It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distributor timing problem

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
here`s my old chevy truck, I painted it myself in my yard

It has a 305 engine that burns a little oil with true dual exhaust.

I don`t know how many miles it has on it because when I bought it the speedometer was broken (the needle was gone) the speedometer cable was broken and the little plastic speedometer gear inside the transmission was broken off. I fixed all that and got a speedometer from the junkyard.

the only rust it had was above the rear wheels and the cab corners, I replaced the cab corners and used bondo to patch the rust above the wheels.

all the chrome and emblems were gone I replaced it all.

the interior was pretty much gutted , I put it all back together.

I got the wheels from a guy on craigslist, I think they are from a Tahoe or a suburban.The wheels that were on it when I bought it were big 22 inch spooked wheels that rubbed the wheel wells. I don`t know he even managed to drive it with them wheels.

I painted it with restoration shop single stage acrylic urethane paint, I put 7 coats on.

edit on 4-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

whitewall tires, they look good on that.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Toll box for those is probably a pair of pliers a hammer and a roll of rabbit wire .

Yep, well a fly wheel puller too.

I got that one off an old farmer in Patterson Cali. He had it parked in his house behind the sofa.
He also took me on a tour through several barns where he had 30-40 antique cars, most in original condition. He has a bunch of antique gas pumps beautifully restores. The ones with glass bowls on top

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus
Hey, that is a sweet truck. I like it. I have similar rims on mine, but they are swept. Its a Z71. Dad bought it for me

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

thanks,

i bought it for $800 and did a lot of work on it and now the only time i drive it is to haul stuff to the dump and get things from home depot or lowes, i have a 1999 suburban that i use most.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Heres my girl I removed the Z71 stickers when AI got it. Dad offered to buy me a S10 2 wheel drive. I pointed to a Z and said that's what I really want. He said ok, but you owe me $10,000. When I went to pay him back he said forget about it, keep your money. That was 19 years ago, and he is still proud he did that for me. It was my first and only new vehicle

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I had an 1985 Suburban. It was cool. I lost that, the Model A and the Chevelle to the Ex wife in my divorce.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   

I screwed around with mine as it kept cutting out,found out it had a crack in the base,had to buy new one,baffeled mechanics,till one day it was bolted in place and I could slightly move it

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sostratus

That got it and it was the easy way, thanks, it`s all done.

I put the distributor in and turned the crank shaft with a breaker bar until the rotor lined up perfectly in line with the arrow on the distributor housing, that got the oil pump shaft lined up right. then I took the distributor out and turned the crank until the timing marks lined up, then I put the distributor back in and everything fell right in place, the arrow and rotor lined up and the distributor went right onto the oil pump shaft with the rotor and arrow still inline.

it started right up the first try, and after I reconnected 2 vacuum lines, that I missed when I hooked everything else up, it ran smooth.

when I get the new distributor I now know how to put it in easily.

you have to get the rotor and the arrow lined up really precisely for it to run, if it`s off by just a little bit the car says: "F.U. I ain`t going anywhere, try again fool"

I even managed to fix the coolant leak which Is why I took it all apart, I wasn`t sure if it was the head gasket or in the intake gasket.I know this engine has a problem with leaking lower intake gaskets so I took a chance and just replaced that and no more leak.
after I get the new distributor in I can give this POS back to my daughter and move, and not leave a forwarding address or phone number so she can`t come running to dad the next time something breaks

edit on 5-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Good deal, once you do one it's a piece of cake...just hard to explain- lol

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join