It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are we this ignorant people? (Not political)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

And thanks for getting the point of the thread. We failed and so did he and in the end it costs us both.
edit on 5-2-2017 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Leaving aside the welfare argument, and addressing your question about nutrition.

My opinion, government's nutritional 'education' has gotten us where we are today, and its a damn shame.

For 40 years, people have been told 'eat low fat, low salt, high fiber for optimum health'.

If that were sound advice, a box of low sodium triscuits or some such would be a good meal.

Even the latest food pyramid or whatever its called is pitifully inadequate to serve as educational material, or dietary planning tool for institutions, etc

Even if nutrition was a one-size-fits-all endeavor, there is such variation in growing conditions of the raw materials, you can't say with any surety that "red peppers contain x amount of nutrient a".

And on top of that, government won't tell you all the nutrients a human body needs because then, horror of horrors, producers would have to label all that.

So in short, yes, we (or anyone who doesnt do their homework) are that stupid. And its by design.

Sorry, mom-rant over.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CantStandIt

You're exactly right, luckily that long standing misnomer has died in all but some groups.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I'm with another poster in that you are just assuming that one moment represents his entire life. For all you know he's a Dad trying to put together a semi-decent birthday party for his kid. He could've been having a Superbowl thing with some buddies and only does it once a year. The guy could have ulcerative colitis where eating fruits and vegetables destroys his digestive track and bowels more than chips ever will. You don't know and yet you sit in total judgement.

I subsidize roads I don't drive on; I pay for schools I've never attended. Hell, where I live I'm subsidizing first time home buyers even though I'm a renter. You're acting like you're the only one but that's the story for every single one of us.

Now let me grab my violin to play you out.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
Can you believe some people choose to be short sighted and disregard all of this?

Say it isn't so!! I don't watch TV anymore ... I get my daily drama fix right from these boards.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Totally over your head, better go watch the bachelor where there is some lower level content.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Smug warning in effect. Visibility: None.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute

The biggest issue is the educational system, American literacy has not improved in the last ten years. According to a study conducted in late April by the U.S. Department of Education and the National Institute of Literacy, 32 million adults in the U.S. can’t read. That’s 14 percent of the population. 21 percent of adults in the U.S. read below a 5th grade level, and 19 percent of high school graduates can’t read....they probably can't read the labels.

You dont have to be able to read to count up $2-3 items as you add them to the cart.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The biggest issue is the educational system, American literacy has not improved in the last ten years. According to a study conducted in late April by the U.S. Department of Education and the National Institute of Literacy, 32 million adults in the U.S. can’t read. That’s 14 percent of the population. 21 percent of adults in the U.S. read below a 5th grade level, and 19 percent of high school graduates can’t read....they probably can't read the labels.

You dont have to be able to read to count up $2-3 items as you add them to the cart.

....it might help if you wish to know the nutritional value of said item.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
What you just described hits so close to home you don't even know.

I once lent somebody 20 dollars towards bathroom products (stuff that food stamps don't cover which this person has also) and acouple of other groceries like whatever else they needed, and I took them to the store with me and they picked out the most expensive products and a bunch of junk food and it was 30 dollars worth of stuff. Not 20.

This person disregarded budgeting and also doesn't know the meaning of living within your means? Like there was a suave sale like a bottle for a buck and twenty cents or something and you could have gotten more than one bottle to make it last and then make better health food choices. But instead this person just decided to view me as a resource for their own selfish needs... they did what they did because they thought that they could get away with it. And they did for that moment. After that I would tell them to put stuff back and make comment about budgeting. Eventually they stopped asking because I was too rigid probably.

But it's not that this person is incapable of budgeting/doing the math, it's that they are so selfish and miserable inside that they don't care about anyone else anymore and they don't know that it's possible to live any differently. To get better.

Anyway OP, I know what you're saying.

I'm not trying to be judging but it is what it is. There are people like that. Addicts, thieves, they are... incredibly miserable I think. And I'm miserable! But they don't believe it because I'm not doing what they are. But I'm miserable with a sense of integrity maybe. Or maybe I have too much empathy or something because if I saw the hurt I caused others I could not bare to continue. I already have a guilty conscience too so I care about my reputation I guess. Something like that. So maybe they are lacking empathy. But what can you do but close your doors to those types. Love is not unconditional, there are conditions damnit. Lol.

Anyway, you can't educate some people. Education and learning new things is hard, most people oppose it and just completely disregard it. They might even become aggressive upon introducing something new and different. Platos cave allegory.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
He then begins to let her scan every item in this full cart and picks and chooses which items he's going to keep and which he's going to have put back for him. So instead of looking at the actual prices while shopping he filled the cart and then made his decision in line, not only that but he filled a cart with all of the items that he didn't want to buy anymore for an employee to put back for him.
Jeezus Christ

I need to stop there, $28 is about £21 sterling..yuh ain't going to fill any cart with anything with that money unless you live in Gulliver land, nor will a normal cart hold enough for a week for many if you get the drift. Okay I understand the rest and the residuals, and I get the point, some people are pesky, others may just not know the value of money, the halfway house might be one description, and unless you know, it can be hard to call for those that can have some independence.
Actually the most annoyance I find is with people who have a card, presumably with plenty of money on it, and wait till the total is given and only then start rummaging for their card into the depths of an endless bag, handbag whatever. That's when the Tum Tee Tums start for me, 'cos I know besides that, the next thing is the credit tokens will have to be looked for, also somewhere in that fecking bag! Jesus, has no imput there, it's all his da's fault.
edit on 5-2-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Nah I'm on ebt and I one hundred percent think it should be more like
wic. Only wholesome, nutritious foods should be allowed.

When I splurge, it's more on like marked down meat and such, I feel justified in buying something that's a real food that's marked down.. But soda and candy? I think should not be allowed.

There's no reason not to restrict it. It's not a right, it's not a privilege - it's welfare, and I think tax payers should get to choose how it's used.

edit on 5-2-2017 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

This is a failure of our education system and a personal failure of that man. How can you take a demographic serious if you can't read a label or add up a price tag.

Its a failure of the education system indeed, but its more so a failure on the parent's part for not smacking the stupid out of him when he pulled crap like this as a kid.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

And if they can't read enough to read the labels ... forget being able to read enough to learn how to cook so that they can take actual whole foods and turn those into healthy stuff to eat which is as cost effective as buying junk.

Not only that, but if they can't read enough to figure out how to cook ... do we really want them attempting enough basic science to try an actual stove?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Same as you a friends DIL had 3 kids, an unplanned 4th on the way and she would buy ridiculous stuff like shrimp, steak and junk food. The problem was her card ran out within 2 weeks then she farmed the existing kids out with relatives so they had food, diapers etc and crashed with friends herself.

:/

Her DIL had a good family and was raised right but this way was easier for her. Her family mentored her nicely and once in awhile she's be forced to get a job (mostly cause she wanted something) and then dress inappropriately and not work at work to get fired in a few weeks. It was endless frustration for my friend as these were her grandchildren being used for the EBT money and a real hardship for her to keep caring for them the last two weeks of the month.

Her DIL was NOT on drugs and had a high school degree. She had plenty of family support but it didn't matter.
This was easier for her.

They changed the EBT rules awhile back now you can purchase prepared food from grocery stores. Fried chicken, pasta salad, sigh...pizza. It's one of the ways they get around not being able to go to fast food places.

Someone is gonna ask, the first two kids were not her son's and this girl refused to marry him cause they would cut her benefits. He worked a low paid job, but it wasn't near enough for them to live on.
edit on 5-2-2017 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

his girl refused to marry him cause they would cut her benefits.

And right there is another problem with the system.

It incentivizes girls to marry the government to play daddy and provider and then simply shack up with the current baby daddy of the year.

A woman does indeed need a man lie a fish needs a bicycle when the government is the provider.

But the toll it takes on the children is enormous and terrible.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And if they can't read enough to read the labels ... forget being able to read enough to learn how to cook so that they can take actual whole foods and turn those into healthy stuff to eat which is as cost effective as buying junk.

Not only that, but if they can't read enough to figure out how to cook ... do we really want them attempting enough basic science to try an actual stove?

Yeah, I agree, you made my point...is there an issue?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
in response about schools educating students on nutrition and a healthy lifestyle, i have to say from my own experience that it was horrible. we spent a bit of time in elementary school learning about the food pyramid with very little as to why the foods are in the hierarchy exhibited. physical education was a joke and was more of just a free period to mess around with your friends and if a girl wanted out of anything they could just claim "its that time of the month". meanwhile the home economics classes had been shut down for worry of a student hurting themselves and being sued, or that it was possibly considered a sexist class since historically it had mostly female students.
imo our school system should be teaching kids not only what is nutritional and good for your health but to also teach how to cook meals. many of my friends didnt even know how to cook scrambled eggs out of high school unless it involved the microwave. for something so integral to the everyday life of every person living on this earth, im just amazed that they completely gloss over this essential skill. youll also save quite abit of money if u cook your own meals instead of eating out.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
This brings on the true reason for the rant. Is our education system so bad that people have no knowledge of nutrition whatsoever? Not basic arithmetic? I mean at the end of the day for a man to reach his thirties with essentially no knowledge beyond that of a fifth grader is beyond disappointing. This is a failure of our education system and a personal failure of that man. How can you take a demographic serious if you can't read a label or add up a price tag.

My mother thinks the sun and moon are the same size.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Why would I say something to him?

Because you actually care and are trying to help instead of sitting in quiet judgment?

What good is that?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join