It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist develops biodegradable, edible non-plastic bags

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
A scientist in India has come up with a new material that mimics plastic, but is bio-degradable....and actually edible.
If this can be mass produced in large quantities, it could be a huge step forward in our war against plastic garbage.

Hegde noticed that many Indians were struggling to find a new way to bring their groceries home after the ban made traditional produce bags illegal. He said that many people cannot afford a reusable bag to carry their purchases, so he wanted to find an answer that would be both affordable and sustainable.

The trick was finding a material that would mimic plastic’s strength and flexibility while still being completely biodegradable and organic. He found success by mixing vegetable oil derivatives with natural starch, tapioca, potato and banana. The raw materials are converted to a liquid and then must undergo six more steps before becoming bags that have the look and feel of plastic without any of the negative effects on the environment such bags bring. Even the paint that is used to print on the bags is organic and natural.

Hegde’s EnviGreen bags degrade naturally in just 180 days, but they will disappear in just one day if they are placed in water at room temperature; they can dissolve in boiling water in just 15 seconds. They pose no danger to plants, animals or the environment, and they contain no conventional plastics.

www.naturalnews.com...

To be honest, if given the choice, I would be willing to pay an extra penny or two for these bags, instead of the plastic now available....bags that no longer are strong....and often require double bagging.

Granted, I use reusable bags 98% of the time

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I hope this takes off it Would be great all around. can't see any negative outcome. S & F

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

this is great, hopefully implemented this year in western culture

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Fantastic news, I hope it rolls out worldwide.
I have to admit that the 5 penny charge which came into the UK has not changed my habits at all, I just pay the 5 pence and have a plastic bag.
I think the government should have made it a higher levy on the single use bags, 5 pence, meh.

I do re-use them as sandwich bags or bin liner bags, but I know all mine end up in landfill...must try harder.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I hope these work and catch on.

Maybe we will see less of these sad stories.

www.nbcnews.com...

For those who can't watch videos

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 5-2-2017 by crappiekat because: to add link

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Sounds great! But like many things that are being developed in Asia for the good, it will be intentionally and maliciously kept out of the USA while the rest of the world gets to enjoy a new positive step for the planet.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is not new.

They have been around for decades, in fact I had some over 20 years ago.

They just have not been used by big super stores, I assume due to production costs.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

I'm not sure about 20 years ago but here in the U.K. long before you had to pay for a plastic bag, possibly up to 10 years ago The Co- operative were using bio-degradable bags.
You wouldn't have noticed any difference unless you read the tiny writing along the bottom of the bag.
I always wondered why all the supermarkets didn't use them.
Surely if it is to do with production costs then now that they charge 5 pence for one then this would cover production?
The Scottish government was the first in the U.K. to introduce this charge meant to be because they were oh so concerned about the environment.Well if that was in fact the case then why not also in the legislation say that any bags produced must be bio-degradable?
I personally have tried my best to always fold up a 'bag for life' and carry it in a jacket pocket since the charge was introduced but I do still occasionally forget and pay the charge.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Scientist develops biodegradable, edible non-plastic bags

Geez.

Some of the food I eat already tastes like plastic.

I can wait to get the real thing now!

Human Progress!

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: glen200376

About 10-15 years ago in the US, they started selling reusable bags, made out of cotton and other materials.
Most seem to be some heavy plastic of some sort.

At that time, I was told they would be doing away with those nasty thin plastic bags....and it never happened.
All stores sell reusable bags and paper is another option.
But the nasty bags are the most commonly used.

Has to be the Plastic Industry lobbying the Grocers Association....or some such.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Yes been around for 20 plus years.

Bacterial excrement= biodegradable plastic.

Developed for burn victims, heat loss of the
Body when severely burned is a death sentence.

They wrap the burned area with this plastic and
the flesh will assimilate it. Life saver!

Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Has to be the Plastic Industry lobbying the Grocers Association....or some such.

Plastics are made from petroleum by products.

So Big Oil strikes again.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Whats the matter with paper bags?

top topics

join