It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to Fox News: I may defund California as 'a weapon' to fight illegal immigration

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I remember a time when conservatives supported states' rights, and were opposed to an overbearing federal government.

How quickly old tenants are abandoned.
edit on 2/6/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Wow yeah.

I'm surprised most Republicans aren't dead from whiplash due to the abrupt 360 they did there.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
I thought you people were pro state's rights. You are, up until the point the state doesn't want to do what the Emperor wants to do.

Ah, yes, this tired old logical fallacy (it's a false equivalency, in case you're wondering which one).

I'm pro state rights as much as I'm pro individual rights, but that doesn't equate to anarchy, which is what you're implying, here. Hopefully by now (I'm only on page one of this thread) someone else has pointed out the lunacy of your comments (and the fact that, up until this point, they've all been red herrings, as pointed out).

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Let me respond by quoting myself in a response to a similary asinine statement on page one:

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
Ah, yes, this tired old logical fallacy (it's a false equivalency, in case you're wondering which one).

I'm pro state rights as much as I'm pro individual rights, but that doesn't equate to anarchy, which is what you're implying, here. Hopefully by now (I'm only on page one of this thread) someone else has pointed out the lunacy of your comments (and the fact that, up until this point, they've all been red herrings, as pointed out).

You can also see that comment above...
edit on 6-2-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

You do understand that it's not just republicans that agree that states who openly break the law should get punished, right?

Not everything is left or right, people--there are actually some in the middle who use critical thinking skills on a regular basis and try to refrain from asininity.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage
I remember a time when conservatives supported states' rights, and were opposed to an overbearing federal government.

I am all for states having more power over most things.

But there are certain things that the Constitution places within the power of the federal government for good reason.
This includes immigration and naturalization as well as national security.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

I get it.

People are scared and they're convinced that in order to feel safer the U.S. needs to be more like China and build a "Great Wall".

I'm simply not convinced that becoming more like China will "fix" the issue.

With freedom comes responsibility, and risk.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You do understand that it's not just republicans that agree that states who openly break the law should get punished, right?

Then take them to court. Let the court handle it. But don't be up at 3am tweeting about it.

Not everything is left or right, people--there are actually some in the middle who use critical thinking skills on a regular basis and try to refrain from asininity.

So when I made the above statement about the 360 whiplash. It's because I'm seeing many republicans saying, "There's a new sheriff in town" or "He's going to drain the swamp" or "he's taking charge and getting things done".

Things that if a certain former president would of done. There would of been cries of, "we have to stop him at all costs" or "he's breaking the law" or "He's wiping his ass with the constitution".

I was agreeing with redmage in his post.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
Then take them to court. Let the court handle it. But don't be up at 3am tweeting about it.

He doesn't need to take them to court, he just needs to direct already approved funds to go elsewhere, or have Congress, who controls the purse (and has a republican majority) to do the same.

But I agree, every mayor who governs a sanctuary city and every state governor who has declared sanctuary cities in their state and have done nothing to try and fight it should be taken to court.

So when I made the above statement about the 360 whiplash. It's because I'm seeing many republicans saying, "There's a new sheriff in town" or "He's going to drain the swamp" or "he's taking charge and getting things done".

Things that if a certain former president would of done. There would of been cries of, "we have to stop him at all costs" or "he's breaking the law" or "He's wiping his ass with the constitution".

I was agreeing with redmage in his post.

And I agree with that, too, I was just making a more broad point because I'm really tired of the comparison that if you agree with something that Trump does, you're a snowflake republican, and if you oppose him, you're a snowflake progressive. But, since you were responding directly to Redmage, I apologize for getting on a soapbox about it.

But to be fair, I have said those things about Obama before, and I'm sure that I'll be saying them about Trump, too. Just tread lightly on trying to point out the irony of things, because similar ironic behavior is being exhibited by the left right now, too.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

originally posted by: redmage

I am all for states having more power over most things.

But there are certain things that the Constitution places within the power of the federal government for good reason.
This includes immigration and naturalization as well as national security.

I agree. I was forced to accept the legality of the federal government forcing States to uphold Obamacare, after reading the 14th Amendent sections 3-5! Obviously, the Federal government can use this same law to force California to support this law regarding Immigration.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: Annee

I don't see a problem with defunding if they don't want to follow the law.

Trump makes a great slum-lord and corporate raider.

Is this all you are going to do? Make a point by name calling and thereby making no point at all? Let's see if you are actually up for a real discussion. I'll start it off with a few questions.

1. Do you believe California should become a "sanctuary state"?

2. Do you believe in sanctuary cities?

3. Do you believe we should have a border with Mexico?

4. Do you believe we should have immigration laws?

5. Do you believe we have an immigration problem? If so what do you recognize as the problem?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

What are some of the effects on California should this defunding occur?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
If California loses federal funding I'm sure they can make that up by refusing to subsidize Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Tennessee.

97 out of the 100 poorest counties in the USA are in red states. I'm not sure it's a wise idea to be picking a fight with the world's 6th largest economy.

I'm sure California can do just fine without fed money. It'll be the welfare states in the south that will end up suffering the most. I hope California doesn't back down and continue fighting the good fight.

The best way to stand up to bullies is to just say no.

5th Largest economy, BREXIT helped bump it up lol
edit on 6-2-2017 by unfor54k3n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
By the way, for those blaming Trump as if he dreamed this up all on his own...

Feds moving to strip money from U.S. sanctuary cities

That is from last July.

ICE has been pushing for years for the Justice Department to move against sanctuary cities, but made no headway under former Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.

Congress tried to move against sanctuary cities, including defunding, but Democrats blocked it.
Now that Republicans have control of Congress and the Presidency, and have removed the DOJ that worked for Obama, they will finally be able to get this done.

Good find! Thank you

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

1. Yes california is already a sanctuary we aren't like the rest of America and that's fine we don't see color or religions as threats.

2. Yes I live in a place with many illegals friends with more then a few and they are great people mostly here to work and feed a poor family back in mexico.

3. We already have a "border" but you can't be everywhere at once you know they build tunnels rightπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ just saying immigration will cost more to stop then to help.

4. Yes I do believe in immigration laws against crime but its such a hard thing to stop with a large population that's always been here. So I say give them a immigration number when they get arrested it'll be like another form of social security but with stricter laws and longer punishments

5.the only immigration problem we really have is with criminals they can freely move in and out of borders while constantly just being deported to a Mexican jail which is not helpful...another idea is we could idk maybe help mexico with their prison system and infrastructure..

For my fourth idea I believe that the jail system has to become more leanent on drug offenses pertaining to low level drugs espcially weed and things like possession or users they need mental health facilities not prison..

From a life long well traveled californian's perspective california does has roughly 50-60 million people I think we could figure it out...I've seen the racism and hate around this country when my sister and her team of black softball players went to Texas a&m and were called monkeys and coons... this was only 10 years ago....so I see you hiding behind keyboards being very much like snowflakes crying about immigration that doesn't effect you.

I'm neither left nor right I just see the world and people through a lense that judges them on character content rather then what god or president they wish to support
edit on 6-2-2017 by DMAC32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

What I DO know from my buddy Axel is that they got everything you want honey, they know the names
They are the people that can find whatever you may need
If you got the money honey they got your disease.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Building a wall is a boondoggle. But he promised it, and a large portion of his base will expect it. It'll be a nightmare for ranchers who own property on both sides of the border, as it will restrict free movement through their property, and block the vista's they've known their whole life.

Border security, on the other hand, is needed and the other states on the southern border (AZ, NM, and TX) have been begging for help. Citizen patrols have been enacted in lieu of Federal response. Uncle Sam has completely failed to even put forth any real effort. We're too busy defending the borders of some far flung middle eastern country to worry about our own borders.

Living along the border myelf, i don't find that acceptable. It has impact on my day to day life in ways someone not living on the border would never undertand. And the people who are victims of this lapse in effort can be directly blamed on our federal government ignoring their right to being secure in their own homes.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
originally posted by: DMAC32

1. Yes california is already a sanctuary we aren't like the rest of America and that's fine we don't see color or religions as threats.

1)What about that mean old Mexico with its harsh immigration laws? I guess the concept of a double standard is alien to you.

Them mean ole Mexican racists!

=================================================================================================

2. Yes I live in a place with many illegals friends with more then a few and they are great people mostly here to work and feed a poor family back in mexico.

2)And take advantage of the USA because of naive people like you!

===================================================================================================

3. We already have a "border" but you can't be everywhere at once you know they build tunnels rightπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ just saying immigration will cost more to stop then to help.

3) Illegal immigrants cost us plenty of money....
www.investors.com...

=========================================================================================================

From a life long well traveled californian's perspective california does has roughly 50-60 million people I think we could figure it out...I've seen the racism and hate around this country when my sister and her team of black softball players went to Texas a&m and were called monkeys and coons... this was only 10 years ago....so I see you hiding behind keyboards being very much like snowflakes crying about immigration that doesn't effect you.
============================================================================================

I think you can figure it out to. In fact I think every CA citizen with your outlook and the ones in this thread who so support open borders should take in a minimal of 2 Illegal immigrants into your houses and help feed, cloth , and shelter them. Put your money were your mouth is. Its time you guys who support this open the doors to your own houses.

edit on 6-2-2017 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plutron

I voted for Trump because I WANT HIM TO BUILD THAT PHKN WALL.

This was taken from the front porch of my house.

Here's my local wall.

How much do you actually know about this border wall? How much do you know about building it?

Did you know Homeland Security halted the building of it? Do you know why?

I do have the advantage of local papers discussing the wall, the border, immigration, etc.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
"I thought you people were pro state's rights. You are, up until the point the state doesn't want to do what the Emperor wants to do."

Nope. California can do whatever it wants to, but only so long as it keeps all the illegals it lets in. The problem is when they come to my state. What happened to the rights of my state because California refuses to follow the law? I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I left for a reason. And yet, California keeps following me...
edit on 6-2-2017 by MisterMcKill because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join