It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Judge Did Not Stop President Trump’s 50,000 Limit on Refugees

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
One thing not included in the Federal Judge's ruling against the Trump EO (aka visa ban) is a paragraph about limiting refugee intake.

The EO limits the number of refugees entering the U.S. to 50,000 for fiscal year 2017 (ends September 30th).

Apparently 33,000 or so have already entered since Oct 1st, 2016.

Not many people are complaining.

Seattle Judge Did Not Stop President Trump’s 50,000 Limit on Refugees

Federal District Court Judge James Robart’s ruling on Friday placed a temporary restraining order (TRO) on many elements of President Trump’s executive order temporarily banning refugees from all countries and blocking the issuance of visas from seven Middle Eastern companies.

It did not, however, put a stop to what may be the most significant element of the executive order, Section 5 d, which limited the number of refugees allowed to enter the United States in FY 2017 to 50,000.

By doing so, even the federal judge who has most broadly asserted powers to limit the executive powers exercised by President Trump acknowledged what legal experts on both sides of the issue have long known: The Refugee Act of 1980 grants the president the sole authority to determine the number of refugees allowed into the country in a year.

Some other things are still in effect as well...
EO copy with crossed out portions

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Why bother with putting it in an EO?

By law, the annual number of refugee admissions and the allocation of these numbers by region of the world are set by the President after consultation with Congress.

fas.org...

edit on 2/6/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

By law, the annual number of refugee admissions and the allocation of these numbers by region of the world are set by the President after consultation with Congress.

fas.org...

Who wants to bother Congress?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

fas.org...

Who wants to bother Congress?

We know a Judge in Seattle sure didn't bother.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Judges don't usually have much to do with Congress.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Actually they do.

As part of that oath is to make sure the LAW is followed.

Like an EO citing the INA congress wrote back in 1952.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

“I, ___ ___, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as ___ under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.”

www.law.cornell.edu...

Where's the part about consulting with Congress?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Something else that's been bugging me is just how many people from Yemen,Somalia,Libya,,Iraq,Iran,Sudan,Syria does Washington have ?

When did it become a mecca.
edit on 6-2-2017 by neo96 because: Fixed.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

“I, ___ ___, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich,

Well that judge has epicaly failed.

I will administer justice without respect to persons and do EQUAL right.

Letting immigrants from seven known TERRORIST hotspots is not administering justice or giving equal right to the people that live here.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Actually it did, it prevented people with visas (who live here) from being kept out of the country.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Actually it did, it prevented people with visas (who live here) from being kept out of the country.

They were in the "waiver" column.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

WHY do people keep IGNORING this ?

WASHINGTON—The Department of Homeland Security today announced that it is continuing its implementation of the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 with the addition of Libya, Somalia, and Yemen as three countries of concern, limiting Visa Waiver Program travel for certain individuals who have traveled to these countries.

Pursuant to the Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security had sixty days to determine whether additional countries or areas of concern should be subject to the travel or dual nationality restrictions under the Act.After careful consideration, and in consultation with the Director of National Intelligence and the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security has determined that Libya, Somalia, and Yemen be included as countries of concern, specifically for individuals who have traveled to these countries since March 1, 2011. At this time, the restriction on Visa Waiver Program travel will not apply to dual nationals of these three countries. DHS continues to consult with the Department of State and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence to develop further criteria to determine whether other countries would be added to this list.

www.dhs.gov...

Release Date: February 18, 2016

Explain to me.

How not just a year ago.

Restrictions were OK.

And today we have TRO's

edit on 6-2-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Your source:

Individuals impacted will still be able to apply for a visa using the regular immigration process at our embassies or consulates. For those who need a U.S. visa for urgent business, medical, or humanitarian travel to the United States, U.S. embassies and consulates stand ready to provide visa interview appointments on an expedited basis. The new law does not ban travel to the United States, or admission into the United States, and the great majority of Visa Waiver Program travelers will not be affected.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
50,000 a year, that`s why I don`t understand all the hoopla over the "ban" only 50,000 a year can come here anyway and that`s the maximum there is no minimum that has to be allowed in.

There doesn`t need to be a ban to keep all 50,000 of them out, just make the vetting procedure so rigorous that none of them will pass it.the trump folks doing the vetting can just say we didn`t allow any of them to come in last year because we couldn`t verify their backgrounds.

there is no valid argument that the media or anyone else could make to dispute that claim.

I`m thinking that this ban thing is either just a shiny bobble to keep the press monkeys distracted or Trump isn`t as smart as he thinks he is.
edit on 6-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I see someone skipped over this part.

DHS continues to consult with the Department of State and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence to develop further criteria to determine whether other countries would be added to this list.

And this part.

The addition of these three countries is indicative of the Department’s continued focus on the threat of foreign fighters. DHS continues to review the security of the Visa Waiver Program, the threat environment, and potential vulnerabilities. This is the latest step in a series of actions over the past 15 months to strengthen the security of the Visa Waiver Program and ensure the Program’s requirements are commensurate with the growing threat from foreign terrorist fighters, many of whom are nationals of Visa Waiver Program countries.

And this?

Individuals impacted will still be able to apply for a visa using the regular immigration process at our embassies or consulates.

Just because they apply doesn't mean they have to be granted.

Hell it should be like how the rest of us deal with US bureaucracy like those that buy a suppressor and it taken MONTHS before they find out it they are approved or not.
edit on 6-2-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Just because they apply doesn't mean they have to be granted.
Correct. But they can apply. And the law has no effect on those who already carry visas.

I don't see anything there about shutting down the processing of refugees, either. Saying "Obama did the same thing" is nonsense.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Saying "Obama did the same thing" is nonsense.

Nonsense ?

As a result of the Kentucky case, the State Department stopped processing Iraq refugees for six months in 2011, federal officials told ABC News – even for many who had heroically helped U.S. forces as interpreters and intelligence assets. One Iraqi who had aided American troops was assassinated before his refugee application could be processed, because of the immigration delays, two U.S. officials said. In 2011, fewer than 10,000 Iraqis were resettled as refugees in the U.S., half the number from the year before, State Department statistics show.

Alrightie then

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Nonsense ?
Relocation of goalpost noted. I thought we were talking about this:
www.dhs.gov...

Regarding 2011, however. That single article seems to be the only reference to shutdown of refugee processing. I've looked for other confirmation, to no avail.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

The Goal post wasn't moved.

Those 3 countries are talked about.

So was this.

STATES were added.

DHS continues to consult with the Department of State and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence to develop further criteria to determine whether other countries would be added to this list.

4 additional states were added under the SAME authority.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join