It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's been 26 hours since I quit smoking...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
...and I need some encouragement guys. I'm so tempted to pop down the street and buy some. I've quit before a few times and lasted quite a while. And I know the first week is the worst. Once you get past that its becomes easier...but you can never really let your guard down, can you? Help me out will ya - tell me your stories of success - 'cause right now I'm ... :bnghd::bnghd:

Thanks...merci....obrigada....grazie...gracias....

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Congrats!! I know what you mean, smoking is a bich!! I can relate to your story. I quit like 5 years ago in the spring. How I did it: one morning, I actually didn't want a cig. I was just observing how long I could go without one. So, the first day wasn't THAT bad. However, for the next two weeks I was pretty f**ked up. I was constantly eating or hungry and very irritable. Nah, actually I was psycho, agro, violent; those bastard cigarettes really mess with you. Anyway, I had not smoked for like 6 months. Then I decided to go back to college. I started engaging in "trigger" behaviors: stressed out from school(provided me with an excuse), hanging out a bars (a big no-no with me, it's hard to drink without wanting tobacco), being around other smokers, etc. Then it happened, I bummed a smoke off someone. This was the beginning of the end. within a week I had resumed my habit of a pack a day. That was five years ago. I gotta hand it to you, I'm kinda scared to try and quit AGAIN. The only advice I can offer is to avoid "triggers" (situations that make you want to smoke) as much as you can, especially for the first week or so. And 2nd, NO CHEATING!! At least that was my downfall.
Best of luck to you.
I hope you'll beat it...

Peace

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Just a couple more thoughts: when I quit before, I found it advantageous to replace the addiction with something else. I chewed gum like a maniac. I also started lifting weights a lot. I constantly tried to stay busy: cleaning the house, playing on the internet, whatever. Also, you're very wise to seek support. Have some friends/family check up on you. Also, there's gotta be a message board for this somewhere.

Again, good luck.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Damn...I had a long response typed and then everything froze and I lost it. Thanks for your good wishes...I'm trying...brushing my teeth often (I never could smoke after having just brushed my teeth) - I always have to be drinking something, chewing gum or a mint, whatever. My biggest trigger is coffee - so I didn't have any yesterday when I got up and decided to try this. Coffee and cigs go very well together as I'm sure you know. So that's like a double whammy. I was afraid to go out all day yesterday thinking I'd break down and buy some. I felt like I was high or something, very disoriented because no java. Finally had one about 7 p.m. last night and it was a mistake...had to rush to brush my teeth again.

So I'm getting through...slowly but surely. Will try my best...I've done it before. Stopped for a year or more quite a while back. I was the one who went around at parties cleaning the disgusting ashtrays...not tempted one bit. If I can get through the first week I should be okay. But you know, between you and me, I enjoy a few cigs - wish I could be a social smoker. But I know me too well...like an alcolholic...have to take it one day at a time...hell...one hour at a time.

Thanks again for your encouragement...maybe one of these days soon you'll give it another go too.

AL

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
You are doing better at it than I ever have. Keep it up
I usually cant get past the part where I feel like this

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yeah but nobody better piss me off.... or else :bash::bash: followed by

Nah...just kidding.

Thanks, bud.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Good luck, AlwaysLearning.

It's hard to do, but if you're serious and committed, you should be able to do it.
I've been smoke free (completely) for about 3.5 weeks now. I quit about 4 weeks ago, and the first few days I had one or two and brought it down to zero . The first week is definitely the most difficult. I found, rather than having something in my mouth like gum or mints or whatever, I had to keep my hands busy. I was knitting like crazy during those first 2 weeks and produced a lot, lol.

Going out for a few drinks was alright, too. I always smoked more when I drank, and it was the first time I was glad Toronto's bars went smoke free, otherwise the temptation would have been horrible.

Good luck!

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
Damn...I had a long response typed and then everything froze and I lost it. Thanks for your good wishes...I'm trying...brushing my teeth often (I never could smoke after having just brushed my teeth) - I always have to be drinking something, chewing gum or a mint, whatever. My biggest trigger is coffee - so I didn't have any yesterday when I got up and decided to try this. Coffee and cigs go very well together as I'm sure you know. So that's like a double whammy. I was afraid to go out all day yesterday thinking I'd break down and buy some. I felt like I was high or something, very disoriented because no java. Finally had one about 7 p.m. last night and it was a mistake...had to rush to brush my teeth again.

So I'm getting through...slowly but surely. Will try my best...I've done it before. Stopped for a year or more quite a while back. I was the one who went around at parties cleaning the disgusting ashtrays...not tempted one bit. If I can get through the first week I should be okay. But you know, between you and me, I enjoy a few cigs - wish I could be a social smoker. But I know me too well...like an alcolholic...have to take it one day at a time...hell...one hour at a time.

Thanks again for your encouragement...maybe one of these days soon you'll give it another go too.

AL

Yes, coffee=big trigger:shk:

I know what you mean about enjoying a few cigs, I like smoking; I DON'T like the crave or needing them (being addicted). So, for me it's all or nothing. I guess there are "social smokers" out there, but everyone I know who smokes is addicted.

Your right, I should give it up. But it scares the s**t out of me, one of the hardest things I've ever done. I should just "sac-up" and do it...again. What prompted you to quit?

Here are some links that might help with the support aspect of quiting:

www.stopsmokingcenter.net...

www.ivillage.co.uk...

whyquit.com...

whyquit.com...

be sure to check out the last one, it looks like the best one I've found so far.
And if you find anything better, let us in on it!!

[edit: added links]

[edit on 30-1-2005 by poonchang]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Good for you! I'm slowing weening myself off them. Choosing to buy other things instead of cigarettes. So when I say slowly I mean slowly. Spending more time with friends who don't smoke is a good thing too. And the money...the money is the best part. And for me, I've doubled on the coffee so instead of smoking I just take more sips. Sure, I've had a lot of trouble sleeping...ahem. I guess reading is my real savior there! But keep it up! With enough self control you can get through anything!

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Going out for a few drinks was alright, too. I always smoked more when I drank, and it was the first time I was glad Toronto's bars went smoke free, otherwise the temptation would have been horrible.

Good luck!

Thanks so much parrhesia and congratulations to you too...hopefully you're over the hump...thinking about it every minute of the day. But if you're anything like me you can never really let your guard down.

I hear you about being glad the bars/restos are smoke free now. How many times have we stood out in the freezing cold...probably not even really enjoying the cigarette because it was so cold. Since yesterday, I've been hibernating and sleeping a lot - I guess that the lack of coffee. Whatever gets me thru the withdrawal period I guess. This past week has been pretty darn cold, but I want to get back on track, getting to the gym regularly.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Thanks so much parrhesia and congratulations to you too...hopefully you're over the hump...thinking about it every minute of the day. But if you're anything like me you can never really let your guard down.

Thanks!
I'm over the hump, I don't think about it very much. There have been a couple times when I've been really stressed and very very tempted to bum one. Must be strong though! At the beginning there were a few close calls, I'd just close my eyes and breath deeply for a bit and the urge would pass.

I hear you about being glad the bars/restos are smoke free now. How many times have we stood out in the freezing cold...probably not even really enjoying the cigarette because it was so cold. Since yesterday, I've been hibernating and sleeping a lot - I guess that the lack of coffee. Whatever gets me thru the withdrawal period I guess. This past week has been pretty darn cold, but I want to get back on track, getting to the gym regularly.

LOL, ya!
It's funny; now every time I walk past a bar and see people smoking outside I'm glad it's not me, especially with this cold spell we've been having. It's really not worth it. And it seems smoke smells so much worse on people in the winter when they've come in after a cigarette. ewww

Keep it up, you can do it!

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by poonchang
Your right, I should give it up. But it scares the s**t out of me, one of the hardest things I've ever done. I should just "sac-up" and do it...again. What prompted you to quit?

Well, I've been smoking on and off (mostly on), for the better part of my life - started with peer pressure around age 14...I'm now 44. I hear of people around me who never smoked a day in their lives getting cancer...so what are my chances??

I've been wanting to quit for a long while, but was never ready mentally. One day last week I ran out of cigs and almost did it. Went 8 hours before I broke down. When I was able to do that, I knew I was starting to be mentally ready. I feel better when I don't smoke, and am proud of myself for it not getting the better of me. Smokers are so ostracized everywhere these days. Like I said, I do enjoy the odd one, wish I could have one now and then...but I don't think I can. So I have to quit.

You know, one of the other times I quit I remember reading somewhere that if the contents of ONE cigarette were liquified and injected like heroin, we'd be dead. ONE cigarette.

I have to keep thinking about things like that. Also, about how nice it is not to have smelly ashtrays and cigarette breath too.

Thanks for the links. If I find any good ones will post them too.

Ciao for now and thanks.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   

You know, one of the other times I quit I remember reading somewhere that if the contents of ONE cigarette were liquified and injected like heroin, we'd be dead. ONE cigarette.

I had a friend in Highschool that manufactured some liquid nicotene. He thought he would be able to drink the stuf instead of smoking. The autopsy report said he died less than 7 seconds after the drug touched his lips.:shk:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecretAgentL
Good for you! I'm slowing weening myself off them. Choosing to buy other things instead of cigarettes. So when I say slowly I mean slowly. Spending more time with friends who don't smoke is a good thing too. And the money...the money is the best part. And for me, I've doubled on the coffee so instead of smoking I just take more sips. Sure, I've had a lot of trouble sleeping...ahem. I guess reading is my real savior there! But keep it up! With enough self control you can get through anything!

Oh do I hear you on that. A carton of cigarettes 10x20 costs $54 in Ontario. That's a lot of mula to just burn up. So I'm going to open up an account and put the money I would spend on cigs there....don't laugh...it adds up. Could probably pay for a trip at the end of the year!

Good luck to you to.....you're right...self control is the key to everything. Better to do this:bnghd: then give in to the cravings!

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
I had a friend in Highschool that manufactured some liquid nicotene. He thought he would be able to drink the stuf instead of smoking. The autopsy report said he died less than 7 seconds after the drug touched his lips.:shk:

Oh my God...how horrible. Well, that's it for me now....talk about scared straight. Thanks for sharing that story.

apc

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
ahahaha that liquid nicotene story is halarious.
yeah its easy to purify from a pack of cigs or a can of chew... all it takes is a drop to cause near instant cardiac arrest.
man... someone who knows how to make it, sure as hell should know how lethal it is... that kid deserves a darwin award

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Great job. I quit smoking 9 years ago. I still think of it when drinking coffee as that was always a trigger for me. I find that in the beginning it was best to stay away from those things that trigger the need for a cig. I never did the patch but at that time it was not that popular yet.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Abigail...congrats to you too. 9 years...that's fantastic! Can't believe you still think of it when you have coffee. That's my bigget trigger too, so I've been having much less.

I'm still thinking about it every few minutes. Yesterday night I felt weird...quite of woozy, like if I stood up I'd fall over. My sleep has been fall f**ked up too. Hopefully I'm on the mend... its 48 hours now and counting....

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I'm going to join the club. I have been weening myself off cigs for the last couple of days and this weekend I'm done.

any updates alwayslearning?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
alwayslearning, you make it?

poon: I quit on December 28th, and have only had 2 since. I did it cold turkey, which is a living heck for the first 3 days. After that, the nic addiction is completely out of your system, all you have to do is take care of that habit. I can finally drive without thinking about it.

For those first 3 days, though, lock yourself away. I got REALLY pissed at my sister for something she did when she was 6 and I was 7 (I'm 26 now). I kept getting madder and madder, punched a pillow and realized it was a really good thing I locked myself away for those three days. This is the second time I quit for more than 3 days, and the first time lasted 2 years, until a friend pressured me to have one while being unemployed for 11 months. I caved and had to do it all over again. That "friend"? Alcohol. Stay away from your triggers when you're angry or depressed

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join