It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump’s simplistic, illogical worldview, in one tweet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
"Any negative polls are fake news" -Donald Trump

Does anything else really have to be said? Or can we agree that this man's take on reality when it's something he doesn't agree with isn't reality at all.

President Trump has finally admitted to his overarching theory about which polls are right and which ones are wrong. And it's very simple: Polls that are bad for Trump = wrong This isn't much of a surprise; Trump has been bashing any poll that is bad for him and praising any poll that is good for him — no matter how dubious the quality — for as long as he's been a politician. But few politicians would cop to this approach so directly.

"Any negative polls are fake news." This is Trump signaling to his supporters that they are to dismiss any bad news about him. Never mind the methodology of a given poll or how Trump is actually doing as president; if something is negative, it has to be wrong. This is at once a completely Trump worldview and also one that would get any student taking Statistics 101 a failing grade. Trump insists in his next tweet that he relies on the “accumulation of data” to make his decisions, but in this tweet, he is expressing contempt for any data that don't fit his preconceived notions or desires.

But his approach just has no basis in logic. It's almost alogical, rather than illogical. It's also allowing for Trump to do basically anything and claim a vast conspiracy against him by pollsters when they show people don't like it. Unemployment could skyrocket and Trump could start World War III by accident, and the polls showing him unpopular would just be “fake news.” There is no limit to the power Trump is attempting to assert when it comes to leading his base.

www.washingtonpost.com... s

How do you rationalize this? Instantly believing anything negative about what you're doing is fake? The President having his own version of reality is a dangerous thing to me. If you believe it's ok, why? I'm genuinely curious why this would be ok with people.

+22 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Here's a link to his full tweet for context.
twitter.com...

Any negative polls are fake news, just like the CNN, ABC, NBC polls in the election. Sorry, people want border security and extreme vetting.

ETA: Not that I'm taking up for him, but it makes more sense in context. Even I've started doubting every "poll" I see after the election day snafu.
edit on 6-2-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
CNN, ABC and NBC polls are fake news.

Or have people already forgotten their laughable election predictions?
edit on -060012pm2kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Trump is right..
As the pools comes from the media that have declared war on the US president
CNN/ORC polls that is, as fake as it gets.. eagerly want to put him in a bad light

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

twitter.com...

Any negative polls are fake news, just like the CNN, ABC, NBC polls in the election. Sorry, people want border security and extreme vetting.

ETA: Not that I'm taking up for him, but it makes more sense in context. Even I've started doubting every "poll" I see after the election day snafu.

Thanks, I looked for a jpg of the tweet but couldn't find one.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

They were actually correct. Don't forget that Trump lost the popular vote.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stevenjames15
a reply to: Ohanka

They were actually correct. Don't forget that Trump lost the popular vote.

If they were right then obviously Hillary must be President.

If she is she's doing a pretty poor job of it.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

twitter.com...

Context is a thing of beauty. Who quotes a single clause while leaving out the rest of the sentence? It's quote mining. Thank you for doing that.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Hey what better example than you posting an opinion OP from the Washington Post.

No a thing to see here.

edit on 6-2-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

twitter.com...

Context is a thing of beauty. Who quotes a single clause while leaving out the rest of the sentence? It's quote mining. Thank you for doing that.

It still means the exact same thing. The first part is a statement, and the second is comparing that statement to what Trump thinks of as "fake news" in regards to the polls.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

The only news is the Presidents news.

Trust no other.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Their polls were wrong before, I see no reason for them to be right now, given the medias full blown propaganda and agitation war against Trump and to an extent, the state itself.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

As you can see here and now.... It's not only Donald. You sure as hell will get quite a number of additional examples

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

When the MSM goes out it's way to oversample to get the desired results, that is dishonest!

Here is an example of a poll from CNN. So President Trump isn't all wrong!

Trump May Be Correct: CNN's Latest Immigration Poll Includes Aggressive "Oversample"

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Their polls were wrong before, I see no reason for them to be right now, given the medias full blown propaganda and agitation war against Trump and to an extent, the state itself.

What would it take for you to believe something Trump is doing is having a negative impact, or the opposite of what he says?

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

He's not wrong in the context in which he made this statement. The majority of Americans want our borders secure and support the immigration moratorium.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Evidence.

Like if Trump's travel restriction were to go into force, and the very same day Wahhabis began swarming into the country and shooting up the place, that would be a definite policy failure.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

twitter.com...

It still means the exact same thing. The first part is a statement, and the second is comparing that statement to what Trump thinks of as "fake news" in regards to the polls.

It is clear he is talking about the negative polls in regards to his immigration ban, which is emphasized by his next sentence. And yes, the polls during the election were dead wrong.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

He's not wrong in the context in which he made this statement. The majority of Americans want our borders secure and support the immigration moratorium.

How do you know the majority of Americans support his immigration EO? And not just Trumps supporters?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

twitter.com...

It is clear he is talking about the negative polls in regards to his immigration ban, which is emphasized by his next sentence. And yes, the polls during the election were dead wrong.

I agree, the polls about the election were way off. But I don't believe a majority of Americans support his immigration EO. And thinking that any reports of people not supporting it are fake, is just, well, asinine.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join