It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delusional Protesters and Their Delusional Protests

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: underwerks

...something about footwear of the appropriate size being donned goes here...

I'm fully insured, ...

Are you absolutely sure about that?

I'd take a closer look at all your policies paying special attention to the exclusion clauses; protip, look for the terms, "riot, strike, and/or civil strife."

You might not be as covered as you think you are. Just like all of these businesses and individuals who have had collateral damage visited upon them.

If that's the case, then so be it. The off chance something of mine might get destroyed in social unrest is no reason for me to support silencing other people's protest.

But then again, I've been handling firearms since I was a kid growing up in the country, so I defend my home against anything like that. As I would hope others would too.

There is the issue of the "heckler's veto". Do you believe an unruly mob should be able to silence someone's fundamental human rights?

No, not at all. But I have to question the motivations of anyone who allows their opinion to be silenced by heckling.

I think it is quite rational to self-censor one's own opinion in order to save his own skin or the skin of others. The true culprits, of course, are the ones threatening or coercing one to do so.

It may be rational, but it isn't honest.

Protesting is not honest. It is public relations.

Don't be obtuse

What else does protesting accomplish?

Oh please, non-violence protest and organizing has achieved positive results in history. For example, try the civil rights movement... Have you heard of that one?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

You can't expect people to bow to an administration that blatantly lies every week. Especially if they weren't fans of it in the first place.

I understand wanting to give Trump a chance, but he's not giving us a chance to give him a chance. Its one thing after another.

My advice to the Trump admin: stop making #### up. Then maybe some of us would take you seriously.

This administration is the most transparent administration in American history. You only know they lie because they are not in the business of public relations that you were used to.

That's quite a claim there. Especially only a few weeks in. Care to back that up?

We know the thoughts of the US president because he speaks his mind. He has put into works the very things he said he would during the campaign, give or take. The administration has received more scrutiny from media than any other, and it is only two weeks in.

That is not the same as transparency across the government (finance, policy, hiring practices, etc) as normally defined.

Secondly, again, two weeks in you simply cannot attempt to compare them to ANY other administration on the metric of transparency. And no expert on this topic would, yet.. I also am not claiming he ISN'T transparent, by the way.

You made a claim that he's the most transparent ever, which is an unsupportable claim at this point in time.
edit on 3-2-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Of course I see the concern, but the reasons those countries were chosen were made explicit in the executive order. Perhaps those reasons should be protested against. Rise up against the very tyranny forcing these people from their homelands. Protest the rape, murder, racism, and terrorism of the fanatics that force our countries to shut our doors.

Why don't you express your concerns over that?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I'm fully insured, ...

I'd take a closer look at all your policies paying special attention to the exclusion clauses; protip, look for the terms, "riot, strike, and/or civil strife."

You might not be as covered as you think you are. Just like all of these businesses and individuals who have had collateral damage visited upon them.

If that's the case, then so be it. The off chance something of mine might get destroyed in social unrest is no reason for me to support silencing other people's protest.

But then again, I've been handling firearms since I was a kid growing up in the country, so I defend my home against anything like that. As I would hope others would too.

There is the issue of the "heckler's veto". Do you believe an unruly mob should be able to silence someone's fundamental human rights?

No, not at all. But I have to question the motivations of anyone who allows their opinion to be silenced by heckling.

I think it is quite rational to self-censor one's own opinion in order to save his own skin or the skin of others. The true culprits, of course, are the ones threatening or coercing one to do so.

Don't be obtuse

Look at the history of the United States. What hasn't it accomplished given enough support? Civil disobedience is the American way, and I'm proud I'm not sent to Alaska because of what I think.

I was asking you what protests accomplish besides public relations.

As I said before, don't be obtuse

If it wasn't for protests and mass showing of support for the civil rights agenda it wouldn't have had the power it had. The 50's onward could have gone a completely different way.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Of course I see the concern, but the reasons those countries were chosen were made explicit in the executive order. Perhaps those reasons should be protested against. Rise up against the very tyranny forcing these people from their homelands. Protest the rape, murder, racism, and terrorism of the fanatics that force our countries to shut our doors.

So tell me, why not Pakistan, SA, etc?

Also, I agree that the roots need to be addressed. We need to stop trying to regime change or colonize those countries, such as Syria. That's what is not only creating the refugee situation but also encouraging anger and extremism against the US.

Seriously, only Sudan probably out of that list can be said to be creating this situation mostly by itself. All the rest have diabolical western interference. No conspiracy, just facts.

Finally, your primary logical fallacy is that I don't protest all of these things. Oh, i have, for years.

I literally just got in a huge fight with the same Sudanese friend, and a group of my liberal friends, for telling them they had to protest the Democrats too when Obama interfered with these countries, bombed them, etc.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

You can't expect people to bow to an administration that blatantly lies every week. Especially if they weren't fans of it in the first place.

I understand wanting to give Trump a chance, but he's not giving us a chance to give him a chance. Its one thing after another.

My advice to the Trump admin: stop making #### up. Then maybe some of us would take you seriously.

This administration is the most transparent administration in American history. You only know they lie because they are not in the business of public relations that you were used to.

That's quite a claim there. Especially only a few weeks in. Care to back that up?

We know the thoughts of the US president because he speaks his mind. He has put into works the very things he said he would during the campaign, give or take. The administration has received more scrutiny from media than any other, and it is only two weeks in.

That is not the same as transparency across the government (finance, policy, hiring practices, etc) as normally defined.

Secondly, again, two weeks in you simply cannot attempt to compare them to ANY other administration on the metric of transparency. And no expert on this topic would, yet.. I also am not claiming he ISN'T transparent, by the way.

Fair point. Admittedly I was being hyperbolic, but I think it is safe to say no other administration has met with this much scrutiny, nor under the same conditions under which so much information is available to the average citizen.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

You know, for a seemingly eloquent and intelligent person, you throw out not a few logical fallacies. You are better than that.

Also, I agree that the roots need to be addressed. We need to stop trying to regime change or colonize those countries, such as Syria. That's what is not only creating the refugee situation but also encouraging anger and extremism against the US.

Seriously, only Sudan probably out of that list can be said to be creating this situation mostly by itself. All the rest have diabolical western interference. No conspiracy, just facts.

Finally, your primary logical fallacy is that I don't protest all of these things. Oh, i have, for years.

I literally just got in a huge fight with the same Sudanese friend, and a group of my liberal friends, for telling them they had to protest the Democrats too when Obama interfered with these countries, bombed them, etc.

The list of countries was created by the last administration. These countries are specifically named "countries of concern" for reasons outlined by the past administration. As the information is gathered by the current administration, the list will be updated. The fallacy is yours.

I wasn't speaking about you personally—I don't know you—but you no less shared your concerns, and none of what you mentioned had anything to do with the cause of this executive order. The fallacy is yours.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

"DELUSIONAL" is far too kind. Gosh I can't wait until President Trump is settled-in enough to start "working with" law enforcement on being tougher on domestic RIOTERS.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

You know, for a seemingly eloquent and intelligent person, you throw out not a few logical fallacies. You are better than that.

The list of countries was created by the last administration. These countries are specifically named "countries of concern" for reasons outlined by the past administration. As the information is gathered by the current administration, the list will be updated. The fallacy is yours.

I wasn't speaking about you personally—I don't know you—but you no less shared your concerns, and none of what you mentioned had anything to do with the cause of this executive order. The fallacy is yours.

No, it is not mine. You claimed I don't express concerns about the roots of these problems, prior to the advent of Trump. That was an assumption that was unwarranted. I am not a partisan protester, but you are pointing out that many of the current protesters are. I agree.

As to the list of countries, we already know that those other three countries export terror. It's relatively common knowledge in the international sphere.

I don't buy people's claim it's because Trump has business interests there. But I do think that it shows the US has special interests in those countries, for example SA being a close ally and us having a secret base there.

BUT, to my friends from the targeted countries, such "conspiracies" become more than just intellectual exercises, do you see what I mean?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Fair point. Admittedly I was being hyperbolic, but I think it is safe to say no other administration has met with this much scrutiny, nor under the same conditions under which so much information is available to the average citizen.

Thanks. I am a liberal, but I can agree that there is a ton of hysteria by both your stereotypical democrat, and the media. Scrutiny as you call it.

Enough so that I can see there seems to be an agenda of some kind.

Also, to be clear. I do have some questions about what some of the protests are about and what their point is, excepting the travel thing.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I'm fully insured, ...

Don't be obtuse

Look at the history of the United States. What hasn't it accomplished given enough support? Civil disobedience is the American way, and I'm proud I'm not sent to Alaska because of what I think.

If it wasn't for protests and mass showing of support for the civil rights agenda it wouldn't have had the power it had. The 50's onward could have gone a completely different way.

So they let people know, through some display or other, a favourable image. Public relations.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Will fade into oblivion once they have burned through all the money that Soros, Ford Foundation et al. have reached their limits of funding...

The MSM is lapping it up, but the folks already realize these events for what they are... an outside funded effort to destabilize a civil society...

It won't work....

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I didn't claim anything. I asked a question. How am I supposed to know what you do or do not protest given the information you provided?

Of course those whom this executive order affects is a shame. But the US isn't the only option the world has to offer. A country has a right to defend its people from threats.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn

Will fade into oblivion once they have burned through all the money that Soros, Ford Foundation et al. have reached their limits of funding...

The MSM is lapping it up, but the folks already realize these events for what they are... an outside funded effort to destabilize a civil society...

It won't work....

Let's just say you are right, that a lot of this is secretly funded manipulation.

Do you really think that your average person is aware of any it? I'm sure some are.

Most people I know don't seem to be aware of much at all, such as the media, for example, is lying to them...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I'm fully insured, ...

Don't be obtuse

So they let people know, through some display or other, a favourable image. Public relations.

If you want to label it as that feel free. But that's just a shortcut to thinking. Raising awareness and showing solidarity could be classified as public relations, but that doesn't mean that's what it is.

It's not as simplified as you're trying to make it.
edit on 3-2-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

It's up to those, who have discovered, to share the knowledge....

It's not easy... but it can be done...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I didn't claim anything. I asked a question. How am I supposed to know what you do or do not protest given the information you provided?

Of course those whom this executive order affects is a shame. But the US isn't the only option the world has to offer. A country has a right to defend its people from threats.

I get that the country needs to defend itself.

I also get the conservative argument that refugees flooding Europe is not a good idea, en masse or without better checks. So, people don't want that to happen here. That's not crazy, although some people will say it is.

BUT, the Sudanese family in question has been here like 20 years. Parents are afraid to travel to see each other. These aren't Syrian refugees nor even newcomers.

Ah well, you know, most of us on either side are closer in view than we realize. It's the media and politicians that are dividing us.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn

It's up to those, who have discovered, to share the knowledge....

It's not easy... but it can be done...

True. Waking people up is one the most important labors, after waking ourselves up.

I feel like I might be able to wake up about one person per year, as in actually be a catalyst for them. There are many more people I'm sure all of us can convince of more micro points on a variety of topics.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Just because a few protesters got violent does not mean that the rest of the protesters are violent. Protesting is a civil right. It does make a difference. There have been numerous examples of Trump pulling back on some of his policies, for example, putting the climate data back on the EPA's website.

I don't agree with people who think Trump is not their President, however the people have the right to protest his policies, even if he did win. In the end, Clinton won the popular vote as well! And besides, the Democrats still get to play a role in making policy even if they are in the minority and don't have the Presidency.
edit on 03pmFri, 03 Feb 2017 23:55:20 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

The awakening... is key.. it's not left or right, it's that breakthrough to unleash YOUR OWN Thoughts... not repeat forcefed BS you hear, see, experience.. which is the easy way out...

We have a chance to unleash the next generation of thinkers....

I embrace the chance to encourage this... collectively a generation or two have fallen prey to a groupthink approach that has stripped our liberties....

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join