It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Waterfalls!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
A few days ago I shared a video of the National Park where I live. The Great Smoky Mountains suffered extensive damage from a large wildfire that was the result of arson.

If you've never had the opportunity to visit the area or if you're a regular visitor, I hope you will consider visiting the area in the future.

The waterfalls were filmed in the Townsend, Elkmont, and Gatlinburg areas of The Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The first large waterfall, with the bridge in the background is known locally as Shinbone, it's at the Meigs Overlook and trailhead.

The last waterfall, known as Laurel Falls, is very nice. It's a 1.3mile hike from the road and has a paved walking path the entire way. You can continue on the trail for several more miles if you want, but it is not paved. My video doesn't do it justice as it is actually two waterfalls. The first has water that falls from 40' above and collects in a small pool before rushing under a short bridge on the walking path and falling another 50' into a crystal clear pool below. I could only get a good angle of 1 waterfall at a time, but you may be able to see both of them in one of the shots toward the end of the video.

You can swim at any of these places and they are all located on the same roadway from Townsend, through Elkmont, and into Gatlinburg - about a 15 mile trip.

I hope you guys like it and thanks for reading and watching.

edit on 6-2-2017 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: esteay812

Oh yea!! Love the sounds and history of waterfalls.

www.onlyinyourstate.com...

Not a video but a some great images. Worth the trip should anyone be near.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Thanks for the link Jin! I'm working on a video about the wildlife found in the Smoky Mountains. It'll take me a lot longer, because I'm going to try and film most of the animals myself. They're not hard to film, but finding them can be tedious, lol. Thanks again for the link and comment.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Very beautiful, I've always liked waterfalls. They hold a sense of peace and calming when around them. It's like listening to the earth share all it's secrets with you.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Your welcome. I've been through the Smokeys twice. The most beautiful landscape my eyes have ever seen. I'll keep a look out for your thread!

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

There is definitely something about them. I love how you can feel the cool breeze from a waterfall, even if it's 100dF outside and how the air seems so fresh when they're nearby.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Yes you're right. It must be all the Negative Ions that come out from them. And the cool breeze is one of those memories you never forget when near them.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Absolutely gorgeous! Just loved the sights and sounds! I can't wait for your vid of animals!!!!

edit on 6-2-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
If you have never been, Havasu falls is pretty impressive to me, its been to long since I visited and when I return me and the wife are heading back there... good long hike to see them camp out then hike the rest of the way to the grand canyon, crossing the colorado twice to get there...

edit on 6-2-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Gorgeous!! Thank you so much for sharing this! I absolutely loved this video. The water is just gorgeously clear. And simply hearing the sound of rushing water is relaxing.

Beautiful video!

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Waipuhia.

edit on 2/6/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Hi Phage. Now that is amazing. What is that, an updraft?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

That's putting it mildly.

But yes. The tradewinds hit the cliff and have no where to go but up. Taking the water with them.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Hi Night Star. Thanks for the comment. I am not sure how long the animals will take. I may have to use some stock footage here and there, but I'd like to get the most popular animals myself; the black bear, foxes, elk, maybe a poisonous snake and some of the smaller mammals.

I have a friend who is a park ranger and he swears he has seen mountain lions later in the night, but no one has any documented evidence of them yet. That would be kind of cool, I think. Then again, if you don't hear from me after this, you'll probably know why.
edit on 6-2-2017 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

So. . . I guess hang gliding is out of the question, lol.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Actually, that's on a finger ridge off of the main ridge. The main ridge being prime flying.
It would be scary turbulent back where the falls are. Falls. Wrong word. Waterflies? Waterups?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I've never been, but I've wanted to visit them. Hopefully I can get out there in the next couple of years. A family friend has a hotel in Jackson Hole, maybe I can use it like a base and visit several places from there.

a reply to: KansasGirl

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It really is incredible how clear the water is. You can tell it is very clear on video, but it is even ore impressive in person. I tried to get a couple of underwater shots, but left my pole at home. I had to hold the camera underwater by hand and it was ice cold. After only a few seconds my hand began to ache and I worried I might drop the camera. I plan on getting some nice underwater scenes in the future. Looking down into the water, it's not obvious just how many fish are there, but they are everywhere!

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I saw a video a while back (couple years) where a guy was hang gliding, maybe para-gliding, and he hit some vicious turbulence. Made my palms sweat just watching. I never realized how violent those cold/warm air bursts can be, it's no joke.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Yeah. After a while I started to not feel like I had to fly everyday. I got real picky.

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Falls. Wrong word. Waterflies? Waterups?

Water falling up is called clouds. Premistified...

<<   2 >>

join