It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to Be Barred From U.K. Parliament Over ‘Racism and Sexism’

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Good for them. Barring Drumpf from their parliment isn't an insult to the United States; Drumpf himself is an insult to the United States.
Now, if we could only find a way to bar him from Capitol Hill.
edit on 2/7/17 by NotTooHappy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: randomthoughts12

There are people who simply voted for Trump, support his ideas and hope he follows through, then there are the nutjob cult members that act like the claw machine aliens in toy story who will cheer no matter what he does.

If the latter part doesn't apply to you why take offence? Seems it's just as easy to trigger the right as the left. Bunch of overly sensitive people in America it seems.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

U.S. President Donald Trump must not be allowed to address the U.K. Parliament during a state visit to Britain, speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow said on Monday.

Prime Minister Theresa May invited Trump to visit the U.K. and there have been calls by lawmakers not to give the president the honor of addressing both houses of Parliament after he introduced an immigration ban on people from some majority-Muslim countries.

“Before the imposition of the migrant ban I would myself have been very strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall; after the imposition I’m even more strongly opposed,” Bercow told lawmakers. “I feel very strongly our opposition to racism and sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons.”

Trump to Be Barred From U.K. Parliament Over ‘Racism and Sexism’

This is a huge insult to Trump, Trump supporters, and the United States. How will Trump respond?

Will he call the U.K. Parliament a "so-called Parliament"? Will he claim that any repercussions of his lack of ability to make a speech will be the fault of the U.K. Parliament and not his own?

The fact is that as Trump becomes increasingly isolated, it will be harder to take him seriously when he attacks his detractors. That tactic only goes so far.

Good luck with that Brexit without the U.S as a friend.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Thread title is misleading. It's about whether he gets to speak in the house of Commons or not. And if Bercow says no, neither the queen nor Theresa may have the power to overturn it.

This is excellent news. He hasn't earned the right to speak in the commons. Crying on twitter about a weak Saturday night entertainment show (I'm no fan of trump, but SNL really is awful) when he should be running the country.

Maybe a year from now if the economy is up, good things are happening and he's grown up a bit - but for now, no.
edit on 7-2-2017 by fencesitter85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

but that digression aside it is a disgrace that black people in America were ever enslaved to begin with.

That it took a war to sort it out is sad. It actually didn't take a war, but thats a different topic.

They were enslaved before America was a country, and they were enslaved in other countries including in South America. They were enslaved by black Africans who captured them and then sold them off. It also wasn't just black people who were enslaved.

The muslims did their fair share of slave trading also.

Right up till yesterday.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   
The U.K. will be just one of several stops for President Trump..and not until July or August.
Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
a reply to: randomthoughts12
Seems it's just as easy to trigger the right as the left. Bunch of overly sensitive people in America it seems.

There's definitely a large chunk of truth in what you say here, the problem is there are a bunch of overly sensitive the world over, all these divisive protests and some people would say even a terrorist attack (though I think that conclusion was jumped to because the suspect had 'liked' Trump on facebook which, to me, is a tenuous link).

I consider myself quite far left, a very liberal person but even I'm getting fed up of these protests. Don't get me wrong, I wanted Trump to defeat Clinton but I still think Trump could be dangerous to the world and her people. If he turns out to be good for the world at large I wil eat my words.

It will be interesting to hear what Darth May has said to Bercow regarding his little wander off of the path of impartiality that he;s meant to stick to...

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone
Good luck with that Brexit without the U.S as a friend.

I'm opposed to Brexit (even the makey-up word itself grinds my gears) and this whole thing, potentially, could cause a few problems for Darth May (which can only be a good thing as far I'm concerned). I also can't stand Trump (even though, as I have mentioned here and elsewhere, I wanted him to win (the alternative didn't bear thinking about). All that being said I think Bercow is an embarassment to the UK, he's stepped out of line and should be fired toot sweet...

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I'm actually against Trump and this is utter B.S

It's clear that the head honchos are very flustered right now, and as we all should know (being members of ATS) this can only mean one thing.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents
I'm sure the Parliament would be fine with the visit so long as little Barron was brought along, right?

Oooo i see what you did there.....nasty

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: fencesitter85

This is what you call diplomacy? The fairly elected leader of the worlds most powerful nation, not to mention one of the few trading allies Britain has in the post Brexit world, and you think he did not yet earn the right to make a diplomatic appearance in front of Parliment?

Its one thing to be an over bearing tool like Trump. Its another thing entirely to piss away opportunity on behalf of your nation just to stand on unnecessary principle.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

This is what you call diplomacy? The fairly elected leader of the worlds most powerful nation, not to mention one of the few trading allies Britain has in the post Brexit world, and you think he did not yet earn the right to make a diplomatic appearance in front of Parliment?

Its one thing to be an over bearing tool like Trump. Its another thing entirely to piss away opportunity on behalf of your nation just to stand on unnecessary principle.

It's just to speak in the house of Commons. It doesn't affect any potential trade deals unless trump is too childish to look past it and continue on with the PM as normal. If we were discussing him being banned from visiting then I'd agree with you.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   

, and you think he did not yet earn the right to make a diplomatic appearance in front of Parliment?

Why?

And its not a "right" it is a privillage.

Other US presidents have waited a few years to speak before parliment.....some have not at all.

Trump has only been president a few weeks. The snowflake can wait a year or two like past presidents

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I recall the PM coming hat in hand to get a first in line meeting for a trade deal. Its one thing to whine about a mans lack of diplomacy. Its another entirely to show a lack of diplomacy yourself.

But you're right...i misspoke. Its not a right. President Trump can stand in line and wait his turn. Maybe you guys can work out a trade deal with Mongolia in the mean time.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Im just pointing out that elected leaders not acting in the best interest of their nations prosperity are likely derelict in their duty.

I don't really care if Trump gets to bloviate for your Commons or not.
The only reason I ever watch him speak is to get some good laughs in.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I recall the PM coming hat in hand to get a first in line meeting for a trade deal. Its one thing to whine about a mans lack of diplomacy. Its another entirely to show a lack of diplomacy yourself.

But you're right...i misspoke. Its not a right. President Trump can stand in line and wait his turn. Maybe you guys can work out a trade deal with Mongolia in the mean time.

1) Trump does not need to speak in front of parliment for any trade deal.
2) He gets a state visit which is a honor in itself and something few presidents get so soon.
3) The speaker is not representung the views or goverment in power. He is no diffrent from the upstart judges in the USA trying to use legal loopholes to railroad Trump.
4) Trump needs to learn he cant have everything.
He should be happy with the state visit, which as i said is a honor few presidents get so soon.

Also Bercow will be delt with. He made a very very dangrous enemy in May who us ruthless and likely has a higher body count than clinton. At the very least Bercow career will be over.
edit on 7-2-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

“I feel very strongly our opposition to racism and sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons

what a load of nonsense. Im from UK be happy to see him here. At least to see what he has to say. One of the most powerful countries that is looking to make trade deals would be wise to entertain now exit is moving forward.

people who say racist, sexist etc etc. Just buzz words to bring people down. It has no meaning,. im sure most of his work force rin the US and outside are foreign labour. Just like the UK in industrial companies.

I do agree about the tax payers paying for such a large event, he can still visit without all the bells and whistles to have a meeting at least. he has done more in office already than Obama has done in 4 years to help the people.

humans don't know a good thing if it slapped them in the face. People voted for Obama for Change, there was no positive changes for the people unless it benefited the masses. . Trump is actually changing things for the better so far, he cant keep everyone happy no doubt

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
What a load of crap.

Let's flush 80 years of relations down the crapper because of a total non-issue that isn't even true outside of the hardleft wing medias echo chamber.

Oh, like trashing 100 years of relationship with Australia? That's OK to do but not this?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Why would Trump want to waste his time with those guys if they don't want to listen?

He'll have a nice chat and dinner with the queen, thank her for the spotted dick and move on.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I've never considered a state dinner as an honor.

But im not into pomp and circumstance. I like eating in my houseshoes.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join