It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superbowl - The most racist city in America wins again (SNL perspective)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
On Saturday Night Live (Feb 4 2017) I was watching the "Weekend Update" with Michael Chang and thought the way he ended the segment was a again just a little too divisive and racist, it didn't feel like he was really joking to a lot people.

"I just want to watch the blackest city in America beat the most racist city I've ever been to".

Then at the Superbowl, the whole tone of the game commentary seemed pro Atlanta to me and the cherry on top was some nonsense that included the statistic that said from all major sports between the "Atlanta area" vs "New England" or what they were really saying "Black vs White", New England was 36-1 (with the Atlanta Braves win being the only exception). The tone was a "won't this feel good because of that" if we win.

Another prime example of media unnecessarily pushing not just tribalism, but racism? Maybe prematurely rubbing it in isn't such a great idea anymore.

Now that New England won yet again, do these comments add to the "white privilege" resentment? Tom Brady and family are pretty much the whitest people in America...and won despite a 4 game suspension at the beginning of the year, which the commissioner who imposed it felt while presenting another trophy through a chorus of boos.

I hadn't watched a game all year and really was looking forward to "turning my brain off for few hours" and just watching a game too...but the media just can't seem to resist a good opportunity stoke the fires....or is it just me?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Let them keep it up.. A few generations from now, kids wont even know what "democrat" is because there will be no more. I know this is about tv and media, but their views and actions are "left" and therefore linked.
edit on 6-2-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Paschar0

Liberal's are notorius racist,they invented it as a tool they could use to make others feel uncomfortable,over nothing

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Let them keep it up.. A few generations from now, kids wont even know what "democrat" is because there will be no more. I know this is about tv and media, but their views and actions are "left" and therefore linked.

BWAHAHA

Only 25% of the present population even remotely considers themselves "rightwing" ...at most.

The GOP hasn't won a popular vote since W's first election and that was barely if memory serves..

I'm not saying trumps win wasn't fair, but that the vast majority of the country considers themselves "left" it's just Americans are crappy voters.

The conservative right is on the verge of extinction..which a failed trump presidency would ensure...even though he is the farthest left "republican" lol..

The GOP destroyed by a life long democrat lmao.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I think you're making the same mistake most people did last election in assuming just because people don't openly voice their opposition to you that they support your views.

I voted Republican...but to this day don't speak about it among many of my peers because I just don't want to engage with them. It's pointless trying to have a discussion as I'm instantly a racist when I disagree with anything.

Just saying, you may not have as much support as you think.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

Liberal's are notorius racist,they invented it as a tool they could use to make others feel uncomfortable,over nothing

Which is why all the white supremacists groups are hard core conservative republicans....

No one buys that "liberals with all there Llove everyone garbage are the real super secret racists.. not the kkk and other white supremacy groups..."

It's echo chamber bs only the farthest right but... aka a very small percent of the population.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Look...

I hate Nazis. Right? I hate them. I also accept that they were the best dressed team in WW2, and to be fair, who was ever going to top Hugo Boss styling? I am a Christian. I also happen to love black metal, because although its lyrics are inspired by "Him who lurks downstairs", the composition of black metal tracks, the compound effect of heavy drums, classically inspired guitar work, guttural vocals and so on, do something to my spine that I like.

Now, I do not give a damn about NFL. I have seen one game, and one game alone. The game I watched started yesterday night at 11:30 ish, GMT. It saw a team go from the depths of absolute despair, to the heights of ecstatic victory, in what can only be described as the single most nail biting, excruciating, dogged and dramatic fashion possible. I had not much prior knowledge of the teams in play, I had never seen the sport played live before, leave alone an entire games worth. And do you know what I saw last night?

I saw a spectacle. I saw a game where every ticket holder got their monies worth.

The thing that links the opening of my post, with the actual game and how I felt about it, is that it is perfectly possible to accept that some things, no matter the context, are just damned good. If the cut of a uniform is exemplary, then you can appreciate that without appreciating the politics of the person wearing it. If the riff is good, then you can appreciate it without taking on the dark, spiritual inspiration for it. And even if you could not give a single, solitary damn about sports in general, when you see a spectacle like I saw last night and into this morning, you can enjoy the experience perfectly well, despite whatever behind the scenes nonsense might be going on.

Another example, to close with. I like the idea of peace. I also accept that one of the most fascinating things to watch, is a thermonuclear detonation.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

What?!?!

Oh yea because civil rights and slavery are all Part of the super secret conspiracy by the multi cultural (democrats) political party to be racists..

While the party with only one racial group making it up (GOP) are the true non racists...

Do you think anyone no faux news acolyte believes that?!?!

Lmao

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

oh look another SJW whos parents were to "carefree" to kick him into the real world..

Did you study art?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You know, I'm also a Christian who likes black boots and my Metallica collection. I also recognize Aristotle in that the "mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"

That said, I understand and respect that the lyrics have an affect, whether I acknowledge them or not. As do many things we dismiss as nothing.

Just because I CAN wear my Johnny Cash outfit to church on Sunday...doesn't mean it's a good idea. So now maybe I try wearing a boring shirt and listen to the Newsboys and see how things go.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Longtime Pats Fan here. I just watched the Greatest Super Bowl of all time (I've been around for well over 50 of them) with the Greatest Coach and Quarterback ever to play the game.

Great life lesson here, persevere, believe in yourself, play your own game.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

This is the single most absurd statement I think I've ever read on ATS.

And the fact it's been starred is just shameful.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

I also disagree that liberals invented racism....

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Really makes you wonder...

edit on 6-2-2017 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I miss posts about aliens and bigfoot.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
A few generations from now, kids wont even know what "democrat" is

That's because we now have a Christian anti-education Secretary of Education. Betsy DeVos.

So you might be right. Maybe a few generations from now, kids won't even be taught history. Our kids in the future are going to be dumb as hell.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

Really makes you wonder...

... why conservatives keep using a tired old novelty as a tool for argument. Both parties completely flipped platforms in the 19th and 20th centuries. The fact that the two parties were polar opposites from where they are today is totally moot.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

You're right, the Democrats just flipped from black racism to white racism. They are and have always been the party of division.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Race has nothing to do with it, in sports it's all about performance not race.

As a baseball couch would I draft a white guy with a higher ERA or the black guy with a lower ERA? the white guy would get hired.

That's not racist, that's Logic. People should be judged by merits not skin tone.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
As a baseball couch would I draft a white guy with a higher ERA or the black guy with a lower ERA? the white guy would get hired.

I would draft he guy with the lower ERA since it means he gives up fewer runs.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join