It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq's uranium found !!!!!!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Iraq's unranuim was found 12 miles south of Baghdad. If i got the story wrong tell me. This probably shows iraq still had a nuclear program and that they lied to the UN.

www.theolympian.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
That states that they found natural and low enriched Uranium.

The IEAE and all sanctions allowed Iraq to keep such stocks during the sanctions provided they had no method with which to further enrich it.

To me it does point that they intended to use this uranium later, most likely for weapons. Why hide the uranium if the IEAE knew about it, tagged it, and let it be.. unless you want to have a secret stash to make weapons from.

The next key would be to find the equipment needed to enrich that material in Iraq. Finding both would definately mean they had plans on making nukes during or after sanctions.

The only hard parts about making a nuke is getting uranium/plutonium, and enriching it. Everything else could be made by anyone with decent electronics skills, engineering skills, access to a decent metal shop, and access to decent explosive or the chemical knowledge to create them.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushfriend
Iraq's unranuim was found 12 miles south of Baghdad. If i got the story wrong tell me. This probably shows iraq still had a nuclear program and that they lied to the UN.

www.theolympian.com...

any other sources to back this up?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
No it does not mean they did. If my memory serves me right UN inspectors were well aware of this low grade material or yellowcake.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Originally published Saturday, June 21, 2003

Story's a year & a half old.
I do believe we knew about this.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
As well as it being an old story as Banshee points out , it is also a misleading one.

Headline reads Uranium Found. When you read it you find that nothing has been found it has been accounted for. It is a complete red herring of a story. Basically they've found an empty warehouse.

That is the way stories are twisted. You read it and you understood what they wanted you to. For most people that nugget of information stays with them even if they can't remember the details.In the end you're left with the idea that Iraq had Nukes.

The truth is they found and empty warehouse and the absence of any proof that it ever contained uranium is explained by looting.

By this logic you can explain anything.

I think this is a really good example of media manipulation.

Thanks for bringing it up again.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
its not the matter that iraq had it rather its that they could transfer it to someone who could enrich it further, the UN should have confiscated it any way.
Anyways uranuim is radioactive and dangrous.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushfriend
its not the matter that iraq had it rather its that they could transfer it to someone who could enrich it further, the UN should have confiscated it any way.
Anyways uranuim is radioactive and dangrous.

There's really no way that all of Iraq's uranium can be confiscated, as it is a naturally occurring element. It simply would have been impossible to do so and would have been impossible for Iraq to comply of its own free will. This is probably why the UN chose not to ban Iraq from having low-grade uranium after the Gulf War. In that context, this story is no suprise and I would strongly suspect that Iraq did have at least some low-grade uranium on hand before the war. I do not find it particularly concerning, either.

Weapons grade uranium, on the other hand, is a different story and Iraq should have been (and was) banned from possessing it after the first Gulf War.

top topics

join