It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What constitutes hoarding?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I mentioned in another post that me and my wife had gathered food and water (to an extent) to be prepared against future disruptions, be it natural or ww3... or anything in between.

I was told in that thread that if I have food and water and do not share it with those in need I could be charged, and was called a Hoarder.

I do not understand what I could be charged with... Or how I qualify as a hoarder.

Now if someone shows up willing to work for some food, or willing to join us and assist each other in surviving etc... I will happily bring them in and help them and their family.

If you show up at my door demand food because your hungry, I am most likely going to send you packing, and my group will from that moment on be armed (if we are not already) and ready for trouble.

I hope that clarifies things... more than a bit tired at the moment fighting off my yearly cold that has manifested itself in a cough that is hard enough to give me a headache.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: Natas0114
a reply to: infolurker

You should look into rabbits. They are very quiet, eat very little, make a lot of meat, fur is warm, and the best manure available.

I am thinking Chickens this year actually.

I can see Rabbits for an emergency but I just don't like eating them while chickens produce eggs as well.
I have both, plus abundant wild hogs.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well if storing food and other supplies for long term survival is hoarding I guess my 401k is hoarding as well.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I'm raising some rabbits this year. Not for meat, just because I want the manure for my garden and landscaping (Sandy soil here) projects. The wife is interested in the pelts but I'm not really keen on killing critters I don't need to. I hunt and fish enough to provide most of our meat already. My neighbors do chickens and do well, but they have a very large family to feed. I might do a little trading with some local farmers for.eggs or dairy or honey, but I don't want to do the slaughtering, that's on them.
Good luck with your chicken operations, let me know how it goes for you.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf
During the World Wars, when rationing was introduced, the Britsh government brought in laws against the hoarding of food. It even applied to food items which had been bought before the laws came into force. Harsh, but it was probably the only way to stop endless wrangling about date of purchase. If the stuff was there, it was being hoarded- end of argument.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
I think your statement aught to read "there is nothing illegal about hoarding YET". Yet being the operative word. If the SHTF scenario you can bet your bottom dollar that the authorities WILL bring in a law that states any person can only hold enough food or water for so many days or weeks.
Don't believe me? Look what happened in war time, it was called rationing. If you were caught hoarding there were severe punishments as to be able to hoard food meant that you had surplus food that could feed others.
Look back only a few years and you could be punished for hoarding gold. Of course this will not happen till TSHTF but believe me if or when it does if your found hoarding (the amount classed as a hoard will be decided by the authorities) you will be punished and you hoard confiscated.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hoarding is a form of mental illness.

Prepping is for survival.

This isn't super difficult to understand.

"Hoarders" is an often painful look inside a disease that can bury its sufferer -- literally at times -- in its symptoms. Each hourlong episode profiles two people on the verge of a personal crisis, all caused by the fact that they are unable to part with even the tiniest possessions, and the cumulative effect becomes a mountain of junk and garbage overtaking their home or apartment. If they don't respond to professional help, the consequences sometimes involve eviction, kids being taken away, or even jail time.

www.aetv.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think it's interesting that there is a show on tv about hoarding and the outsiders complain of "all of this worthless junk" and also on tv there is a show about "pickers" who go into places people would consider to be junkyards and enthusiastically exclaim "wow, this place is a goldmine!".

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BeenieWeenie
I haven't seen piles of clothing and newspapers and all kinds of stuff piled to the ceiling of the homes that Pickers visit.

But I'm not a true fan. Maybe I missed those episodes.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: BeenieWeenie
I haven't seen piles of clothing and newspapers and all kinds of stuff piled to the ceiling of the homes that Pickers visit.

But I'm not a true fan. Maybe I missed those episodes.

I see what you're saying. I think both shows are showing extremes. Hoarders show the absolute worst. I think it's called "level 4" or something. I've been looking into getting someone to carry my junk to the dump and I think I saw one company say they didn't do "level 4" or something like that. With Pickers, we don't get to see (thankfully) the hours and hours of real junk they have to sift through. The locations are probably already scouted out way before filming. On a personal note, Hoarders has actually helped me. I could see someone on the show holding on to something because of personal, emotional attachment that was really worthless. I could hear some of their reasoning coming from my own mouth before. It has helped me to go through a lot of things and recognize that. I ended up throwing up a box full of love letters from high school along with my first pair of bicycle racing shoes (I'm 50 now). On the other hand, I do have some old italian bicycle parts that have turned vintage and are appreciating in value. They don't take up much room and I'm happy to sell them.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I did a thread on this 7 months ago
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Do you hoard end product or production equipment.

Do you hoard fertilizer, or food?

Have you ever taught a hungry man to fish, or just throw a Trout in his face?

Humans have became such small members wishing to create their own species. Clans wont survive. Tribes will.
edit on 5-2-2017 by ChelseaHubble because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
When the stuff you collect is visible in a non-decorative way, and you typically only have a small path through this debris to function, it's hoarding.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
When the stuff you collect is visible in a non-decorative way, and you typically only have a small path through this debris to function, it's hoarding.

Yes to the above... though even collecting in a way that is decorative and there is plenty of room can sometimes be hoarding . I think Jay Leno is a hoarder of old cars ... there are probably others who wouldn't mind just a few of those 😕.. but he can easily afford them and store and display them well.. so many would say he is a collector which is what he is.. but there is a line where collecting can seem to cross over into hoarding.
edit on 6-2-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Would these people be considered hoarders/criminals?

Some would consider them such, yes. That's why, I suppose, under the proper/wrong circumstance, I'd be very circumspect about sharing outside your group of family/friends.

Personally, I call 'em smart. I've yet to figure out how someone with more than a weeks worth of food in the house can be called a "hoarder", and thus, by some, considered a criminal.

Another thing I've wondered is what constitutes a hoard of something??

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Why?

Is there some line past which prepping becomes hoarding?? If so, what is it?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I think in this thread we have to differentiate between hoarding as in people having too much stuff in thier homes and don't throw anything away, and hoarding as in the criminally declared stockpiling of food, medicines, water and fuel in the case of a disaster.

When I started the thread a few months ago, there was very little information in the net. Perhaps in the States it's called something else, like stockpiling?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Caver78

Why?

Is there some line past which prepping becomes hoarding?? If so, what is it?

No particular line, I would think. More an accumulation of pathological indications, along the lines of OCD and addiction.

Interference with social and familial activities.
Interference with occupational activities.

That sort of thing. I would think.

edit on 2/7/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

'Bout what I figured.

One persons hording is another's fun day collecting.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Yes he does, although i believe he's selling most of them off now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join