It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Senate confirms DeVos as Education secretary Vice President Pence breaks 50-50 tie

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Controversial Betsy DeVos has been confirmed by the Senate.

She will be the Education Secretary.

The Senate voted 50/50 and for the first time, the President of the Senate (VP Mike Pence) cast the tie-breaking vote !!

First time a tie-breaker for a Cabinet Nominee !!

BREAKING: Senate confirms Betsy DeVos as Education secretary after Vice President Mike Pence breaks 50-50 tie

edit on Feb-07-2017 by xuenchen because: tiebroken

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

lol awesome comment

Do many people think she is competent for the job?
edit on 7-2-2017 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Feb 7 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It would be so entertaining watching her crash and burn if it didn't also mean f***ing over our children's education.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I've asked why people think she's qualified. Nobody has actually been able to point to anything tangible. Instead people say that we should trust Trump to make a good pick or that we need an outsider in charge of education.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Can any of the detractors name 3 things about her that would NOT make her a good Sec of Education?

PS from a conspiracy sense I am surprised no one bring up her brother.....
edit on 02am28amf0000002017-02-07T11:51:37-06:001137 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
A victory for the children...

Defeat for the teacher's union...

Perfect

+15 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

She's never set foot in a public school. Her confirmation hearing illustrated that she has no clue about current debates in education. The policies she backs have been abysmal for Michigan's education system.

Can you name three things that qualify her for the position?

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Let's hope America still educates the disabled. My other son is homeschooled, so he should be okay.

On another note, this will spark even greater protests. Over half of America has NOT been heard and they are pissed.

This isn't about the Electoral Vote, this is about Democrats, Independents AND Republicans freaking out over DeVos as well... She is not competent nor qualified for this job. *Sigh* Wish our so-called leaders had gotten the message. They will wish they had.

Things just got turned up a notch.

edit on 7-2-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Excellent!

I hope that she can get things done and is not held down by Unions and bureaucracy.

Our kids need a real change if they are going to have a better future.
I hope that we change educational goals from common core, liberal indoctrination to a more well rounded functional education.

School choice will help everyone.
(except the unions, but their time is done)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
A victory for the children...

Defeat for the teacher's union...

Perfect

NOT a victory for the children. She screwed Michigan's schools.

She doesn't understand the IDEA act, she didn't say that Charter Schools under her plan would need to provide education to kids with disability, rural kids are especially going to get screwed...

Expect a slew of intense legal battles to preserve the integrity of our children's education. Expect to have more people protesting than ever before.

+26 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: FamCore

I've asked why people think she's qualified. Nobody has actually been able to point to anything tangible. Instead people say that we should trust Trump to make a good pick or that we need an outsider in charge of education.

...because picking insiders has worked so wonderfully for us so far, right? At this point we're in "what have we got to lose" territory and I wish this woman all the success in the world. Her ideas helped Detroit schools, so I figure they just might help American schools in general. Furthermore, anyone the teachers union fights this virulently against is 100% A-OK in my book!
That union is out of control and only exists to save its members from the responsibility of failure after failure.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Did you see Senator Warren grilling her about preventing fraud and misuse of funds in education? She didn't seem to have much to say about that - but other than that Warren questioning her video, I don't know much about DeVos.

If curious, here ya go

PS from a conspiracy sense I am surprised no one bring up her brother.....

DeVos brother is reportedly Erik Prince, the founder of the controversial private for-hire mercenary group "Blackwater"?

Link: www.democracynow.org...
edit on 7-2-2017 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
Expect a slew of intense legal battles to preserve the integrity of our children's education.

WHAT INTEGRITY!?!?! Seriously man, how much integrity can a system which pumps out as many failures as American schools do and shields the adults responsible for those failures from ANY merit based job expectations have?

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

I think the Michigan public schools were botched up by the insiders, not DeVos.

There was huge resistance and propaganda at the time.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I really need to do my homework on her. All I know is a bunch of cry babies on Facebook whining about her. Mainly teachers...so I have to assume what she wants doesn't benefit the teachers union? Anyone got a site where I can get all the deeds on her? Maybe an OP here.

link   

originally posted by: FamCore
Do many people think she is competent for the job?

I'm still in the air about it. I think that she's going to be fully capable of doing the job and accomplishing many of the reforms that she has mentioned wanting to do, but I'm concerned about how she's going to handle that whole monopoly on student loans thing that Obama usurped from the private sector a while ago.

I like some of what she wants to do, though, so much like with many of the people Trump is bringing on board (and even Trump himself), sitting back and waiting to see what happens is the soup du jour. Fingers crossed, I suppose, across the board.

ETA: Plus, this is pretty much a mirror of my thoughts:

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
I really need to do my homework on her. All I know is a bunch of cry babies on Facebook whining about her. Mainly teachers...so I have to assume what she wants doesn't benefit the teachers union? Anyone got a site where I can get all the deeds on her? Maybe an OP here.

It's become exceptionally tough to just find a non-biased, non-ideological, non-opinionated list of what she wants to do with the DoE, but is pretty amazing considering the vast number of supposed journalists and news organizations out there.
edit on 7-2-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

She's never set foot in a public school. Her confirmation hearing illustrated that she has no clue about current debates in education. The policies she backs have been abysmal for Michigan's education system.

Can you name three things that qualify her for the position?

if this Trump supporters supported trumps nominees based on questions they answer at their hearing or actual relevant position in the civilian world, neither Trump nor any of the billionaires at our top posts would be qualified.
this is about being in too deep to go back. no Trump supporter will admittedly 'not like' any of his appointees, nor will they think anything trump does is close to wrong. partisanship esteem is at stake, forget real world impact of egotistical billionaires in power.

+1 more 
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

How did she help Detroit's schools? Things are worse there than before. In fact things are worse all over Michigan. Maybe instead of choosing a donor or a politician maybe they could choose an actual educator. It seems like they would be the experts on the subject.

Also, there is more than just the teacher union against her. There is no teacher union in Virginia and yet every educator I've talked to thinks she's a terrible pick.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I do not know much about this woman at all really, (aware of amway, hospitol, etc) which I should because I live in Michigan. Is this a good or a bad thing that she is the pick?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join