It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More pics from Iraq..(not graphic)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Thought i would share these recent pics from Iraq.They were taken in and around Basrah.

Take a look at the children's faces. They have nothing, yet they are still smiling.
The soldiers faces have been blacked out on purpose.
Click the image to enlarge.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have one question that comes to mind often when I hear a reporter warn that a video to be played or pictures to be shown are "graphic." How can there be a film, video, or picture that is not graphic, regardless of its content? Are they not called photographs?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Great photos Eddie. Looking at the last one, those 2 guys centre and left just look like a couple of kids.

Hoping they go home safe and soon.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I have one question that comes to mind often when I hear a reporter warn that a video to be played or pictures to be shown are "graphic." How can there be a film, video, or picture that is not graphic, regardless of its content? Are they not called photographs?

OK. point taken.

The title says "not graphic" by way of meaning that they are not horrific or show dismembered bodies etc. That way people will have no problem by clicking the link.
But then i suppose you knew that anyways eh?

By the way, thanks for the input regarding the images.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
HEy Grady, use you freakin head? THat is one of the stupidist things I have ever heard. HOw about a comment on how it seems that we may be helping hte people of Iraq, instead of all the bad press and media.

graph·ic (grăf'ĭk)
adj. also graph·i·cal (-ĭ-kəl)

Of or relating to written representation.
Of or relating to pictorial representation.
Of, relating to, or represented by or as if by a graph.

Described in vivid detail.
Clearly outlined or set forth.
Of or relating to the graphic arts.
Of or relating to graphics.
Geology. Having crystals resembling printed characters.
n.
A work of graphic art.
A pictorial device used for illustration, as in a lecture.
A graphic display generated by a computer or an imaging device

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Thanks for the support esdad71.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
No problem. It seems deny ignorance does not allow for the use of common sense.

There is alot going on in Iraq, we are slowing losing the push for liberation, they may be voting but will be more contested than Ohio, and everyday the average citizen is thrust further into despair. Empathy is easy, and it is not support but simply understanding tha I am glad to live in America and support my troops than be stuck in a hut with no one to trust.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
In Grady's defense
I don't believe his post warrants the kind of response you gave esdad, I see nothing in your definition pertaining to violence or gratuitousness either. I also don't think he was trying to make a point eddie, but rather make a conversational enquiry. Some comment on topic could have been made though.

This place is getting weird lately.

[edit on 30-1-2005 by cargo]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Cargo, in my defense, go read some of the posts that Grady has posted in the past. His comment was nothing but a jibe, and he made absolutely no comment regarding the pictures. It is common sense that a 'graphic image' is one that may warranted a warning, and Grady more than wholeheartedly doles out the commone sense to those who slip up. Sorry, maybe I was bieng childish, but after looking at the pics, I would have rather read something good, than what he posted.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
GradyPhilpott
that is by far the funniest comment ive heard all day

he was making a joke guys
geez
lmao

and it was hilarious

good 1 grady!

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I'm glad that someone appreciates my humor. The comment was tangential and rhetorical in nature. I think the photos speak for themselves.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
So you went out on a tangent to make a statement to provoke response Grady? Then create another post and pose a question. I think your second statment is to cover up your first.

The reason would be because of posts in this forum that have 'graphic' pictures from Iraq. So, Mr, Mensa, in this day and age it may mean that there is something not for the PG-13 or G rated crowd.

Sorry, I see no humor in what was said. So please tell us, what did the photos say, or did you even take the time to look?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
So you went out on a tangent to make a statement to provoke response Grady? Then create another post and pose a question. I think your second statment is to cover up your first.

Excuse me, esdad. You have no call to take me to task in such a manner. My post was not directed at you or your post, but rather at english usage. I do believe that I have the right to comment on posts, as I see fit. Until and unless you find yourself exalted to some post higher than that you now hold, I suggest that you take my posts for what they are and refrain from castigating those whose post you find enigmatic, or at the very least, respectfully request an explanation.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I don't need to point you to posts where I have strongly disagreed with Grady's posts and I know what he is like. I guess my attempt to be more rational and less aggressive at ATS this year is not rubbing off, but at least I'm trying!

Certain people at ATS feed off of hate and confrontation, so I think it would be better for all to just relax and speak honestly in a calm tone. But it's not easy.

Anyway, back on topic, Eddie do you have any info on the last picture regarding the event which lead to the bus/truck/whatever getting shot up?

[edit on 31-1-2005 by cargo]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Chill out, folks. Grady was being facetious, sort of like saying why do we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway. He wasn't knocking BikerEddie at all, as far as I can see.

Maybe it's something in the drinking water...

BikerEdiie, you're right about one thing...the eternal optimism of children. It's the reason we adults keep trying to carry on in spite of things.

[edit on 31-1-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
First, I would again like to thank bikereddie for the pics of the other side of war but.....

I agree cargo, I thought it would be a good idea to attempt to turn the other cheek this year but.....

Grady, I have just as much right to comment or contest anything that is posted, so I will ask again, can you make a contibution about the pictures?

This is not English Lit Honors, so there is no need for you to point out any use of the English language you may feel is incorrect. Like I said, create a post about the horrbile use of the Enlgish language with kids today. You are very well written, but I felt no sarcasm in your comment about the use of the word graphic. No real offense is meant, jost speaking my mind in an open forum. If anything I was hoping to tone it down a notch.

I mean, I have read people accusing each other of missspllleed words as case for arguement as to why BUsh should not be president. Now that is sarcasm folks.....

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo

Anyway, back on topic, Eddie do you have any info on the last picture regarding the event which lead to the bus/truck/whatever getting shot up?

[edit on 31-1-2005 by cargo]

Ok folks, back to the topic....

The vehicle is a refuse wagon. It was subjected to a roadside IED. The holes you can see are from steel ball bearings. Not sure if any cassualties came from this.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Just thought i would post a response to Grady.

No offence taken mate. Maybe i read your reply wrong, but hey, it shows im human after all

Enjoy the pics. More to follow as soon as i get then uploaded.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I thought it looked like a garbage truck. Now really what is the point of attacking a basic part of a stable infrastructure? This only goes to show that these insurgents do not want stability or peace. Is that overturned truck (pic5) one of those troop transport vehicles? Doesnt appear that it was attacked maybe it was just going too fast and tried to make a sharp turn on unstable terrain?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I thought it looked like a garbage truck. Now really what is the point of attacking a basic part of a stable infrastructure? This only goes to show that these insurgents do not want stability or peace. Is that overturned truck (pic5) one of those troop transport vehicles? Doesnt appear that it was attacked maybe it was just going too fast and tried to make a sharp turn on unstable terrain?

The over turned truck was put there as a road block by the insurgents. It was also booby trapped too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join