It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump and the Coming Shocker

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I love reading ATS. I used to read people's opinions on individual news articles too. The MSM stopped allowing (read: censored) a lot of people's true feelings from 'flooding' their feeds. This was a 'tell' for for me. Some people call that a red flag. Anyway, I pretty much stopped 'subscribing' to anything that was mainstream if they censored people (much like you see FarceBook and Twizzler doing these days). Can't wait for Twitter to pull Trump's accounts (let's see if they have the balls -chuckle). I digress.

Let's talk about The Coming Welfare Reforms, shall we? You know it's gonna happen.

Trump's campaign was about Making America Great Again. I don't recall any real outcry over Welfare back in the '50s. It wasn't a Democrat/Republican 'thing' back then anyway. It was a problem Bureaucrats had created. I know there are some fairly mature folks contributing to this site. Does that term Bureaucrat still stir up some hate in ya?? LOL Anyway, I digress again.

Fast forward into the '60s. Things were getting bad then. Frikkin' Hippies, the liberalization of the school system, the commonality of divorce, people watching TV instead of doing things. Remember the barbershops? They were the ATSs of yesteryear. I remember the conversations ... that were so incredibly interesting and entertaining ... that were never to be found (or spoken of) anywhere else. And, to put it into perspective for you young people, with an attention span that's let you read a thread with more than a few paragraphs in the OP ... we didn't even use 'the phone' back then unless it was for something really important.

When Trump talks about Making America Great Again, he must be talking about the pre-60s. He was born in the mid-40s, so I'm sure he's got solid memories of the good times I'm thinking of.

So ... what was welfare like back in the 50s? First of all, it was shameful. It was a thing, that if you took it, you'd never speak of it again as long as you lived. It made you look and feel like a leech. It was something you made an effort to pay back (not write off). Of course, there were the true deplorables, you know ... the ones one would reasonably expect to write such stuff off. I remember 'those people'. If you saw them in your backyard, you walked out there with a shotgun pointed right at their bellies and confronted 'em. There's nothing scarier than a kid who is pointing a shotgun at your belly. Anyway, it wasn't hard to pick these people out. They were usually dirty and they usually smelled like they hadn't bathed in a week.

I think Trump's gonna have to take a healthy chop at the American Welfare System if he wants to appease the people who voted for him. He knows he has to retain the favor of 'his mob'. The hard part about that is understanding that we are 'truly' The Silent Majority. We don't talk about stuff unless we're seated in the barber's chair. But, we vote the line when the time comes. And we're the guys who will speak out when he needs support ... when he needs support.

I don't know if he's going to take Welfare away a chunk at a time ... like ending ObozoPhones overnight. Or, if he's changed his mind about those things he wrote in a book back in the early part of this decade (which I doubt). If there's one thing about Trump, his consistency is pretty damned consistent. LOL

Did you know there are over 75 Welfare Programs he might decide to take a chop at? Those programs set the USA back almost a Trillion (yeah ... with a T) Dollars every stinking year ... year, after year, after year. Those are our Income Tax dollars people. Wasted on the lazy and the shiffless. Trump is all about Return on Investment. So is the Silent Majority. He better realize this if he wants us to stand up for him when the time comes. He's got enemies on both sides of the political spectrum. Enemies that have their hands buried deep in the pocket of the American Taxpayer (and remember ... Paul Ryan says tax reform is a distant goal).

He's got three-quarters of his first hundred days to go. I can't wait for him to stir the Welfare Reform pot ... knock it over ... and shatter it.

+46 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Not many people in the 50s and 60s needed welfare.The jobs were plentiful. And you could afford housing, food, medical on one income. And because of modern medicine, people with disabilities live longer now.

+45 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
1. I'd rather my tax dollars be used to help poor Americans than to help Wall Street, oil companies, defense contractors, or as foreign aid. So when they said America first, they meant "Rich Americans and American corporations first"?

2. If they completely destroyed all "welfare" programs, it would immediately hurt millions of Americans. Would they also include some massive jobs programs to offset this economic crisis? Or would those Americans simply have their safety nets slashed with no extra help?

3. Are they also going to be slashing corporate welfare? If not, then how on Earth is it a good idea to slash spending to Americans who are going through hard times, yet keep the taxpayer funded spending that goes towards already-profitable companies?

+25 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
And you could afford housing, food, medical on one income.

And, what was the partner of the Head of the Household doing?

Running the household? Whipping the kids when they were bad? Checking homework before Dad got home? Preparing the evening meal so everyone could sit together at the table? Eliminating the need for daycare facilities?

I know you remember. I know you know what went wrong too. I know you know 'exactly' where the pitfalls of society are.

Instead of defending 'the way it is now' ... I hope Trump has a map that can lead us back to Greatness again, because what we have now is rather embarrassing compared to what we had then.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
like ending ObozoPhones overnight.

This is due to the Telecommunications Act of '96, not Obama. Taxpayers aren't funding it via taxes at all, the carrier companies pay into a universal service fund (if you see USF on your bill, that's what it's for)

The origin program is called Lifeline, and was a Reagan era thing. Not a 21st century one. '96 just reevaulated for the times.
edit on 2/5/2017 by Nyiah because: clarified.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I have a feeling the left's argument it's only $35/year might be too low and the right's argument we spend a fortune on it is too high. I have a feeling it's a also a conspiracy that people can live off of welfare indefinitely because they are lazy. I'm betting they are not lazy people and I bet the dollar amount is set low enough so they have no choice but to find work. Both sides of politics have it wrong and the voters are wrong.

link   
a reply to: Nyiah
Meh. You with your narrative-busting alternative facts. How dare you derail a perfectly good Obama dig. Now say something nice about Trump or you'll be in for it.

+9 more 
link   

That's a pretty hollow argument. We didn't have cell phones back in the Reagan era.

The costs have just been passed along to those people who 'pay' for their phones. It's a 'tax' no matter which way you look at it ... if you're being honest. Just like ObozoCare wound up as nothing more than an outlandish way of taxing the Middle Class.

link   
I doubt Trump has any specific era in mind when he says that. Its just a catchphrase. Something people that support him can ascribe their own meaning to, and by extension increase their support for him.

Marketing. Nothing more.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

LOL ... Too late ...

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Well my mom was moving around job to job with dad. He helped build the highway system operating caterpillars.

link   
a reply to: Snarl

dp
edit on 5-2-2017 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
link   
welfare isn`t so much about the money that is spent on it,although that is important, it`s more about the welfare culture that is created.
children grow up seeing welfare as an acceptable alternative to getting a good education and finding a job.
welfare isn`t good for the country, it isn`t good for the communities, and it isn`t good for the people who become addicted and dependent on it.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
1. I'd rather my tax dollars be used to help poor Americans than to help Wall Street, oil companies, defense contractors, or as foreign aid. So when they said America first, they meant "Rich Americans and American corporations first"?

2. If they completely destroyed all "welfare" programs, it would immediately hurt millions of Americans. Would they also include some massive jobs programs to offset this economic crisis? Or would those Americans simply have their safety nets slashed with no extra help?

3. Are they also going to be slashing corporate welfare? If not, then how on Earth is it a good idea to slash spending to Americans who are going through hard times, yet keep the taxpayer funded spending that goes towards already-profitable companies?

Good points. But lets ad two more!

4) Many of the people who voted for Trump are those left behind in the period of de-industrialization. They are not highly educated and they are the ones left behind when the steel mills were closed and the car plants were shuttered. They currently can subsist only by way of welfare benefits and if Trump undoes the safety net, they wil be thrown out into the homeless popuation.

5) The need for the safety net is only going to grow as jobs are replaced by computers, robots and AI. The companies Trump targets wll stay in the US and add a few jobs in the build out of new robotosized plants, then they'll be largely let go because the plants will need ever fewer workers.

In summation, in reality, going forward, it is more likely than not, that the safety net will need be strengthened rather than shrunk. In the more advanced countries like Finnland and others,they are starting to experiment with a UBI, Universal Basic Income as they try to come to grips with this problem. They are even looking at that in France. It may well become a reality.

+3 more 
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Not many people in the 50s and 60s needed welfare.The jobs were plentiful. And you could afford housing, food, medical on one income. And because of modern medicine, people with disabilities live longer now.

Well, back in the 1920's one year of a teacher's salary could by a house.

House prices were set to the level that households could manage.

Then, women started working.

Now each household had two incomes, and could afford to pay a higher price for homes.

So, the developers raised the prices of the homes, by supply and demand, to meet the new level households could afford.

House prices are still set to the level that households can manage.

But, now they expect two incomes per household.

So, the single guys and gals find it tough.

link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Maybe we need to look at the reasons why there were so many jobs and why one income could support a family way back then.

I wonder if it had anything to do with how we were governed that has helped create a mess of dependency.

At some point, you got to look your kid in the face and tell them to get a job and make it on their own. Same goes for this situation.

You can't just slash everything and we cannot continue on this track either. More needs to be done to get people to sustain themselves rather than take care of them.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

That's a pretty hollow argument. We didn't have cell phones back in the Reagan era.

The costs have just been passed along to those people who 'pay' for their phones. It's a 'tax' no matter which way you look at it ... if you're being honest. Just like ObozoCare wound up as nothing more than an outlandish way of taxing the Middle Class.

Not a hollow argument. TA of '96 just expanded it to include cells, whereas prior to that, it was only landlines.

And I PAIGO my cell, thus no itemized bill to cry about. I really DGAF if it's wrapped up in the cost of a 20 dollar minutes card or not. It helps those qualified obtain and keep reliable phone service.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I agree with you.

People can scream "Welfare Scum" all day but without REAL job training, classes on life-skills and money management just taking the EBT card off them isn't going to do anything other than increase crime and hurt a whole bunch of little kids who didn't ask to be born.

The generational welfare folk have almost no life skills OR education. They weren't taught them or fiscal responsibility.
Hell when my Plant closed I was given a choice of several "retraining" classes that wouldn't even get me a job at Walmart FFS!!! (unless I wanted to be a welder or home health aide) The problem isn't peeing away welfare dollars as much as it is a social gap we don't want to acknowledge.

It's still going to cost us as a responsible society to "fix this". I'd say cut all corporate welfare and use those dollars to start addressing the whole problem.
Without REAL job training for things that pay at least the same as people were getting from the State without losing ALL their medical at the same time "reforming welfare" is a non-starter.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Back in the day ... if you couldn't afford a phone ... you didn't have one. You borrowed your neighbors when you had an emergency.

Some people even considered phones to be a frivolous waste of the household's income.

I think what you're boiling this down to is an enforced issue of 'equality' and anyone who's half-way honest knows 'equality' is a buzzword.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Those are our Income Tax dollars people. Wasted on the lazy and the shiffless

Tax dollars supporting our own people are not nearly as wasteful as all the tax dollars that go to corporate welfare, Israel, etc.

These tax dollars are helping people and since poor people spend all the money they get, it's a big boost for business as well.

Oh, and it keeps people from rioting over lack of food. A lot of governments have been overthrown because of people rioting over food- the French revolution and all the Arab spring are two examples.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any reform, but just getting rid of welfare programs would be idiotic and destructive.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join