It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afro-Feminism. Kolor Collective. WTF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I came across this during my internet travels today. It is called Afro-Feminism and is an issue in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. A group that calls themselves the Kolor Collective has had a photo shoot to try and bring awareness to the issues. They claim that:

Black women in Brazil (and in most countries) are taken hostage by both racism and misogyny. While facing a large array of issues including sexual abuse, domestic violence, police brutality, cultural stereotyping, income inequality, lack of healthcare and education, they are heavily underrepresented politically and in the media.

Who is Kolor Collective?

The collective comprises six artists from three countries (Brazil, France, Hungary): four females, two males (including a photographer - art director), two set designers, two stylists and one retoucher.

Lets take a look at some of the photos from this "art" show and see what it's all about.

In this picture we see a woman standing in front of some heads on a wall. Trophies of past hunts. Her right hand is covered with blood and she has some brass knuckles. One of the trophies is a male obviously beat to death.

Next we have a young black girl holding a knife which has been stabbed through a white male barbie doll. She is surrounded by white female barbie dolls who are naked and bald.

This one shows a man in drag in a chair throwing candy towards a man who has been placed in a prison cell.

Here we have a young black girl laying in a bed of white dolls. In her left hand she holds the head of a white baby doll that has been partially painted black by the can of paint in her right hand.

An evil looking black woman with claws shows off her bag containing 3 white baby dolls. She appears to be in a machine shop. I'm not sure what her plans are for the babies but I'm sure it isn't pleasant.

A couple of drunk females about to barbecue this male stripper looking guy.

A woman at a shooting range where all of the targets are male.

Kolor Collective says regarding their "art"

Our collective's philosophy is always to let the viewers interpret the images in their own way, without interfering in this process. Most of the pictures contain both first and second degree messages that should be understood by all according to their references, views, sensibilities.

I know that people often do obscene things like this because they think it bring awareness to an issue. I don't agree with that outlook though. To me it just promotes violence and division between people and serves to turn people off from what they are trying to promote. I can't think of any good outcome of showing people photos like this. The images attempt to show “empowerment” but they do it through hate. Why use kids at all?

Kolor Collective
VigilantCitizen has a few of these photos on symbolic pics of the month

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Excellent find! I'm sure the cause is legitimate but does everything have to have a violent component before it's taken seriously?

s&f

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think this photo shoot hurts their cause more than it helps it.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Before people do something, they should imagine a white male doing it first. If one would get mad if a white male did it, one should probably not being doing it.

Imagine SJWism inflicting itself on a country where the plurality of people still live in the 3rd world. failure to launch.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Look, I am all for equal rights among genders, sexes, races, and religions.

But this is "art" is just ridiculous.
Anything this extreme is on par with terrorist propaganda, in my opinion.
It's unnecessary and in extremely poor taste.
The motive is clear and disturbing.
If anyone had men in art with women as the targets the world would erupt.
Oh the hypocrisy.

I'm sure someone will come in and defend it.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Art is often eccentric and provocative when there is a message behind the work.

I'm not a fan of the visual style, but I can support their point.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
True art requires talent...

Like a painter...
Not a Jackson pollack coked out dripping but an actual painting...
Or these idiots...

And performance art...lol

For the record, this is "performance" art:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

The women down there are clearly dealing with some problematic men. They're trying to make a point.
There's really not a lot of ways to counter chauvinism 😕

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

originally posted by: introvert

The women down there are clearly dealing with some problematic men. They're trying to make a point.
There's really not a lot of ways to counter chauvinism 😕

Obviously they are trying to make a point. They are using extreme visuals to grab people's attention in the hopes that it will also spark dialogue which addresses their main grievances.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Black women in Brazil (and in most countries) are taken hostage by both racism and misogyny. While facing a large array of issues including sexual abuse, domestic violence, police brutality, cultural stereotyping, income inequality, lack of healthcare and education, they are heavily underrepresented politically and in the media.

I actually have no doubt that some of this is true in Brazil. But a quick googling shows that the black population of Brazil is 7.6% the total population. There's plenty of Brazilian media personalities out there who are black, about 4-5% of the Chamber of Deputies' members are black. I don't know what they're on about with "underrepresented".

I don't care much for the idea of "underrepresentation" when it comes to things like jobs. The best person should be hired regardless of skin colour and sex.

Just looks like the supremacist movement is spreading to me.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

But a quick googling shows that the black population of Brazil is 7.6% the total population. There's plenty of Brazilian media personalities out there who are black, about 4-5% of the Chamber of Deputies' members are black. I don't know what they're on about with "underrepresented".

I don't think the word underrepresented is used in terms of color, but in terms of those in the media and politics that work on the issues they are concerned about.

Can you elaborate?
edit on 5-2-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

I actually have no doubt that some of this is true in Brazil. But a quick googling shows that the black population of Brazil is 7.6% the total population. There's plenty of Brazilian media personalities out there who are black, about 4-5% of the Chamber of Deputies' members are black. I don't know what they're on about with "underrepresented".

I don't care much for the idea of "underrepresentation" when it comes to things like jobs. The best person should be hired regardless of skin colour and sex.

It's important to point out that "Black" in brazil is not the same as the US. We would probably consider the population higher. Brazil is very mixed and a lot of those who we would call black in the US would call themselves pardos. meaning mixed race. But mixed race in Brazil is an umbrella term for a lot of people. Brazil's genetic material is very spread out among the population despite 60-80% of their genetical material being european.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Dude. That might just catch on. Think of a white male doing it and, if it isnt ok they probably shouldnt be doing it. Package that up nicely and spread it around as a nice little anti-SJW meme.reply to: jellyrev

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Another case where art with extreme visuals triggers. Well, it Was supposed to do that. They were successful.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Doesn't trigger anything. I know what it was supposed to do. But for many people it does the complete opposite.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

A picture of a dick triggers too, that doesn't mean it would be positive for any cause.

They are attracting people who are pointing out hypocrisy which may embolden their supporters but have a negative effect on the general population opinion.

new topics

top topics

join