It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to Fox News: I may defund California as 'a weapon' to fight illegal immigration

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
If California loses federal funding I'm sure they can make that up by refusing to subsidize Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Tennessee.

97 out of the 100 poorest counties in the USA are in red states. I'm not sure it's a wise idea to be picking a fight with the world's 6th largest economy.

I'm sure California can do just fine without fed money. It'll be the welfare states in the south that will end up suffering the most. I hope California doesn't back down and continue fighting the good fight.

The best way to stand up to bullies is to just say no.
edit on 6-2-2017 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

CA pays in more than they take, so the net effect will be reducing the net result of our economy.

That said, the services CA takes which are not invoiced are likely to tip the scales out of their favor. The military is one example.

It would be interesting to see. I don't think the ultra liberal concept would work very well in the long run. But that's just a gut feeling and not much more.

If CA tries to with hold their payment obligations, expect military action to ensue in order to remove officials from office and place them under arrest. Its what George Washington would have done, so we can't say it would be all that provocative if Trump does it.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I voted for Trump because I WANT HIM TO BUILD THAT PHKN WALL. For me, its more than just a wall, its a symbol that America will no longer allow non-Americans to misbehave while in the US, eg, its shape up or ship out!! Virtually every administration since President Johnson (created the 'birther-law') has granted hordes of people who obviously hate our guts (just look at how they treat us), amnesty (millions of them). The illegal Hispanics want the free-meal but they don't want it enough to earn it, why should they? They get here, pop out a pup and the US Government pays their room and board, gives them free medical, free schooling and as soon as the next election cycle begins the nominees promises and grants them amnesty!! America the Land of Free Meal. We gotta be authentically stupid to allow that to continue.

Every member of my family is either 3rd or 4th generation immigrant, mostly from Europe, although a couple were Spaniards. Who isn't an immigrant? But most Americans earned the right and the priviledge to reside here in this wonderful country.

There is a problem with amnesty too. The illegal Hispanics are not required to learn or adopt our ideals, our cultural values, our celebrations or our language. They are not required to become Americans, while they are bringing their country's worst traits here, and through American Government in-action is innately 'teaching' that its ok for them to disrepect America and Americans. The vast majority of amnesty Hispanics are not integrating, they do not have to. And they do as they please. "We're Mexicans!" I have more than once heard them say that. One time when I caught twelve Mexicans as they were pi.ssing and writing gang graffiti on my home. They flipped me off, laughing and yelling, "We are Mexicans, we do as we please!" They do it because they can. And there is nothing as citizens that we can do about it. The police are not allowed to deport them, they are not even allowed to request visas or proof of citizenship during the commission of a crime, let alone any other time. Mexico regularly requires proof of visa or citizenship for Americans visiting Mexico or anywhere else. No just in the US are we so stupid. We are a bunch of phkn idiots.

As for the sanctuary cities, defund them? How about firing those government employees who obviously are defying government laws. No one is above the law, including them. Not to mention lack of good reasoning, --who lets in hordes of people who neither adopt a country's ideals, culture or even the language, while bringing all their problems with them and pissing all over us??

In Los Angeles, California, a sanctuary city, about five years ago the then Mexican Mayor Villagorosa, (BeanerRogosa as he was named by various locals), angry, because Arizona passed a law allowing Arizona Police Officers the right to request visa or citizenship papers (drivers' license, Social Security Card, etc) during the commision of a crime by obviously illegal Hispanic aliens. The LA Mayor banned all products from Arizona. One of these products was the Arizona Red-Light Safety Cameras. The deal that they had with LA County, is that the Arizona company products were bought by LA traffic control, but the on-goining maintenance fees were waived, as the company partook in a percentage of the traffic fines levied. So under contract to LA County, they were required to maintain the traffic safety cameras, but LA was not imposing traffic fines for red-light runners as an element of his ban on Arizona products. So Los Angeles Mexican-California mayor, chose to ban a product by a company that had nothing what-so-ever to do with the passage of the law was being financially screwed out of their profits while ignoring and putting at risk American driver's safety. Yes, President Trump should defund Los Angeles. Why didn't President Obama have Mayor Villarogosa arrested? The Police Department here in LA refuses to pick up the thugs, refuses to participate in the deportation of illegal Hispanic Aliens. Why? Many of the police officers were the children of illegal Mexicans while a few of the cops are themselves. How is America to deal with that type problem? Trump's and our problem was caused by American Government failing to do its job over the past 50 years.

As for who'll pay for the wall? Hah hah hah, are we all so stupid that we really do not know the answer to that? Who protects the US from foreign invasion? Texas? California? The US Border Patrol? FatherLand Security? No, its the job of the Dept of Defense. Yep, that is the agency that needs to both design, fabricate and to pay for it. The DoD. Its their job. If Pres Trump authentically intends that Mexico pay for it, then he's an idiot. However, I just think that idea is his version of political rhetoric... What salesman isn't full of BS?

Trump is a pedigree a.sshole. I voted for him because of those type traits. Its gonna take a genuine a.sshole with titanium balls to do the hard things that our government has been sidestepping these past 50 years. The US Immigration policy is damaged goods and needs significant restructuring. The illegal alien problem must be remedied. If they can sneak in heroin, they can sneak in nukes, but the problem is much more than that. The out of control and unrelenting Hispanic influx is ruining America. If not handled by Pres Trump, perhaps a civil war will be required? Its our sovereingty that is at stake. Only the clueless can in good conscience disagree.

I have had it with the illegal alien problem. No more BS, no more amnesty. Its time for action.

Kick out the Hispanic thugs, the gang-bangers, the driveby-shooters, the drug dealers, the robbery gangs. If it were up to me, I'd bar-tag tatoo their forearms along with an RF-ID chip embedded under the bar-tag tatoo; if either are tampered with, it would be quite easy to recognize the activity signifying automatic arrest, punishment and deportation. An illegal alien caught in commission of any crime, would be be bar-tagged & RF-ID'd, and caned with six whacks on National TV, and then deported. If they re-enter, I'd cane them nine whacks on TV and then kick'm out.

I think caning would be a good alternative for many crimes in lieu of prison. I think it would be more effective also. Sure worked on those American teenagers that spray painted Mercedes Benz cars in Thailand. Caning is a serious corporal punishment. They laid on their stomachs for six months while their a.sses healed. It leaves a lasting impression I suspect.

As for the Muslims, they don't think like us. And they are required to embrace Shiria Law in their US Communities by their clerics. Sharia Law supercedes US Law, which is technically seditious. President Obama (a thinly desguised Muslim pretending to be Christian), was allowing 100,000 Muslims into the US per year. Thanks alot. Not happy with just suppressing the news, how about letting the other killers in.

We have in essence a one party dictatorship called the taxman, that masqurades around as a two party Democracy only during elections. They ignore the US Constitution until such time trotting it out helps promote some private agenda, all the remainder of the time they use it for toilet paper. President Trump doesn't seem to be Constitutionalist but neither are the other politicians. So this Constitutional ban appeal is just more overt political BS for some private agenda.

plutron

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: neo

Well. here is a link that shows the taxes.

www.usgovernmentrevenue.com...

And here is a map that shows the states federal aid vs gsp.

ijr.com...

edit on 6-2-2017 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Plutron

Begin sarcasm.

Exactly.

Kick out those dirty illegals before they kill us all.

History does tend to repeat itself.

End sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

The truth is that federal grants are like contracts. Unless the Fed's can show that a state is using the funding in a manner not intended by the grant itself they cannot simply stop the payments.
The government cannot strong arm a state into doing its bidding by threatening to remove funding intended for one cause because they refuse to honor a different cause. So if say a state was receiving funding from the CDC to study the zika virus the government cannot remove that funding because a state doesn't obey immigration laws. If they could show that instead of studying zika the scientists were throwing weekly keggers they could defund them. Not for sheltering illegals.

www.feldesmantucker.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Truth is trump doesn't even know what he can or cannot do.
He's a bully who bullied his way in the real estate business and he believes he can still do that.
Didn't he also threaten to defund Berkley because students there didn't want to hear his crap in a Breitbart presentation?

Yes the protests were unnecessarily violent. No denying that but to say he's going to defund the university because students protested just shows he doesn't know what he can or cannot do.

This past two weeks have been surreal.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ripper777
a reply to: Profusion

I live in Los Angeles and I am absolutely against our mayor declaring us a sanctuary city and blowing off Trump's warning to stop federal funds.

If someone wants to allow the law to be broken, that is their prerogative but don't risk and gamble with money law-abiding citizens are depending on. I need our damn subway system to be finished and construction is only going forward thanks to 2 billion in matching federal funds.

And when we win the 2024 Olympics, it would be nice to actually recieve Federal backing unlike the '32 and '84 Games which was paid for by citizens & local companies entirely because Washington simply wasn't interested both times. Trump has already said he would love to back the games if we get them.

I think there is confusion about what is being asked of states like California. They are not claiming that illegal immigration is not illegal in a sanctuary city, they are saying that they won't do the job of the Federal Government for them (i.e. Hold illegals in prison past their served jail time until ICE shows up, etc.).

Cities are not being compensated for the expense of "acting on behalf of" the Federal Immigration laws and doing their job for them. It is like a huge illegal TAX on YOU the citizen of that city, and they are simply saying "do your job" to the Feds.

The cities are not "breaking the law." They are simply not equipped to give the Federal Government a free ride at the expense of their own city funds for their own self-management.

That is my understanding anyway.
edit on 6-2-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Truth is trump doesn't even know what he can or cannot do.
He's a bully who bullied his way in the real estate business and he believes he can still do that.
Didn't he also threaten to defund Berkley because students there didn't want to hear his crap in a Breitbart presentation?

Yes the protests were unnecessarily violent. No denying that but to say he's going to defund the university because students protested just shows he doesn't know what he can or cannot do.

This past two weeks have been surreal.

I know it is off topic, but there were MORE peaceful students than Molotov cocktail throwing violent ones. To hear the peaceful protestors tell it, they were invaded by this group of window smashers and their peaceful protest was destroyed by them.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

edit on 6-2-2017 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Some of the grants are worded so that they are required to comply with federal immigration law or lose the grant.

See my post on the prior page.
(Cant link right now on my smaller phone.)
edit on 2/6/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

No, these sanctuary cities have straight out said they will protect their illegals and will not comply with the federal laws

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

What grants have that language?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If the Governor feels sanctuary Cities are proper then he needs arrested and charged with aidiand abetting a crine.

See how long that last.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Most of the money that California gets is for health and human services. More than half as a matter of fact.
It gets transportation grants and education grants. Grants to run government programs. Grants for corrections and rehabilitation, environmental protection, natural resources. Which of these could possibly contain language to the effect of do what I tell you or else???

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Exactly. If you don't pay your bills and refuse to obey law, then you get your heat, electric, gas, etc. taken away from you. You might want to learn how to start a fire and live under a bridge somewhere. Your comment is a Troll response to the fullest. Keep searching for ways to be a deviant. Maybe if you try to help instead of sling mud, we can heal some of the issues we have in the U.S.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

I agree 100%. Don't follow the law, go to jail. I thought that was how it works. Oh, I forgot, that's how it used to work.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

a reply to: BlueAjah

What grants have that language?

SCAAP, Byrne/AG, COPS Grants

www.bja.gov...

Why is OJP using Byrne/JAG grant funds to enforce 8 U.S.C. § 1373? Authorizing legislation for the Byrne/JAG grant program requires that all grant applicants certify compliance both with the provisions of that authorizing legislation and all other applicable federal laws. The Office of Justice Programs has determined that 8 U.S.C. § 1373 (Section 1373) is an applicable federal law under the Byrne/JAG authorizing legislation. Therefore, all Byrne/JAG grant applicants must certify compliance with all applicable federal laws, including Section 1373, as part of the Byrne/JAG grant application process.

As OJP has previously stated, o ur goal is to ensure that JAG and SCAAP recipients are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, including Section 1373 .

edit on 2/6/17 by BlueAjah because: eta

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

After Culberson met with officials within the Justice Department and made clear that their financial situation could become strained if they refused to cooperate, the department released guidance notifying all U.S. jurisdictions that they must comply with all federal law — including 8 U.S.C. 1373 — in order to receive federal grants. “I’ve effectively created an off-switch that Attorney General Sessions and President Trump can throw at noon on January 20 to cut off all federal law-enforcement grants to these cities,” Culberson tells National Review.

According to Jessica Vaughan, director of policy studies at the Center for Immigration Studies, three federal grants in particular would be in question for sanctuary cities: the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP), which provides reimbursements for the expense of incarcerating illegal aliens; Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS), which funds community policing efforts; and Byrne-JAG grants, which fund miscellaneous spending for state and local law-enforcement agencies.

Though the federal government cannot legally compel states to comply with federal law, it is permitted to use financial rewards or incentives to encourage states to comply. This precedent was established in the 1992 Supreme Court case New York v. United States and has been upheld and strengthened since, and thus the Justice Department’s guidance in this instance clearly falls under constitutional precedent, Culberson reasoned.

source

And more to come:

Culberson says that other appropriations subcommittee chairmen have been supportive of his work on this issue and are interested in encouraging federal departments under their authority to issue the same guidance to all jurisdictions.

edit on 2/6/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Most of the money that California gets is for health and human services. More than half as a matter of fact.
It gets transportation grants and education grants. Grants to run government programs. Grants for corrections and rehabilitation, environmental protection, natural resources. Which of these could possibly contain language to the effect of do what I tell you or else???

According to the LA Times, Second big piece of the pie goes to Defense contracts, followed closely, by military and civilian government employees. The recent budget sets that amount at 58% or 105 billion dollars.

If California does not wish to support the defense of our nation, do you not think that the nation may not see any need in providing funding for non-existent services in that sector of funding?

Edit add: LA Times article

edit on 2 6 2017 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join