It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to Fox News: I may defund California as 'a weapon' to fight illegal immigration

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same thing

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

The two most likely federal agencies that could cut off funding are Justice and Homeland Security. They provide grants for local law enforcement agencies to hire officers; bolster prosecutions, courts and jails; provide drug treatment, prepare for terrorist attacks, and assist crime victims and witnesses.

The Trump administration has the power to cut off much of that funding. For example, Justice's State Criminal Alien Assistance Program, or SCAAP, distributed $165 million in 2015 to local agencies that detained undocumented immigrants in its jails.

www.usatoday.com...

Check-mate!

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This would be a start:

The two most likely federal agencies that could cut off funding are Justice and Homeland Security. They provide grants for local law enforcement agencies to hire officers; bolster prosecutions, courts and jails; provide drug treatment, prepare for terrorist attacks, and assist crime victims and witnesses.

The Trump administration has the power to cut off much of that funding. For example, Justice's State Criminal Alien Assistance Program, or SCAAP, distributed $165 million in 2015 to local agencies that detained undocumented immigrants in its jails.

Laurie Robinson, a former assistant attorney general under Presidents Clinton and Obama who headed the Office of Justice Programs, which oversees grants, said the statute implementing SCAAP gives an attorney general broad power to decide who gets money.

"They could cut off drug programs, domestic violence grants, violence against women grants," she said.

They might need lawsuits to remove the other funding, but they could pursue that.

source

link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

Checkmate? I asked a question.

So, cutting off funding for the police is a good idea?

link   
a reply to: BlueAjah
originally posted by: reldra

There is a legal avenue. The state or states that do not follow this can be sued and could lose their funding under Title IX guidelines. I am pretty sure mosts states are going to comply.

Agreed 100 percent.
California should quit aiding and abetting illegals.
We think alike.
Great move by Trump to threaten their funding, I share your valued opinion they will comply with law and order now as well.
edit on 5-2-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

wow!
We were thinking alike at the same moment!

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

they should all be in prison already for conspiracy to violate federal immigration laws and aiding and abetting illegal border crashers.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

They are obviously not using our tax money appropriately in their law enforcement endeavors.
So... yes.
I don't want my tax money going to them.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

That was actually reldra's old post supporting Obama defunding schools for not following his bathroom gender policy.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

They are obviously not using our tax money appropriately in their law enforcement endeavors.
Do you think that immigration enforcement is the only thing that law enforcement should do?

edit on 2/5/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Of course not.
But if law enforcement is not going to follow the law then they are really not doing their job are they?
They are not supposed to pick and choose which laws to follow.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I don't see how defunding law enforcement in California would fight illegal immigration.

Seems like overkill. Bigly.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Syphon

let em keep the 406 billion they are going to need it to pay off all the lawsuits.

when one of California`s illegals leaves the state and commits crimes against American citizens California is criminally negligent for aiding,abetting, harboring those criminal illegals.

California is completely indifferent to the crimes that "their" illegals will commit against American citizens in other states.
if California wants to risk the lives of their own citizens by violating federal law that`s up to them, but California has no right to endanger the lives of citizens in other states just because California wants to violate federal laws.

that sounds like willful negligence to me.

edit on 5-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

It would force them to follow the law if they want the funding.
Thus, it would fight illegal immigration.
If they feel they don't need the funding, and their public suffers as a result, then that is their own fault.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

when California becomes a sanctuary state the California police won`t be fighting illegal immigration anyways, that`s kind of the whole point of the sanctuary crap.

edit on 5-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Are all of the cities in California disregarding immigration law? Punish everyone in the State?

That would be another interesting court battle.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I don't see how defunding law enforcement in California would fight illegal immigration.

Seems like overkill. Bigly.

Considering their unwillingness to enforce federal laws regarding illegal immigration can have a significant impact on the national security of the entire nation - I'd say it's a perfectly measured response. And I'm sure a good deal of the rest of the nation would agree.

If the Californian people don't like it - they can take it up with their elected officials.
edit on 5/2/17 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

No, you are incorrect. Btw-I am totally for state rights but immigration sould not be a federal law. Says who? Not the Constitution, or SCOTUS.

Immigration effects all states and it's Congress who should be working together for a solution.

Sometimes the President just goes too far with these Executive Orders. He needs to quit shoving everyone around and start acting for the country-not just his personal prejudices.

Question is-will he learn? He's 70 years old. He needs to play nicely with others an respect many differing points of view. Immigration, the way he's playing it, will stop him cold. It will ruin his chances of achieving his many goals if he doesn't stop the big talk bullying and constant EOs.

Granted, he inherited a tremendous mess- but please-look at the bigger picture. He's going to lose his momentum, popularity and respect if his motormouth and pomposity arn't checked.

edit on 5-2-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

That would only happen if they declare the state a sanctuary state.
Then it would be up to the counties that do not agree to pressure the others to stop the nonsense.

If individual cities do not follow the law, then they would be defunded the same as sanctuary cities in other states.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

when California becomes a sanctuary state the California police won`t be fighting illegal immigration anyways, that`s kind of the whole point of the sanctuary crap.

I've seen several ATS threads describing how Californians (citizens and state officials) want to leave the United States.

President Trump should urge Mexico to adopt California. Get annoyances like Berkeley, Pelosi, Feinstein, out of our hair.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join