It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Service Is Dealing With Over 12,000 Tweets Calling For Trump's Assassination

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

As Mashable points out, in the 12 days since Trump's inauguration, approximately 12,000 tweets have gone out calling for his assassination. And while the U.S. Secret Service can't possibly follow up on the threats of that many disaffected snowflakes, people who have a history of criminal activity and/or those who make several threats should probably expect a knock on their door.

" Former U.S. Secret Service special agent Tim Franklin, who is now a criminology and criminal justice professor of counterterrorism and cybercrimes at Arizona State University, said in a phone call Tuesday that "it’s the people who have a true and genuine intent to do harm that the Secret Service is worried about."

That's why one-off posts and people with no record of threatening messages tend to get passed over. He said the Secret Service is looking out for trends and consistent behavior, like the person who repeats their intent to kill the president over time. If someone has made threats in the past they are more likely to get investigated when they post another "Kill Trump"
post.

"They're not going to to beat down the door of everybody who makes a negative Twitter comment," Franklin said, which may be a relief to anyone who tweeted an off-hand and not entirely serious death wish for the new president.

But for users who use certain language and specific details about the president, his location and how the assassination will happen, the Secret Service will likely take notice."

And while Twitter and Facebook have explicit rules prohibiting "threats of violence", thousands of Trump threats seemingly slip through the crack every day.

www.zerohedge.com...

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Ah the tolerant left. Notice how Twitter "accidently" lets these tweets through. Bit don't make fun of the new Ghostbuster movie!

The worst part is its not just regular people calling for violence, even celebrities and media people are calling for violence or coups.

And keep in mind, this is the same people that will tell you they are all about love and how violence is always wrong.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
That's a 1000 tweets per day for 12 days.

Those precious little snowflakes aren't going to stop.

Notice the insitgation?

Someone.

Someone.

Someone.

Can't Trump critics EVER doing anything on their own or does SOMEONE always have to give it to them?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Just finished reading it on Drudge, pathetic.

edit on 3-2-2017 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Twitter should foot the bill not us taxpayers.

After all, Milo had to pay for the extra security for the Anti First Amendment rioters.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Good grief.

Unhinged.

What more can be said?

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

That Village magazine cover is unreal.

If that would have been done to Obama, the world would have demanded a retraction from that magazine.

But for Trump, it will be seen as a thought provoking interesting cover.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Poor Putin. He is feeling so left out nowadays....

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

So this problem creates two dilemmas. There is the issue of the people who have posted the tweets and then there is the issue how much responsibility twitter has to actively censor these tweets.

My question from the conspiracy theory angle is, if twitter spent more effort actually censoring these tweets, would that then prevent the secret service from identifying individuals that have called for Trump's assassination?

Perhaps twitter's lack of censorship is a blessing in disguise, so long as the secret service has the labor and logistical support to investigate each and very claim in order of priority.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

Perhaps twitter's lack of censorship is a blessing in disguise, so long as the secret service has the labor and logistical support to investigate each and very claim in order of priority.

Or Twitter could police their site and forward all of the tweets to the proper athorities.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Link please.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I despise Trump.

But i don't want him dead, just impeached and bankrupt.

The problem is that more than any other modern day president there are going to be a lot of calls for him to be assassinated, most of them just stupid flippant comments made by moronic teenagers looking for some attention; however that means with a increased volume of threats being made there is every chance that the real serious threat could be over looked. Its possible with all of this silly talk of I hope he is assassinated that there is going to be some lone nut with a gun who makes the exact same threat but slips through the net.
edit on 3-2-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I am all for free speech, but threatening to kill someone (let alone the Pres) is over the line. Twitter could delete the tweets, and then also info the secret service.

And I understand some comments will "fall through the cracks". But over 10,000?

And whats worse, they aare so active at censoring offensive right wing speech.

To me, its clear that much like many far left progressives, twitter feels that threats and offensive speech against conservatives is free speech, but against liberals is disgusting and must be shut down.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Track em down and charge them for terroristic threats.
Give em a taste of law and order.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I despise Trump.

But i don't want him dead, just impeached and bankrupt.

The problem is that more than any other modern day president there are going to be a lot of calls for him to be assassinated, most of them just stupid flippant comments made by moronic teenagers looking for some attention; however that means with a increased volume of threats being made there is every chance that the real serious threat could be over looked. Its possible with all of this silly talk of I hope he is assassinated that there is going to be some lone nut with a gun who makes the exact same threat but slips through the net.

Exactly.

And what will all of the mainstream people, the celebrities, media people, and academic people, and even just the regular people, that claimed Trump was so bad that violence was justified say if something happens to him?

They will squirm and say they didn't mean it, and violence is terrible, and they are sorry that it happened, but he brought it on himself.

I am more of a tolerant person than most I have ever met. But I got to admit, the hypocritical extreme left that is calling for violence is making me despise them.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
12000 tweets. I wonder how many are the same people doing multiple tweets? Or retweeting? I have no idea how it works, the twitter-verse, as I find it asinine, but multiple posts by the same person, or persons would seem to indicate that the problem isn't as vast as this might indicate.

Don't get me wrong, one is too many. ...and those magazine covers are repugnant in the extreme.

I just can't help but think this, as with so many other "issues" is being overblown. It's not a symptom solely of the left...the right does it, as well.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

That Village magazine cover is unreal.

If that would have been done to Obama, the world would have demanded a retraction from that magazine.

But for Trump, it will be seen as a thought provoking interesting cover.

what does that tells you about the world, what does that tell you about trump?

-----------------------

but if this double standard is glaring and undoubtedly will see repercussion from Trump.
edit on 3-2-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I think it's past no point of no return. The people have been so indoctrinated and brainwashed so deeply while Trump has been villified and demonized. I believe something could really happen to him because the left are not slowing down the narrative at all..

I'm not sure how any sane person can proudly call themself a liberal at this point without feeling disgust and shame in thier hearts..

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
"When they go low, we go high"

- Michael Obama

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I just can't help but think this, as with so many other "issues" is being overblown. It's not a symptom solely of the left...the right does it, as well.

Most of us righties didn't advocate for that because we didn't want Biden as president.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join