It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Alt-Right, Trump and ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+77 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I have been meaning to write this thread for some time now however the challenge with a thread like this is the lack of individuals whom it is about who will own their ideological beliefs. This creates a huge difficulty because many members who have strong alt-right ideologies refuse to acknowledge them yet at the same time will make alt-right arguments. The result is a very tedious debate that is almost impossible to have because one side will not even fully admit to the far right views he or she holds. This is becoming a larger and larger phenomenon on ATS and as such I thought a thread exploring how the alt-right relates to ATS could be of interest.

Like almost all political ideologies defining the alt-right is not quite as straight forward as we would like to be however most agree that it is a far-right political ideology that believes that the political right in America has been betrayed by conventional conservatism who have become part of the ruling establishment. This ideology has been mostly attributed to rising up through online conservative activists and through some elements of the tea-party movement. The Alt-right hold what are regarded as typically far-right views such as racial and religious segregation strong avocation of second amendment rights, strong limitation of government power and with a strong conspiracy twist. This is an ideology that feels the left has taken over with political correctness and social equality and welfare. Right now the big topic within the alt-right is the belief, or the fear, that Islam is going to take over America.

The videos below offer an explanation of the Alt-right, they give a far better explanation than I can.

This second video however is far more interesting it comes from Milo Yiannopoulos, who is regarded as one of the leaders of the Atl-right. What I find interesting is how his views seem to echo that that are often found on ATS.

This same Ideology has very strong links to groups like BAIR, Solders of Odin or the EDL and other far-right white supremacist groups. This guy has also written for Britbart, who as we all know has been very closely linked to the Trump campaign with Steven Bannon also being championed as a member of the Alt-right. The appointment of Steve Bannon as Trumps special advisor indicates that the alt-right is woven into the fabric of the Trump administration.

Another thing I have noticed about the alt-right that is very applicable to ATS is the use of conspiracy theories. A prime example being Trumps birther claims against Obama or Ted Cruz’s father being implicated in the JFK assassination and claims of voter fraud and so on.

The point I am trying to make to link all of this together is that there are several ideological views such as strong anti-immigration, anti-Islamic views, small government and second amendment rights that are very prolific on ATS. These views are also very popular in the alt-right and the Trump administration. Day after day there are several threads praising Trump and the views of the alt-right furthermore threads that criticise the Alt-right and Trump are flamed.

My conclusion is that since the start of the 2016 election cycle up until now ATS has transformed from a site that mostly focused on alternative topics and conspiracies to a site that is mostly now focused on discussion of the alt-right. I am not wanting to label any individuals as “racist” rather I think that people should own their views rather than hide behind them because they believe them to be socially unacceptable.

edit on 6-2-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+117 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Being an advocate of the 2nd Amendment is a "far right belief" now?

Weird how advocating for an individual's rights is a far right belief. I wonder when that happened.

+32 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Weird how advocating for an individual's rights is a far right belief. I wonder when that happened.

I am talking about it as a collection of beliefs.

Being a advocate of second amendment rights does not make you far right.

Refusing any and all gun control and attending alt-right demonstrations might.

If we can i would rather this did not turn into a debate on second amendment rights as that is not the point of the thread.
edit on 6-2-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+45 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

hold what are regarded as typically far-right views such as racial and religious segregation strong avocation of second amendment rights,

Your words, not mine.

+73 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
What is alt right ?

A new political neologism that was created because I guess calling right wingers neo nazis,white supremacists got old.

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

hold what are regarded as typically far-right views such as racial and religious segregation strong avocation of second amendment rights,

Your words, not mine.

Yes my words taken out of context, to put them into to context.

The Alt-right hold what are regarded as typically far-right views such as racial and religious segregation strong avocation of second amendment rights, strong limitation of government power and with a strong conspiracy twist. This is an ideology that feels the left has taken over with political correctness and social equality and welfare. Right now the big topic within the alt-right is the belief, or the fear, that Islam is going to take over America.

I am quite clear i am talking about a collection of beliefs not saying that being pro-gun makes you a member of the alt-right that would be utterly ridiculous as many on the left are also advocates of the second amendment.

(post by AttentionGrabber removed for a manners violation)
+48 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Is anybody who believes in small government and the second amendment alt right? Or do we also have to be Islamophobic?

So were the founding fathers Alt right?
edit on 6-2-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The point I am trying to make to link all of this together is that there are several ideological views such as strong anti-immigration, anti-Islamic views, small government and second amendment rights that are very prolific on ATS.

Hi

So I wanted to address this bit here. First, I dont disagree with your overall theme of this thread, but felt the need to break this down.

Racists are anti-immigrant. Racists however are few and far between thankfully (but always soo damn loud..especially in places like youtube comments and twitter). The alt-right are anti-illegal, and anti-refugee (also lets be honest..anti-islamic).
This brings me to the next point
Anti-islamic....
Even in my most lefty semi-progressive lazy sjw phase, I have been anti-islamic. Not anti-arab, or anti muslim guy doing his muslim things..but islam specifically..that religion/culture. That I tucked away as part of my desire as an atheist for a secular society. Cant blame that as being some right wing thing..its quite the opposite really.

As far as 2nd amendment...left needs to abandon the issues with guns and simply work for safe and sane practices with guns instead of propping up the odd idiots wanting to ban this and that...it'll never happen and it shouldn't anyhow.

Some progressive who was cheering on the riots recently asked me why us rightys (lol..yes, I am called a alt-right by the left, and a sjw by the right..I am comfortable where I am) needed machine guns..you dont need a machine gun to take down a deer.
The answer was simple..its to use against rioters who are trying to bust into your home and car. Haven't heard back from him..I guess its hard to disagree with that logic. Point is, the 1st amendment is protected by the 2nd.

Otherwise..yeah, the echo chamber and Trump fawning forum ATS has become is dull and pointless. The Trump love has replaced the endless Obama conspiracys threads of 09 (which at least had merit as they were conspiracys..birther stuff, sleeper cell muslim stuff, etc)

+44 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I've pretty much given up on ATS. Originally I came here for non-mainstream topics covered, more the mysterious and paranormal tinged with discussion on things like the breakaway civilisation and more fringe conspiracy themes. However, now it seems to have become primary a political website, with most of members seeming to be die hard Trump supporters.

So I will drop in now and then to check out some of the paranormal subs but overall, not interested in American politics.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

One of the big core beliefs of the Alt-right is around racial and religious segregation.

The belief being that when a foreign culture enters into the native culture that culture then tries to take over and influence the native culture and that is something that the alt-right want to stamp out. I actually think there is a bit of a nuance here in that its not such much "we are better than you" racism but rather "we dont want your culture mixing with ours, watering it down".

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Day after day there are several threads praising Trump and the views of the alt-right furthermore threads that criticise the Alt-right and Trump are flamed.

Poor thing, the Trump flamers are getting flamed you say? That seems unfair.

+30 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
How dare the OP try to label me. Trying to subvert my views into some matriarchal, hierarchical, idea-normative, alt-idea framework!
I will not let society define my views for me!

Good luck OP trying to catch water with a net.

You are so screwed. You don't get it.

+13 more 
link   
a reply to: AttentionGrabber

I dont think you are quite getting this.

If you are a advocate of the alt-right I am not criticising you for it only asking that you own it.

Secondly I am making the point that ATS has moved away from being about conspiracy discussion towards being about discussing pro alt-right views. Its turned into the discussion forum for Britbart News.

I think as members we have to acknowledge this as the content for this site is made by and driven by us, the members.

+3 more 
link   
I think the alt-right, is simply some conservative types, who convey their message through humor and pointing out the ridiculous hypocrisy of the left.

Non-government conservatives who have more influence than the ones in government.
That is why they are attacked so viciously.

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Excellent post. But, you saw it coming. People picking apart the tiniest detail. They will not own up to it.

+34 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Racists are anti-immigrant.

And anyone that has a problem with ILLEGAL immigrant doesn't make them a 'racist'.

The only thing it makes them is a believer in the rule of LAW.

There IS a difference.

Come to this country the right way.

What this country doesn't need is more people that think they are above such trival things as US LAW.

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
So if I understand you correctly OtherSideOfTheCoin; you are lamenting the fact that people who you disagree with on topics such as the Second Amendment and Immigration arent willing to accept the idea that you think they are racists and xenophobic for having a different point of view as your self.

I agree it would be so much easier if those you want to so easily dismiss would just role over and accept their dismissal. But life just doesn't work like that; for every right you have to your opinion so too do others. Your going to have to learn to live with these people; because like you, they aren't going anywhere.

I would suggest; instead of worrying why these people don't agree with you about how morally wrong they are; that you try to find common ground with them, place your arguments in a context that is important to them, then maybe you can get some of them to agree to some of your larger concerns.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Out of context? Hardly.

The Alt-right hold what are regarded as typically far-right views such as racial and religious segregation strong avocation of second amendment rights, strong limitation of government power and with a strong conspiracy twist.

Emphasis mine. The bold part negates any sort of claim to "you have to think all of these things to be alt-right" and turns it into "these things are a list I've made of alt-right beliefs."

As you said, "own your views."

Thing is, I don't entirely disagree with the premise of your OP. There's been a shift in focus on ATS over the last several months. I just disagree with the manner in which you've elected to make your point.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o
I think the alt-right, is simply some conservative types, who convey their message through humor and pointing out the ridiculous hypocrisy of the left.

Non-government conservatives who have more influence than the ones in government.
That is why they are attacked so viciously.

I would not disagree with this as being a big part of the alt-right.

The origins of the movement are found in the internet, and it started out as lots of provocative meme's and tweets to get attention.

In the last few years however I think it has grown beyond this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join