It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Captures Brilliant Star Death in “Rotten Egg” Nebula

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

The image captures a Star similar to our Sun located some 5,000 light-years away as it is transforming from a red giant to a planetary nebula , the gas being ejected is traveling at 621,371 mph and will eventually form a new planetary nebula.

Scientists named it the Rotten Egg Nebula because they detected a high level of sulphur in the gas , smelly or not it makes for a beautiful picture.

Astronomers rarely capture a star in this phase of its evolution because it occurs within the blink of an eye — in astronomical terms. Over the next thousand years the nebula is expected to evolve into a fully-fledged planetary nebula.
www.nasa.gov...

Some future body's home has just been born.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

That was a sun ... like ours. Can you imagine if it had an inhabited planet like Earth ... at our stage of development?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

And somebody's current home went poof. Well, 5,000 years ago.

edit on 2/5/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I never get bored of these images.

As Snarl says, imagine if it was our Sun? It's going to happen one day though.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

yeah talk about time travel, who needs it when you can watch the sky and look at things that happened hundreds or billions of years ago
edit on 5 2 2017 by Dr UAE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
I never get bored of these images.

As Snarl says, imagine if it was our Sun? It's going to happen one day though.

I think our Sun is only going to burp a little, but will swell up and cook us by degree, the Op's picture looks like someone lit a faaaart, But, our Sun is given as a red giant when at that stage to 'emerge' as a white deeeewarf, that's the bit in the middle not mentioned, and then the nebby bit.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If that star did have an inhabited planet - maybe they developed interstellar travel.

And now they're out there...... wandering the universe..... looking for a home.....

Why does the ejecta get thrown out asymmetrically like that?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: PistolPete

Why does the ejecta get thrown out asymmetrically like that?
My guess would be because the star was rotating. A "ventral" view would be interesting.

edit on 2/5/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Been watching a lot of the hubble space telescopes video's on youtube, love them! Always brings me back to feeling like a tiny peon seeing stuff like this
very cool pic!

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

...the gas being ejected is traveling at 621,371 mph...

I dunno...

I'd say it was 621,369 mph...maybe 621,370 -- tops.

edit on 2017/2/5 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Now here is my question. If our sun goes supernova, will we have the time to appreciate the light show for few minutes or will we just "poof" without a moment's notice. Will THAT explosion travel faster than ligh?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Heruactic

The Sun is not massive enough to supernova and nothing travels faster than light.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Heruactic

Well, our sun isn't big enough to go supernova, but if (by magic) it did then the short answer would be "poof". The explosion would travel slower than the speed of light, but the light itself from a supernova 93 million miles away would be ~1,000,000,000 times brighter than a hydrogen bomb held against your eyeball. Poof.

Link

link   

Im not as sure as you when you say nothing travels faster than light...

link   
a reply to: Saint Exupery

8.3 minutes later....poof.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Oh man that's so cool. Why doesn't something like this happen around here. So lame, things are blowing up all the time everywhere else in this magical universe of ours. Yet last time we even had a planet go BOOM was what some few billion years ago, and the last significant thing that happened around here was that thing which took care of all those asshole lizards.

Oh why do we have to live in such a lame and insignificant quadrant of the galaxy, with so much uneventful things all going on. Its so lame. It must drive everybody to boredom.

Here's to something blowing up and something else forming soon. Should be quite a sight to see. Well depending on its proximity and everything else, should get a few seconds of visual cue at the least. Before you know what? That whole dead thing.

We can only hope something may happen in our lifetimes. Here's to hoping. I suppose.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Oh why do we have to live in such a lame and insignificant quadrant of the galaxy, with so much uneventful things all going on. Its so lame. It must drive everybody to boredom.

Closer to the Galactic core might be interesting.
But the view from the rim would be awesome.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

When i look at pics like this I cant help but to feel that when i die I'll be part of that glory out in space.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Once again Phage your are thinking small, we could do with a few planets blowing up around here, maybe even a moon or two. Oh lets say, Mercury, or Venus nobody like those two anyways. Its always Mars or Jupiter or Saturn, so nobody will miss them if there gone.

It would be quite an event to witness, may even be worth the possible sudden end of all of humanity as we know it. And for about a minute or even ten minutes. It could be like " Whats that purrty flash in the sky there?" And the end. Cosmic curtain drops on this sleepy neck of the stellar woods.

You know I think whole races and even entities would not have had such a eventful parting. Its depressing to even think about. We may never witness anything cool in our lifetimes or at least yours, don't know about mine, but I could be in the same boat.

Its totally depressing, I think I'm going to go sleep and maybe dream about celestial bodies suddenly blowing up for whatever odd reason. And if its not an odd reason, then its probably a nightmare.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Planets don't have much reason to blow up on their own.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join