It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pong paddle controller 4 PC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I remember the old days playing PONG with neighbor girl, my those where the days. (not me or her in photo) But some of you might relate?

As of late I been reviewing and playing some of my 6k plus romset's on MAME. Realized I have a lot of PONG type games, mostly blockbuster games which I always enjoyed. On the old consoles your controller was a paddle which you would rotate right or left to move the cursor(paddle) back and forth.

On the later Atari 1200 they had a corded and larger wheel on them.

So my dilemma is this. I don't see anywhere online where you can buy a pc version of this paddle type controller? I have found pictures of breadboard type projects, but the articles are gone.

If it comes down to having to do massive research and build my own, I might as well build a few and sell them for high dollar on Amazon then.

Anyone know a cheaper alternative?

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Try looking into the MAME machine crowd. A good friend built a MAME machine with all the bells and whistles. They've found a way to adapt just about everything.

Maybe this will help or at least be a good start. That's for the 2600 and I'm not sure if it's compatible with the 1200.

I didn't check out the connections but maybe, this will help?

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents
Try looking into the MAME machine crowd. A good friend built a MAME machine with all the bells and whistles. They've found a way to adapt just about everything.

Maybe this will help or at least be a good start. That's for the 2600 and I'm not sure if it's compatible with the 1200.

I didn't check out the connections but maybe, this will help?
Both those links are also dead ends like I said above I looked hard. But thanks.

ETA: I meant 2600.
edit on 2 4 2017 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Naturallywired

I know what im gonna install on my MAME

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
No problem. Good luck with your search. I've got nothing to do right now and love the vintage games scene. I wouldn't mind helping you look. What is the problem with those being dead ends? Are the connections different or is the hardware just no longer available?

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

No problem. Good luck with your search. I've got nothing to do right now and love the vintage games scene. I wouldn't mind helping you look. What is the problem with those being dead ends? Are the connections different or is the hardware just no longer available?
404 page when you drill down.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

I know what im gonna install on my MAME
What's that? Do tell. Sorry maybe I forgot to explain MAME.
MAME emulator

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Geez, do it right. If you want to play Pong, buy one of the old upright arcade machines. Get one that takes quarters...

Kneel, bow, pray to the dumbest game that started it all:

Ponnng...

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
All right. What about the 2600-Daptor?

But, I think I got you, man. Stelladaptor, one left on ebay.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I found a company that sells buttons for sound which can be integrated with the raspberry and programmed, install two of those in the middle, and you can start playing some cool arcade games

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Geez, do it right. If you want to play Pong, buy one of the old upright arcade machines. Get one that takes quarters...

Ponnng...
I was skimming through all my rom's on MAME and just came across some real cool blockbuster or "breakout" type games. So many odd Japanese ones too. My pc joystick is sloppy at best. The whole idea of using a joystick analog or even a independent d-pad just is too sensitive for the emulator pc experience. IMHO.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
You can buy controller adapters modules to connect just about any system ever to your PC USB, so if you get se NES adapter now you can plug any and all of the controllers you have / can get for that system and expect them all (except light guns) to work flawlessly. You should be able to find paddle controllers for any of those older systems.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

I found a company that sells buttons for sound which can be integrated with the raspberry and programmed, install two of those in the middle, and you can start playing some cool arcade games
Going to have to explain that better please.
or show me?

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
If it's just for play style and you don't specifically need the 2600 controller you could always go with a generic spinner. There's a lot of different ones, my friend used a SpinTrak. Or maybe this guy's DIY project is good?

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired

originally posted by: intrptr

Ponnng...
I was skimming through all my rom's on MAME and just came across some real cool blockbuster or "breakout" type games. So many odd Japanese ones too. My pc joystick is sloppy at best. The whole idea of using a joystick analog or even a independent d-pad just is too sensitive for the emulator pc experience. IMHO.

I had the Atari 800, lots of installed games there, preferring star raiders.

Sort of followed along to Space wars, then Asteroids, Wing Commander, Flight Simulator, Falcon...

the history of flight, lol.

Paddle games? Bah...

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Ah! I used to love the Star Raiders keypad controller. I haven't seen one physically in ages. What I would give to have all that stuff again...

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
You can buy controller adapters modules to connect just about any system ever to your PC USB, so if you get se NES adapter now you can plug any and all of the controllers you have / can get for that system and expect them all (except light guns) to work flawlessly. You should be able to find paddle controllers for any of those older systems.
LINK? Where? I keep hearing that but no links to actual stuff to purchase or build plans?

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

If it's just for play style and you don't specifically need the 2600 controller you could always go with a generic spinner. There's a lot of different ones, my friend used a SpinTrak. Or maybe this guy's DIY project is good?
YES! This is what I am looking for. Gonna skim through it real quick and see if it's complete?

ETA: looks plausible, but was hoping for something easier. Got a feeling his might be the easiest with my expertise. Time to charge up my dremmel.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

a reply to: intrptr
Ah! I used to love the Star Raiders keypad controller. I haven't seen one physically in ages. What I would give to have all that stuff again...

Not me. Still have 8 bit, 1.79 MHZ, blazing performance features nightmares. I bought it for Star Raiders.

The Org "PC"

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Trying to find it...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join