It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HL2 deathmatch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
OK. I have Half Life 2 and have beaten it twice. There is a death match component witht he game that I would like to try out. I have a problem though. I have never played an online game in my life. I never even talked to anyone online before untill I joined ATS. So, if there is someone out there who could give this online gaming noob some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if anybody has HL2 and the deathmatch component, and you want to show m the ropes online, let me know.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
C'mon! Somebody has to have HL2 deathmatch! somebody throw me a bone!

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Hi there im the c man.

im 13 and i love stuff like Half Life. Basiucly what you need is the program yourself or you can download it using steam. Once ypu do that open the program go to find servers, click refresh and WHAM!!! there ya go half life 2 online....by the way you cant use the actuall half life 2 game to do this you have to get half life 2 which is an entirely seperate program...and another by the way WHAT IS THE GMAN!!??? me and my buds have like starded a conspirie to see what he is.....i think hes a M.I.B agent cause he matches the description perfectly...

P.S ive never played half life online but i have plaued counter strike source so im just assuming there alot a like...You No Lots of Shootin

[edit on 30-1-2005 by CMAN]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
For some reason, when I click on the thread, I cant see a reply. I saw one on myATS page, but not on the actual page. Do me a favor and u2u me your reply. Im about to get off and play some HL2 anyway, hopefully, this has something to do with it

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I used to play Counter-Strike for a long time before the kiddies took over way back when.
Here are a couple of tips.

1) walking makes you quiet, if you think someone is nearby then walk. It makes you more accurate as well.

2) learn the maps so you can run round them backwards. Try and find all the choke points and ambush locations if you can.

3) Camping (ambushing someone ) is not a sin. So if you can, ambush the buggers.

4) Try and aim for the upper body or head, the hit boxes there are bigger so you have a better chance of getting a hit.

5) reload frequently, there is nothing worse than getting caught short ammo wise.

6) Learn your weapons, all weapons is CS ( so imagine HL2 death match as well ) have different handling characteristics, different recoil etc.

7) Ignore the l337 d00d kiddies, they will take the p!ss but everyone has to start somewhere. Don't get discouraged when you keep getting whacked, just take note of where it happened and what happened and don't make the same mistake again.

8) When you die focus your camera on the person who whacked you, follow him with the camera and watch what he does, how he moves, where he goes etc. You can learn a lot that way.

9) If you can stay with someone that way you can cover each others backs.

10) Voice comms were a God send in CS so listen out for your team mates if they have voice comms and try to help them out, also if you have voice comms do the same.

11) Remember online gaming isnt about how good the game looks but about how fast your frame rate and ping is. The higher the frame rate and the better your connection the more accurate you are and you can react. Before you join a server check the ping and reject anything that pings higher than 50. Also when you are in game and the frame rate is crap then bailout and adjust your settings, turn down the eye candy and you will become faster.
All of the above depends upon your rig and connection. I run a P4 2.6 with HT
and have 1gig 333htz ram, Randeon 9600 256, 17 inch relisys moniter set at 80 htz refresh and i get along just fine. I also have a 1 meg broadband connection.

Ok that's it, i played CS for a long time and got quite good but i never played HL death match but i suppose the above tips can be used for HL as well.
Have fun and if you find a quiet server let me know and i will see if i can have a game with you. If not then give me a shout and i will set up a 2 man CS-source server and run you through a few bits and bobs. Good luck.

Oh and by the way if anyone reads this and knows a CS server with no kiddies let me know, after writing this i have a strange longing to play the game again, i will be rusty as hell but i suppose its like riding a bike.

Oh i forgot to add, never spray and pray. Fire in short bursts and dont crouch, your hitboxes come together making you more likly to get shot in the head.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Janus]

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Janus]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I might have the original counter strike layiing around somewhere. If you want, send me a U2U and we can play sometime. Id rather play with people I have conversed with than not

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Hey now I usually play team deathmatch But If you want me to show you how to play some deathmatch or even team deathmatch I will show you some maps and how to play I will be glad to. I can't show you now though because I am in class but i will be glad to later today before I go to work If you want you can U2U me your Instant messanger screen name if you have it and I will I.M. you when I get out of school

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
I might have the original counter strike layiing around somewhere. If you want, send me a U2U and we can play sometime. Id rather play with people I have conversed with than not

Id be happy to play a few rounds of CS with you. If you are running HL2 through steam then you don't need to dust off the old copy of CS you already have the new versions, 1.6 and CS-Source. Just go to your steam games menu right click on CS source and CS 1.6 and choose download. A long download later you will be good to go.
If you ever want a game just U2U me and we will set something up. Could be a bit difficult seeing as we live on the other side of the planet to each other but im game for a laugh.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
ok...

open up steam, click "play games", double-click "half-life 2: deathmatch" and it should start...

then just click the top option, something along the lines of "play noy" or "join now"...

click a server (game room) that is NOT full, for example: 22 / 45...

just type if you have any questions...

top topics

join