. China, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, etc. No way in hell there is any comparison between an American donor to an American politician and a foreign government donor to an American politician. One is perfectly legal, though still not a great thing, while the other is absolutely a violation of federal law.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: derfreebie

What scares me is how few people notice how deep that hole is.

That's because. . .in order to measure the area of the hole, you need pie.

And then we all get hungry and have lunch and forget about the hole.

(Sadly, the above is a true story)

Get that cat a glutin-free cookie and a jug of creme rinse. For the
record, Cowboy, this thread is combusting from pure partisan smack.
And the sooner we get politics completely out of education the
faster we'll recover from the fog.
Somebody asked not too long ago, "Who's going to reprogram the
teachers?" Just maybe, the people that will make them listen to
their solutions to the problem-- and show them how nuts THAT is.
Time for a ramen and country gravy break.
Cats do not live by carbs alone... oh wait.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

Ya! - Who cares that it took Rick Perry over a week to realize that his new job as Secretary of Energy was overseeing our Nuclear Arsenal! ...he's now heading the Agency he couldn't remember during a Primary debate!

As it turns out, the Department of Energy has little to do with oil, as Perry my have assumed, and everything to do with overseeing America’s vast, and terrifying, nuclear arsenal.

www.vanityfair.com...

I HIGHLY recommend next time you discover a mysterious lump on yourself, you meet the garbage man in the driveway with an exacto knife and ask him to give it a shot!

Give some outsiders a shot!!!
edit on 7-2-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

And that's not even close to the 200 mil(math..check it out)l donated by DeVos's family..again..out of 360 million people why her?

edit on 7-2-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Because she is an ardent supporter of choice in education,
deregulation, and she is not a lifer politician.

All scary things for some people.....

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join