It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Vertical Forest In Asia Turns CO2 Into 132 Pounds Of Oxygen Per Day

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm also not a fan of artists conceptual drawings. I want to see the finished project, because in many instances innovative projects crash and burn never being completed.

www.youtube.com...

Here's his Milan (finished) Project. In looking at it I'm questioning his tree numbers and the actual acreage. There are tons of perennials, and the trees are smallish yet (3 yrs old) in this location. I'm also skeptical of the repeated "functioning vertical forest" when it's quite obviously NOT a functioning ecosystem. It's a bunch of landscaping plants slapped on a high-rise.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Not sure where the net gain is it's not like the trees and plants grew overnight they had to come from somewhere else.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
First Vertical Forest In Asia Turns CO2 Into 132 Pounds Of Oxygen Per Day

I totally forget people.

Don't forget about fall/winter.

Where nothing gets produced, and everything goes dormant.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: waftist

Perhaps, but surely that will be considered in design.

It's not just about the design.

Let's say it takes off.

Goes globally and transforms the urban landscapes.

Now instead of c02 levels rising, 02 levels would be rise.

I don't think man in his entire history ever learned the word moderation.

Really, 02 levels rising to cause a problem?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This idea has been around for a while.

But, wouldn't it be easier to just stop cutting down the rainforests of Indonesia and South America, in the first place?

How much rain forest timber, do they use to construct these buildings?

Instead of clearing land for mining etc, how about planting more trees and vegetation where it actually grows naturally?

That Chinese picture is lovely, but I notice, and good on the city planners, that the streets in that image are already lined with many many trees...helping the O2 level. As are most human cities, well in the US, Australia, Canada etc at least.

Im all for growing trees......but I think STOPPING cutting them down in the first place, would be a more efficient, dare say "Intelligent" thing to do???

Of course, this is not counting Human greed, of all colours.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I would like to see what that looks like after a big storm!

Timber... watch out below as trees come raining down to the ground (and probably through windows).

Sorry, common sense gene kicked in immediately when I saw that.

edit on 6-2-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang

I love the idea, a natural CO2 filtration system for the city.

But unless its heavily subsidised by the government its not viable. Numerous factors are important here.
1. Maintenance and cost. Which will be absailers/arborist.
2. Extreme fire hazard. This means no smoking even on the balcony.
3. Clean up of debris leaves and falling branches.
4. Wildlife attraction, more pigeons and their poo.
5. Not all sides of a building are bathed in sunlight only a 3rd of what is shown will grow.
5. Water, who pays? In the end the cost are passed down to the Tennant.

The one at Milan looks like a normal unit complex with a garden on there balcony very common in Australia.

This is not a solution and how this passes government building codes is beyond me, im guess its a knee jerk reaction like some of the above post.

Reminds me of Solar freaking roadways...

What a stupid idea.

1)All buildings have maintenance costs this will have more but the outcome may outweigh additional costs. In China I'd imagine the gov will cover costs. Elsewhere it may be added to rent or ownership cost.
2)They could include sprinkler system and equip all residents with fire extinguisher.
3and4) much of the debris can be added to top of soil and existing plant beds, poo could be used for fertlizer.
5] the design could account for this by choosing various sun requirement varieties, full sun, partial and shade tolerant.
6) water will get paid for anyway and I think if they recycle it, it could actually reduce over all cost or at least keep it practical.

"Not a solution" hmm..that's the spirit? A knee-jerk response?
All these things challenges are considered I would think, otherwise this project wouldn't be funded, drafted and built.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Let's say it takes off.

High 02 levels was a hallmark of the age of dinosaurs. And really really big bugs.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
Not very practical. Have you ever seen a forest floor? Can you imagine walking at street level and all sorts of debris falls on a regular basis?

Maybe this fine in China but in the US, I would rather see a lot more horizontal forests, fewer cut down or simply replanted. We have the land mass and not as many people as China.

I don't think the floors will be fauna, because yea, that would not work. I think rather it is a balanced use of space. The debris could be recycled for the buildings or collected and spread in other areas of city as chip or bark-a-mulch.
I too would love to see more forests and I get excited with any tree planting project, which to me, this idea incorporates.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

Let's say it takes off.

High 02 levels was a hallmark of the age of dinosaurs. And really really big bugs.

Big bugs = protein = food source.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
I'm also not a fan of artists conceptual drawings. I want to see the finished project, because in many instances innovative projects crash and burn never being completed.

www.youtube.com...

Here's his Milan (finished) Project. In looking at it I'm questioning his tree numbers and the actual acreage. There are tons of perennials, and the trees are smallish yet (3 yrs old) in this location. I'm also skeptical of the repeated "functioning vertical forest" when it's quite obviously NOT a functioning ecosystem. It's a bunch of landscaping plants slapped on a high-rise.

Too true and part of me wonders if China is rushing this thing out too quickly and it may not work as intended. I want to believe it is a step in the right direction though and issues will be worked out ultimately. Yea there is a differnce between total eco-balance and simple landscaping, but both are good ideas imo, but naturally I se potential in eco design. Thanks for the link too
edit on 6-2-2017 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Sure, just watch out for giant ticks and mosquitoes.

And 2 foot long killer land scorpions.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Sure, just watch out for giant ticks and mosquitoes.

And 2 foot long killer land scorpions.

All protein and edible, except for the scorpions tail.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

General rule; green black or brown wolf it down, red orange or yellow avoid that fellow.

Rising 02 levels would allow for larger species across the board, but keep in mind high 02 levels is toxic to humans over extended periods of time.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

General rule; green black or brown wolf it down, red orange or yellow avoid that fellow.

Rising 02 levels would allow for larger species across the board, but keep in mind high 02 levels is toxic to humans over extended periods of time.

Toxic how?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I love the idea, cant see this working with residential neighborhood, but you could force it commercially. There is never a lack of ideas, problem is implementing them

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Oxygen is a poison to be technical, it's a reason it's not good to breath 100 percent oxygen.

In the case of slightly increased oxygen levels, there are some drawbacks:

The process of oxidation in the human body damages cell membranes and other structures including cellular proteins, lipids and DNA. When oxygen is metabolised, it creates 'free radicals' which steal electrons from other molecules, causing damage. The body can cope with some free radicals and needs them to function effectively. However, an overload of free radicals has been linked to certain diseases, including heart disease, liver disease and some cancers. Oxidation can be accelerated by stress, cigarette smoking, alcohol, sunlight, pollution and other factors.

www3.amherst.edu...

Breathing oxygen, oxidizes the lungs, and is part of why we age and eventually die.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Let's say it takes off.

Well nature takes time, I'm sure we can outpace anything she sends our way in terms of evolution.

We're too fast, heck in 100 years chances are we'll be a much lonelier species, we're excellent at not sharing this planet.

Maybe we need some giant bugs to keep us in check.

Here in the UK the only wildlife left is that we tolerate, the Romans had it good. Those that came to thousands of years before had it better. My stomach is gutted that the only wild game is pheasant, my bastard ancestors were greedy sods.

Giant insect stir fry, I'd give it a go.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

Yes, I read that oxygen does that, but has it been studied, and if so, what levels does it cause free radicals. All of this, I am sure, would be investigated if ever we build these vertical green units.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I haven't really looked into all of that.

Studies have shown that people who live at higher altitudes (less oxygen), tend to live longer and have less risk of heart disease.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join