It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Canadians are proud of our diversity

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
The OP wants to debate, throwing some fresh meat on the floor.
I'll dabble.

Canada is a lot less diverse than the US. 80% white.

Canada is much more white, and mainly only british isles and French white.

Yea, Toronto and Vancouver are diverse, but that is not the whole country.

The US has detroit, which is only 10% white. Can't top that for diversity.

As for blacks in canada, They are over represented in prison just like the US. 3% of population, 10% of prison population.

When cultural groups are smaller, it is harder for them to form an enclave and then isolate themselves from the majority culture. In this case, Canada is a supermajority white that was once nearly all white. Minority populations were too small to create slumholes except first nations, which are well known slumholes, just like american reservations.

Hey if you guys want to turn your white population to the 60% and take our illegal immigrants to match US demographics that would be mighty white of you.

English Canada and French Canada butt heads all the time. You would think Canadians would understand culture clash but I digress.

Really think about this. White English canadians and French Canadians could barely stand each other and referendums have been voted on before. Now you guys actually believe diversity. I mean Come on.

You said "white" so many times in that post I had a hard time reading it.

Do you live in Canada? Because I do, and I've been all over the country many many times throughout my entire life. I'm not even sure where you pulled 80 percent from, but you must be talking about rural towns which are few and far between or "Quebec city", the French Canada you keep mentioning that barely makes up a fraction of the entire country. This "butt-heads" you mention is so insignificant and was like 40 years ago. This alone tells me you don't know what you're talking about. The major metropolis cities which take up most of the countries population are all very diverse.

This notion that we are some psuedo-diverse country is silly and you only sound ignorant when you speak about it.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: cantthinkofausername

The boycott is so weird. Do people really think that Budweiser made a commercial like this in the time between Trump's Muslim ban and the Superbowl? This commercial has probably been in production for months. Why didn't people get up in arms on the Alexander Keith commercials showing the shady past of that beer and its founders?

And people call the Left sensitive snowflakes.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Beatnixx1414
We are canadian. We have better beer. And we are tolerant. Mostly we are tge melting pot of all cultures. Yet we just want our better beer.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

You are going to throw out ancedote vs statistical data. Ok.
You didnt even present an argument.

It sounds like the Forgotten Americans have some Forgotten Canadian cousins.

The population of quebec is 20% of canada. Not barely a fraction.
Yea a referendum in 1995 that was a 1% difference of a yes vote with 92% turnout is small peas

Are you drunk?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
and reply to: jellyrev

Again your ignorance, first of all it's 15 percent not 20 but nice exaggeration, and secondly you forgot to mention the part that Quebec City has a population of only 500k. Montreal has over 1.6 million and is a multicultural city. Do the math, Quebec city is a minority even in thier own province. Hardly a representation of Canada. But nice try though. This is what happens when you rely only on empirical data from Google, because I doubt you've travelled Canada yourself.

Canada population 36mill
Quebec city population 500k

Your "white" French america sure is a big fraction of Canada eh?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

8.2/36=22%

What are you talking about? I never mentioned quebec city.
I only mentioned the province.

I dont know what you are even debating me on.

Ive been to canada plenty of times.

Oh i see you are trying to claim pure french bred canadians have been outbred and out populated by migrants thus the 8.2 million does not represent white french canadians, 15% is close enough. Ok, i dont disagree with that.

Is that it? Your ancedotes about population demographics were wrong and 1995 is not 40 years ago.
Do you disagree with the year of the referendum?
edit on 5-2-2017 by jellyrev because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

I'm debating your notion that "white french" is of any significance, 500k is hardly any representation of Canada and you keep bringing them up like they are the reason we can't have or understand diversity. Did you forget your opening post?

"Super majority white" yes until you realize German, European, Scottish, swedish etc etc are considered white and most are actually immigrants.

Like I keep saying, empirical data doesn't show you the whole picture. You can't just look at a few numbers and decide diversity, because it's also measured in culture.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Wait when the vocal minority overcome the silent majority, then you will know that who really runs the country.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Canada is much more white, and mainly only british isles and French white.

Really that is your issue? I said mainly those of the british isles(english, scottish, welsh, irish) and french. Germans look to be after them at 10%

French canadian as of 2006 census is around 5 million.

Do you really have something against french canadian culture or something.

Are you trying to prove Canada is diverse by claiming their are no french canadians?

I was claiming that Canada is not as diverse as is claimed. I am also claiming Canada does not experience the same levels of diversity as the US.
Lastly I am claiming that Canada should better understand the risk posed by diversity to a nation state due to a large minority culture not fitting in with the rest.

I am trying to stimulate debate. this is fun.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

Your response makes no sense and is all over the place.

I lived in Montreal for about 6 years, why would I hate the French? where did I say or even hint at having something against the French? I thought I made it clear to you my only issue was with your inaccurate assessment of Canada, which was based on anecdote and raw emperical data. How much more clear can I be? It's been clear to me since your first post that you didn't really know what you were talking about. I didn't even want to respond to you but your first post was so full of ignorance and difficult for me to read I felt compelled to.

Are you trying to prove Canada is diverse by claiming their are no french canadians? 

How did you even reach this conclusion? No really, I'm having a hard time comprehending
this.

It's clear you don't even live here, but apparently know how diverse it is based on some raw numbers that don't even give you the full context.

I'm not even going to entertain this anymore, it's so silly that I have to explain something that doesn't need explanation.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Well last time I was up there some 10 years or so, there was a big difference in diversity between you all and Americans in just how many people and in what kind of sweaters they were wearing. But it is somewhat sweater weather there at certain times. In summer it was quite different I am sure.

But that video does seem like to much of a pat on the back because your Canadian. So self indulgent. You know if your people keep that up they will end up like there down south cousins, eh? Besides this ban on immigrants and migrants from certain countries is only about 2 months long, there have been presidents which have put in law and lasted much longer then that from pretty much all nationalities in the past.

Care to take a bet that some will be still talking about this some months from now and not know that the whole thing is over and done with? Now aint that funny. Or will be in two months time from now. Quite a hilarity, and much ado about nothing.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

" We Canadians are proud of our diversity "

Proud of the Diversity from People who Enter Canada Legally , or Illegally ? or Both ?
edit on 6-2-2017 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I feel the same, I don't understand what you are trying to get at it either.
I posted some fishing questions to see if I could find some traction in what you are actually getting it. It did not work.

never claimed I lived in canada. Why do you keep bringing this up?

I believe you are trolling, The Quebec referendum happened 20 years ago, not 40. Hence you have to be trolling, I remember it as a kid in the USA.
How can I trust a canadian who cannot remember that issue?

I am hoping someone else can tell me what you are trying to say.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   
As a First Nations person, I can tell you our country isn't perfect and that there is racism but the majority of the time, I rarely face racism. Sure I have dealt with it but I prefer to ignore the ignorant and go about my life.

In my university, there is a diversity every where I look and it is a good feeling. I had one class where a white classmate described her upbringing in a rural farm area, she talked about how she was always surrounded with family members, friends or community member who always spoke negatively about First Nations. She grew up with this dislike for First Nations but when she came to school and actually met and dealt with First Nations, she said her whole ideals were a lie based on ignorance.

I know we have bad apples but so does every group and it is ignorance to judge an entire group based on the few. I used to dislike white people because I was raised with the notion that all white people were out to get me and these thought processes were instilled in me by my family. I grew up with a distrust of white people and never tried to get know any but later in my life I realized this distrust was based on stories from family members. I never actually took the time to get to know any, of course I tried to get know some and of course I dealt with racism and ignorance but I also experienced the decent people who only saw me as an individual and not a representative of my group.

If people only took the time to meet people of other religions, race or sexuality, I am sure your life would change for the better. I hear in the news all the time about how bad Muslims are but I go to school with them and they joke around, laugh and engage with others just like anyone else. Stop painting the whole group as sharia loving idiots because they are not all the same.
edit on 6-2-2017 by cantthinkofausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Diversity simply means less whites and less of what it means to be white. the word diversity is not used in black, Muslim or Asian countries or communities is it?.

Tolerance means the same thing, funny how we never hear the black, Muslim or Asian countries or communities talking about the need to be tolerant of whites and of those things it means to be white or western.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

Diversity simply means less whites and less of what it means to be white. the word diversity is not used in black, Muslim or Asian countries or communities is it?.

Tolerance means the same thing, funny how we never hear the black, Muslim or Asian countries or communities talking about the need to be tolerant of whites and of those things it means to be white or western.

That is ignorance talking and those countries are no where the same as ours, so who cares what they do. Both countries in North America are better and both of our countries were based on diversity.

I am not sure what you are talking about when it comes to white culture, white people are made of of diverse groups, Russian, Polish...etc. There is not such as white culture, black culture or whatever culture because each group has their own diversity.

edit on 6-2-2017 by cantthinkofausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

You sound as if less whiteness makes you sad.
edit on 6-2-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
weird double post... move along, nothing to see here.
edit on 6-2-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
I love Canada and its diversity but the Quebecois is a stain on history and one that never comes up as if it didn't happen or is justified.
We took the train to Quebec City a few years back and stayed in the Old City. My French is the kind that gets laughed at. We took no grief, everybody was friendly. I've been to Quebec a few times and never encountered any grief.

I have to second this; I've met many Quebecois summer tourists here in BC and none of them ever came across as being combative. The whole Anglo-Canadian/French-Canadian dichotomy seems to be a thing of past generations.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Yeah, Canada is diverse. Bwahahahahah! Are you serious? Maybe, and only maybe, if you break white people up into lots of different sub-groups... and even then Canada is not diverse.

Google search reveals 2.5% of the Canada pop is black. 11% identifies as mix of black and white.

What a load.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join