It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help - Tensile strength of carbon fiber.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Long story short, we had to hand bomb the rods up. The 3rd Rod from the head is sheered in half.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

On each 30 meter length the joints are links, allowing for full maneuverability of the rods.
However on each end of the 30 meter lengths, the joints are connected by joining them together at a 45 degree angle to lock them together.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I dont think it will be necessary brotherman, but thanks so much for the offer.

Mining is funny, my boss will whine briefly about the loss of $115,000.00 unit. However 115 Gs is relatively cheap in mining terms.
We have a $1.6 million dollar scoop tram buried in the ore pass as i type this....which may or may not be, ever recoverable.

The only reason why I want to get this unit back, is because its the only one on site. It took 2 weeks for it to arrive initially.
So If we have to go with out being able to perform a CMS for 2 weeks, it will be a large inconvenience.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

field extraction without peripherals is a mofo. I weld in the gas industry these days when I am not laid off. Recovery especially if your in charge is a bitch.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

The fact that you didn't know the answer before using it tells me you need to be fired and replaced by someone with more common sense.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Manufacturers should be able to give you an answer.

A claim against them would need to show records that you are checking the carbon rods for damage/wear and tear regularly.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Update! It has been recovered.
I sent a Well Vu camera down the hole to get eyes on the situation.
Seen where the rod snapped. The link between the CMS head and Rod came apart.
I hit record on the camera to get video proof to show the manufacturer of where the part snapped.

That video has determined a fault in the joint. If there was any damage to the actual unit then the Manufacturer would have been liable. Both the rods and the CMS unit are part of a package to allow this operation.

So they are sending me 60 meters of free rods, plus want to test the CMS calibration to ensure nothing got out of whack.
But I already did a test, and it came back perfect.
It took 5 miners to pull that CMS unit up that vertical hole.
Its a damn fine day

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

The fact that you would write something like this shows how ignorant you are to engineering and mining.

Hope you can have a good day.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

It has nothing to do with engineering or mining. You don't use something to hold weight if you don't know how much weight it can hold. Even my 7 year old knows that. You are a dipstick.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
That's an ignorant way to treat someone on their own thread.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Your sort of right.
The rods act as a stabilizer to allow for a fixed Azimuth.
The camera head, once in a void, will start to spin 360 degrees. It spins while it measures the entire area.
It will create an exact profile of the open void.
Once on surface, I import the 3d point cloud into CAD, create a mesh, and bingo, we got a profile of the void.

You need the autonomous drone update

www.criticalcommons.org...

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

So your telling me, I should from now on, completely disregard the manufacturers recommendations and just wing it?

Im fairly certain you have zero idea what you THINK you are talking about.
For clarification for your wee little cranium,
The Maker of the CMS unit, also supplies the carbon fiber rods.
The Maker of the CMS unit, supplies these rods to be used with the CMS unit.
Therefor, one would assume, these rods have the strength to handle the unit at long distances.
The Maker of the CMS AND Rods has a website.
This website claims these Rods are tested and rated for 200 meter drill holes.

You should go ask your 7 year old for advice on manners.

You can go play now.
The adults are talking here.

Btw...I hope you have a super fantastic day.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

hahaha true, that would be amazing!

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Below is the website for the CMS unit ive been yappin about.

If you scroll down a bit you will see the point cloud.
It sort of resembles the Prometheus Scanner data lol.... not quite as awesome though.

www.renishaw.com...
edit on 6-2-2017 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Like I said. Don't see what the issue is. A rope would do from all you have said, so unless the head spinds at 3'000 rpms, anything will do. And thats if you want to go the super cheap route of 20 bucks. From all you said that carbon fiber linked rods, is just an extremely expensive way of lowering a piece of machinery down into a hole.

Don't mean to jerk on anybody's job or fun, but sometimes I cant help it.

I don't much bother with this, or with mine engineering, or school for that matter, it is after all the only thing standing in the way of my education. But you should be careful not to play to much on it, or Trump may hear of it, and he may pull funding like on he did with the scientific community.

Now I know we will all miss those awesome scientific inquires such as the one that cost $202,000 to study if Wikipedia is Sexist: and a few others. Oh here are some, in this Link

Now far be it for me to judge on that, and I will miss some of those studies on the very obvious. And would want a restudy to be done on the one teaching mountain lions to ride treadmills, as I think it was not thoroughly and extensively done with only a measly 856,000 thousand going to it. But you know, still waiting on the one that gives indisputable proof that water is wet.

You know what your talking about sounds amusing, even ridiculous if you think about it. Which is why I refuse to think about it, it may lead to a serious case of the giggles. But ya bro! Sounds like your having to much fun. And I said already, no its not a weight problem, or a tensile strength problem. And if you continue on like this, it just may be a problem which only scooby do can solve.

The things you say does leave one wondering no? I mean if all your trying to do is lower a 357 pound piece of equipment into a hole, and maybe have a little leeway with tilting, pushing or prodding and or tinkering said piece of equipment. Well, there are likely a bunch of different approaches and ways or materials with which you can go about it.

The most hilarious approach to it, may not be the only way. Is all I am saying.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   
what was the point of this thread again ? seriously - what ???

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Actually I dont know. I think the OP should have posted what he did on page 2. That link to it, I see now why it would use carbon links tubes, just for a bit more malleability and maneuverability, probably has a string running through were you can pull the head and it will come up.

Or who knows, this thread make no sense. Even in that link I didnt find the specifications, but that thing does not reach to your knee, there no way even if it was solid iron that it would be 200 something pounds. But whatever you know. Dont even know why the manufacturers would go carbon tubing on long tunnel lines, seems excessive. But its probably just because they could charge more for it.

Some people would call that stupid, and maybe excessive, and if that thing cracked or the links broke, bet you somebody would be going "whos the dingus who thought this would be a good idea?" But form the pictures it looks like the tubes are made of aluminum, why not make the whole thing like that as well.

This whole thing makes no sense. But I shall be nice. I will just say it may have been a bit "over-engineered" Which is just a nice way of saying maybe the makers wanted to charge a bit more for it from the companies who use such devices, and likely because they got money to burn.

And seeing carbon is in, and cool, even though it may work for cars, planes, bikes, and even long tubes/rope type lowering devices, I don't think it would be best for lowering potential heavy and expensive piece of equipment down 98 meter holes. Not a matter of tensile strength, more like a matter of dust getting in the carbon links, that or what if it gets stuck and you have to wiggle it around and dirt water, mud, gets in there. A little crack in carbon and it will just spread, especially if its linked like that, aluminum or even rope or definitely steel, even though steel would be to heavy, but you would have none of those problems.

Even thinking on this is headaches. The op, should have just given a better and that link in the opening post then on the second page. I thought they just gave him that device, and left it up to him to figure out how to lower it down the hole, maybe even in digging that hole himself. Joking on digging the hole, but not on the other.

Like I said none issue. Its totally "over-engineered" just like this thread is totally over thought on. They no doubt have warranties and such for exactly such a thing. And no doubt the company that makes it expects it as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join