It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump and the Coming Shocker

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I don't give a damn who creates it, Americans need more money just like rich people do.

No, they don't. That's the whole problem.

You can't eat money, drink money, drive money, build with money, or literally do anything with money. It's not the money people need; it's the things one can buy with money. If a meal costs $20 and I make $10/hr., it costs me two hours of work to eat that meal. If the meal costs me $10 and I make $5/hr., it still costs me two hours of work to eat it. No difference. But the reality is that if my wages go from $5 to $10 an hour, a meal will typically go from $10 to $25, meaning that $10 won't go as far as the $5 went. So I need $12.50/hr. to balance things out, and the meal goes to $35. Now I need $17.50/hr., all I can get is $15/hr., and the meal goes to $45. Now it costs me three hours of work to eat that meal. More money, but less buying power. Where the restaurant was making $2 profit off my meal, now it's making $10. I have less; business has more.

So what do I do about it? I go eat at a smaller restaurant, where I can get my meal for $30, two hours of work. In doing so, I get less food, cheaper food, and a lot less service. The restaurant I used to go to isn't getting as many customers, so they don't need as many employees. They lay off 10 people. Now I'm eating less, paying the same cost in terms of hours worked, and 10 people are going hungry. The restaurant owner is doing as good as ever, since his profit margin went so high. He doesn't need to sell as many meals.

More money is the problem, not the solution. We need more buying power. You can't get that by making more money... you get it through a strong economy. $1000/hr. sucks when a loaf of cheap bread costs $250. $1/hr. is awesome when that loaf of bread costs 5 cents.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Does all that cover just one meal for one person? Besides, no one can keep up with the pace of housing here in the West. No matter how much you trim the budget.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

The meal is just a standard purchase example. It could be a movie, a tank of gas, or a DVD.

We have what I guess is best referred to as a split economy. One part of the economy is doing fine: doctors, the few manufacturer workers left, lawyers, engineers, businessmen, finance brokers, etc. The other part is dying, literally. People in this country, who once were able to live affably, now cannot afford things others take for granted, like food, medicine, or decent housing. The economy has shrunk to only serve the part that is still doing well, leaving the rest just out of luck. There's not enough jobs to go around, and every attempt to squeeze another dime out of employers just makes the split that much wider by denying basic jobs to more people.

The only way to get this economy going again and let people escape this financial prison is to grow the economy. You do that by making it easier and more profitable for successful people to start or expand businesses to provide jobs, and by making it easier for Americans to get those jobs. You do the former by decreasing useless regulation and lowering taxes... and you do the latter by removing needless competition (illegal immigrants) from the job market. You do not make labor more expensive through more regulation, minimum wage hikes, and high taxes, and you do not let illegal aliens undercut Americans for American jobs. That is the road to more problems, paved with nice, pretty, good intentions, leading straight to disaster.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I have been around for a while. When I ask politicians this question, I get a bunch of gibberish. Why is congress so nasty to small businesses? That is the alternative that americans need when jobs are in the dump cycle or disappearing.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

You're exactly right: small business is the key to a booming economy. Trickle-down works, and has worked for 200 years, if it is targeted toward innovation. When we stopped enforcing anti-trust policies, trickle-down stopped working, because it can only work when the companies are expanding. GM cannot expand; they have saturated the market. All they can do now is maintain. The same goes for DOW Chemical, Lockheed Martin, Caterpillar, Wells-Fargo, etc., etc., etc. No matter how much money they have, they can't add jobs because there's just not any more work to do. But Tesla Motors has not saturated the market... if they make profit it goes back into growing the business, meaning jobs, machinery, plants... and all that means more jobs. The same with the upstart Mom-n-Pop hardware store down the street. The same with the sorta-crazy nerd in his basement building his version of R2-D2.

I see three reasons why politicians overlook small business and innovations:
  • Politicians don't understand business. They usually have never worked an honest day in their life. So their policies tend to reflect their own version of how small business operates, which is often far removed from reality.

• Politicians are greedy. When was the last time you saw a politician wearing jeans and flannel? They want the finest clothes, the nicest homes, and the best food, because they are celebrity. Big business can give them that, whether it's gifts under the table, inside stock info, or contracts to family members. Small business doesn't have that kind if money to throw at politicians, because they're using their money to hire people and buy equipment.

• Politicians are lazy. I have never seen a politician in my life that made me think of the word 'workaholic' (until Trump came along). I bet you have the same experience. It's so much easier and faster to talk to a half-dozen CEOs of multinationals than to talk with a few thousand innovators... and whose interests do those multinational CEOs have at heart? Their own. So they recommend policies that pad their pockets, not policies that help their competition.

ETA: Been around a while myself. I remember the pre-Carter gas wars... saw two stations battling it out once. One finally dropped their price to $0.00/gallon, and the other one matched it and threw in a free car wash with fill-up. It only lasted a few hours, but it was fun to see.

TheRedneck

edit on 2/25/2017 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Why don't you run for an office? We need people with ideas like that.

ETA Trump is not going to help the small business because he has no understanding of what it is like to be on your own.

edit on 25-2-2017 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Because I'm ugly and tell people exactly what I think.

Trump was born with a silver spoon, but his accomplishments are his. He was completely on his own when he entered the Manhattan real estate market... his father was completely against it because he felt it was too risky. The man has been as 'on his own' as most people in that respect. And he never relied on his family's money for his success. A $1M loan is nothing in Manhattan real estate.

I really wish there was a way I could bend the ear of a politician, though. I can fix healthcare, the inner cities, most government corruption, and boost the economy easily. And as far as I'm concerned, others can have all the credit; I'm too old to care about fame and fortune any more.

Alas, no one really cares. So I post on ATS.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join