It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US trade war against China will make US worst and more isolated.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
US cannot do a trade war against China because China has most of the Asian markets except Japan, Korea when it comes to tech.

US trade war with China will hurt Korea and Japan even more if they decide to be used to block Chinese trade route(this is an act of war to be honest). Especially China town or other Asian towns like Korean towns. Where do you think all those exotic and Asian food comes from? If you had traveled to China they have a lot of farm fields to feed their population unlike US which is usually own by Companies.

You will see a rise in food prices. Western restaurants already cost a lot for a meal compare to most Asian markets. The Asians living in US will require food from western markets. This will increase food price, etc due to different seasons. The homeless will be hit the hardest. Every country siding with BRICS will probably leave US as US will be seen as big aggressor having military all over China's trade route if US goes that far with their military.

Russia will not leave Chinese alliance especially the sanctions going on from EU against Russia. Most EU countries are trading with China now. For America to completely screw over China is to have Russia blocking and US military on the silk route which won't happen. This side effect not only helps Corporate food industry to rise on American side, and possible takeover of food industry like Mcdonald being the cheapest meal alternative. All the small businesses will have to start competing with Mcdonald prices instead of comparing to Asian market food prices. As Asian food market rises, same will happen with the Western Markets.

Why? To feed that many people using factory products also has a side effect, this can cause maximum production and increase of energy usage possibly causing more pollution. Most of Western market is factory made compare to the East such as fruits and vegetables. If pollution increases expect less food and more disasters ahead. Who is to blame when American food started to become less due to pollution? The US. Also US military don't really know how to farm. As they are blocking trade routes, they can also be blocking lands that can be farm fields which rather be used as a training ground instead. Shooting all those depleted uranium and hazardous bombs has major side effect on the soil itself.

Seriously though US farmers don't do these kind of things.
gender.stanford.edu...
edit on 4-2-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

US cannot do a trade war against China because China has most of the Asian markets except Japan, Korea when it comes to tech.

Sure we could.

You get these companies to bring that cash back.

China is done for.

money.cnn.com...

They are only being propped up by US.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Sure we could.

You get these companies to bring that cash back.

China is done for.

money.cnn.com...

They are only being propped up by US.

That is digital money wise. If US start blocking food import and exports. The side effect will start happening. You just hope Trump doesn't do that. So beware of US naval blockade of trade ships, that is the most worrying thing ever.
edit on 4-2-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I worked for a few years doing customer service for a company that makes large, well known products. Eventually I worked my way into management but that's an unrelated story.

When I was interfacing with the customers directly I dealt with a large number of people that were very upset because the products were made in China.

I tried to explain that the steel did not come from China, they didn't care. If it wasn't American steel and made in America they were very upset. This was a very frequent interaction. I tried to explain that the quality standards were the same as when the company used to operate out of the US. They didn't care. I tried to explain how the cost of the product would raise by manufacturing in the US using US steel, they didn't believe me or care... This is something the company had researched extensively and decided the savings from manufacturing in China greatly outweighed any gains from doing so in the US.

After a few years of this I decided that if the people really wanted it then they should have it. Bring the plants back to the US, make with US steel. Increase the cost of what many already considered an expensive product. That's the cost for buying American.

Do it. Bring manufacturing back to the US. Eventually people will understand why we ship manufacturing overseas and will have to decide based on their own firsthand experiences whether they'd have cheaper products or US jobs.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

When the Chinese bought American dollars, with their currency, it devalued their currency, and raised the Dollar. Giving them a trade advantage. The same policy where the Chinese buy property overseas. But unfortunately its going to backfire. Because when the dollar goes it will be of their own making.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

US trade war with China will hurt Korea and Japan even more if they decide to be used to block Chinese trade route(this is an act of war to be honest). Especially China town or other Asian towns like Korean towns. Where do you think all those exotic and Asian food comes from? If you had traveled to China they have a lot of farm fields to feed their population unlike US which is usually own by Companies.

You have it all wrong.

Your argument is based purely upon the price of food going up because the USA relies on Asia to provide what it cannot supply for itself.

As the U.S. population has grown in size and ethnic diversity, the volume and variety of food consumed and imported in the United States has increased correspondingly. In 2013, U.S. food consumption totaled 635 billion pounds, or more than 2,000 pounds per capita. Of this amount, imports accounted for 19 percent (123 billion pounds), or 390 pounds per capita. Imports comprise an increasing share of food consumed by Americans, much of which cannot be produced domestically due to climate conditions and crop seasonality

www.ers.usda.gov...

Furthermore, Canada and Mexico account for 8 times more food imports than China does.

www.ers.usda.gov...

Of that 19% that the USA imports, a country like Australia (ie NOT China) could produce 100% (yes every last mouthful) of. Australia is located in the Southern hempisphere so anything that is out of season for the USA will be in season down here. We also have every climate type needed to grow the foods you all love. And anything Australia can't supply, New Zealand can. Even your beloved Asian veggies.

So, suck it up China, you are not the most important country on the planet. Get used to it.
edit on 4-2-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity
That makes sense. I can't really comment on that, international economics isn't something I really know about. I can only speak from my own experiences with consumers and their demands.

If we can get manufacturing back in the states and not have it drive up cost then I'm all for it. I know a large and very vocal group wants that too.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Expecting countries to act in accordance to international financial laws, international laws, and trade agreements is not a trade war! It's law enforcement.......

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents
When I was interfacing with the customers directly I dealt with a large number of people that were very upset because the products were made in China.

Do it. Bring manufacturing back to the US. Eventually people will understand why we ship manufacturing overseas and will have to decide based on their own firsthand experiences whether they'd have cheaper products or US jobs.

I could not agree with you more.

I actually read packaging to look if things are made in China. If I can find something that is not made there in the whatever category I am purchasing, I will actually buy it. It is to my increasing ire that certain things are only made there now.

I am quite happy to pay more for something that is not made there, even more happy when I know it was made somewhere in the west. Usually non Chinese products last better and the money goes to workers who work in humane conditions as long as it was not made anywhere in Asia or India other than Japan, Thailand or South Korea.
edit on 4-2-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Completely agree with you OP only problem is the Trump supporters don't live anywhere near places that have "China towns", so they don't care.

Bringing all production over to the US, if that actually happens, will take years to do so. That transition period will be hellish. Then once the transition phase is over, we will have way more pollution in the US than we already have. Water prices will go up too since the factories will take our water. By that time we will have an oil spill contaminating our water supply.

When everything was made in America, everything, that was in the 50's. The items just in your home are completely different now, and more of it.

20% import tax on palm oil and everything else from the rainforest will make things insane. We don't have a rainforest here in the US to destroy so I can't imagine what kind of bizarre unhealthy cheap creations they will come up with in a lab as replacements of raw materials.
edit on 4-2-2017 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

US cannot do a trade war against China because China has most of the Asian markets except Japan, Korea when it comes to tech

What are you on about? Trump doesn't want an export war he just Wants Americans to buy America and stop making China prosper on the back of Americans. If American products can compete China will lose a massive market share hence why they are #ting their pants.

As Trump has said the deck is stacked against America, hes just levelling the playing field.

Ask any small business owner.

Edit: Noone wants to buy Asian food!!! And here in Australia we are warned against it.

Frozen Chinese berries contain Hepatitis

Imported food from China tested positive to toxic chemicals, banned pesticides and antibiotics.

China's food safety issue

China pays more than double the price for our fruit and vegetables because of the poor health standards they have. (they import their baby formula from here in Australia) making it short supply for us Aussies.

China pays more than double to import fruit and vegetables.

If they wont eat their own fruit and vegetables why would you?

YOU ARE CRAZY IF YOU EAT PRODUCE FROM CHINA
edit on 4-2-2017 by muSSang because: Fixed a link

edit on 4-2-2017 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I don't know why people scare of China. Too much TV I guess. Same guys are scare of Trump too. So if you are scare of China, that makes you a .......

....yep, you got it.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
sure the companies tell you that the same quality materials and manufacturing standards are used in china as they are here but I think they are lying.of course they are going to tell us that because they want to sell those cheaper poorer quality products for the same price as the higher quality products they use to make before they moved to china.

I look for products that aren`t made in china and I pay more for them because experience has taught me that Chinese made stuff is poor quality junk that doesn`t last long.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: muSSang

exactly, nobody ever made money by manufacturing stuff, they made money by selling the stuff they manufacture.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This is funny....lol....everyone on earth knows American Made is seriously the best....including the Chineese who are LOADED WITH MONEY TO SPEND.America could turn itself into one big high end factory and get rich feeding the Asian growth curve....its all about resources now globally....and NOW is the time to SPEND....when there are still more resources than money....no one supports Trump and a fatcat rich America than China.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I don't care for china or its future. I care about the US and our economy. The US is capable of a self sustaining economy, the damned manufacturing infrastructure is still there, abiet rusting away.
Furthermore, from a simplistic perspective, we just got lazy. We can get the ball moving again and I'll glady pay more for AMERICAN.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Wow, your mindset is completely wacko, thats one of many reasons why your side lost.

There are plenty of new and emerging technologies to help curb harmful emissions, with smart power grids and constructions, future factories will be an ecosystem unto itself.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus
I can't speak for anybody but myself. I was not being lied to. I'm not talking about some vague "companies say" level. I talked with board members, the head of engineering that had been with the company from its inception decades ago, heck even some of the marketing guys... I had a lot of great opportunities and took the chances I got to bring the subject up when it was appropriate. I had seen some numbers in print. They spent a lot of money researching if it was a viable option. It wasn't.

Not every corporation is out to screw the consumer. Many are, without a doubt. But not all.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
a reply to: muSSang

exactly, nobody ever made money by manufacturing stuff, they made money by selling the stuff they manufacture.

Actually, the economy is driven by working a raw material (from iron ore to movie scripts) into a marketable commodity.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Bro, it really bothers me that right wingers label me as the other side because I don't agree with them. I'm from Hawai'i, you learn in pre-school that the United States stole the land from the Hawaiians. That's what side I'm on politically if I have to make a choice about a political party, I would choose none, they're all bad. When you grow up and are related to native people, you learn to have respect for the land and the people. So naturally, things like protecting the land and waters, granting people their human and civil rights I vote for.

All I want is for marijuana to have complete legalization and for alien technology to come out. If we end up not having any alien technology hidden away but the worlds top scientist have come up with anti-gravity or something like zero-point energy that can replace fossil fuels I'm all for that. I believe Obama back in 2008 wanted to end our dependence on fossil fuels and bust out futurist energy sources but was constantly blocked by Congress all he could get accomplished was a small amount of green technology. In his 2008 inauguration speech he hinted at this technology pretty clearly.

The Tea Party doesn't want to expose advanced technology because they make way too much money off of fossil fuels.

Another poster above made a good point about lying. Business's lie all the time. There is no way everything is going to be 100% made in the USA...if you believe that you no experience in import sales of any kind. The other thing people have no understanding due to zero experience is the ups and downs of production. Some countries may have better product and supply then compared to another country. If we bring all production to the US, if we have problems with production we are out of options.

For example if you are buying product out of Indonesia and something happens to their economy or raw materials where production slows down and prices go up, you can buy out of India or Vietnam for example. If we bring everything to the US, and we have problems with production then we're screwed. The other thing is seasons. The US only has the US seasons, if you buy product all over the world you can jump around to whatever is in season so for US consumers it's available year round, not when it's in season.

Trump's generic plan, or should I say idea, because there is no real plan, just tweets, is a dream. Sure it sounds great and motivational, and patriotic, but I'm sure if you analyzed it out detail by detail there would be problems. Right off the bat it seems like we are already disrupting relationships with other countries. We should be in the hand shaking business not giving the middle finger and slamming doors. Some Americans are turned on by that, but I think it will cause problems and set us up for failure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join