It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

February is Black History of Achievements Month. How Will You Honor or Celebrate It?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
February 7, 2017

For those of you who didn't know, Blacks/African Americans in the United States, Blacks in Canada, and in the United Kingdom, have an entire month dedicated to honoring notable events, people, achievements, and their contributions, since the founding of these nations.

For a high-level overview, visit this Wiki page: en.wikipedia.org...

More in-depth - Library of Congress BHM website: www.africanamericanhistorymonth.gov...

Just because it's "Black" History Month, doesn't mean that only Black African Americans honor it. Personally, I am honoring the spirit of Black History of Achievements Month, by visiting the DuSable Museum in Chicago this week.

WHAT WILL YOU OR YOUR FAMILY DO this month to honor and/or celebrate the contributions and achievements of Black African Americans???

-CareWeMust

edit on 2/7/2017 by carewemust because: Black Lives Matter

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

How odd , February .

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I am not sure how anyone could miss it...its in your face all month.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

How odd , February .

Shortest month of the year?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   
This is literally the first i'm hearing that my country has a Black History Month. Is it new? It was never mentioned once when I was at school.
edit on -060002am2kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Star for you .

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

How odd , February .

Black student leaders at Kent State University picked FEBRUARY, back in 1969.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Usually it is. But even ultra-liberal CNN and MSNBC are so fixated on their hatred for President Trump, they completely forgot that it's AA History month.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
This is literally the first i'm hearing that my country has a Black History Month. Is it new? It was never mentioned once when I was at school.

EBONY magazine and President Obama really popularized it.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Enough said.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I personally do not care for black history month because I feel that even though I am white my history is black history. And white history, asian history, etc. We are all in this together, and so I see no reason for separation.

But I will take the time to remember some of the black people that are big influence to me.

Frederick Douglas, MLK, Alexandre Dumass, Chuck Barry, Richard Pryor; these ar all huge influences to me.

But to me the black people I think of most are people whose names I don't know. These are the people that fight through slavery, through having their families ripped away, and when it was all over, what did they demand?

Just a chance to live their lives peacefully, and a chance to work hard for a living for themselves and their family.

I think about that all of the time. Here was a group of people with every reason in the world to seek vengeance, or to blame other for their bad lot in life.

But instead they simply wanted to be treated as equals, and wanted a chance to make their own lot in life.

It puts my life in perspective, when I want to be lazy, or blame other for my problems.

Thats what black history month means to me.

edit on 7-2-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I've never heard the "of achievements" part added to black history month before... interesting. Anyway I'll do what I always do, which is absolutely nothing. In the words of Morgan Freeman, Black history is American history (in America, obviously). I live that everyday.
edit on 7-2-2017 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2017 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I remember Trayvon Martin; because Obama said he could be his son. Really shocked me.

Wish to God I had never heard our president say that-such an ill-timed, ignorant statement.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

An EXCELLENT response Grambler! Your knowledge and attitude regarding African American contributions and obstacles overcome, is honorable in itself.

Kudos
!

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I will celebrate it the same way I do white history month or Asian history month.... or any other history month.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Seems a bit patronising, only giving them 1 month
Are we allowed to ignore black history for the other 11 months

Why do we segregate black history

Do the UK and Canada really celebrate black history month as well?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   

There should NEVER be a celebration day, month or year of whatever : (insert whatever you want here)

Just one day, week or month is nothing at all when remembering those who sacrificed many many things for freedom throughout the planet...

I prefer to have a thought a day (even if it is for a couple of seconds) for all those who fought (intellectually and physically) for their freedom and tolerance throughout the world...

May all those people who chose to opt for peace be remembered forever :

OK... I can dream...

Warmest

Lags

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Nothing , Better things to do with my time .

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Were lucky dont have to deal with that idiocy here in asia .

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join