It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for a very long break.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I used to love coming to ATS. I first found this website in 2004 while searching for information about 9-11 cause something didn't feel right about it. It started out as a reference point. Kind of like "I found some interesting information on that one sight, maybe it will have information on this too". I'd visit maybe a handful of times over the next couple years.

As I grew older, my knowledge grew wiser. I realized more and more that there was far more to life then what I thought I knew, or what the news told me. By 2007 I was a fairly regular lurker here. I never created an account because the main contributors here provided some massively detailed information. I couldn't contribute like that. I didn't have the means to become that involved.

By 2010, ATS was a daily stop in my browsing history. I was into UFO's, false flags, government corruption, the invasion of the MSM, mind control, all of it...I loved it! I debated with myself to create an account and just go with it. Maybe I'd find my niche in the conspiracy world if I just got started with an account.

Without looking I believe it was either 2011, or 2012 when I finally did. But still, I never had the means to be a real contributor. I'm talking posts that would compare to a TED talk, or a professional presentation to a room full of peers. I remember point by point, organized, educated posts by people that clearly outlined their thoughts and backed it up with evidence. I couldn't contribute to this site like that. I didn't know any aliens, I didn't monitor earthquakes around the globe, I didn't have inside access to any company or government.

So I mostly just lurked in the shadows. I made a few posts over time, but nothing ground breaking. I've commented on others posts enough that maybe some of you recognize me.

Unfortunately, over the past year or so, it's become too much of the same. Everything in here is political. Great discussion can't be found. For the past couple months I have completely bypassed the home page and gone straight to the "new" posts. But even that is flooded with the same political garbage.

I get it, it's a reflection of the times. The MSM walls are collapsing. Social media spreads lies and opinions faster than the people who write them can think about what their saying. Everyone is opinionated and offended at the same time. Our society has to figure out who we're going to be in the future and both sides are digging in for a long fight.

The same seems to be true here. It's hard to find original content of something other than politics or trump. It's no longer a conspiracy site, it's a place where people go to press their political opinion, or be offended by the opposite. And all I'm trying to do is continue to learn new things, live my life, and be at peace.

I can't do that here anymore. The country is finally waking up. But there's a lot of catching up to do for those who've been asleep. I suppose once the dust settles and the mess is picked up, I'll come back regularly again, and maybe there will be one of those vintage Slayer Posts. Or maybe some good AMA's. Who knows...but until then, I'm moving away from social media and anywhere that this political carnage exists.

I wish you well ATS. I hope you find your way back to being what it used to be.

✌️

edit on 3-2-2017 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Well we could go back before the land of inter webs,,, how'd that be?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Maybe instead it would be time for your transmission from student to teacher.
Where do you stand in your truth searching?
Instead of complaining, put it out there, let it be tested by others opinions.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It would be nice if there was a way to filter out all the Trump stuff from the 'new posts' feed.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It sounds like you need a glass of fine scotch and a reminder that life is a silly thing that means little in the end. Enjoy the ride, because there is beauty even in chaos.

I myself know the tiresome repetition, I came for the conspiracies, stayed for the history, and was amused by the pathetic politics. After a member in the "Badselfeater" thread asked how we knew what the cuneiform writing said, I began writing out a page of notes on cuneiform, intending a thread. But I could not bring myself to post it awash in these political arguments. It would feel too much like casting pearls before swine, et al.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz
Are not your last three threads about Trump's administration...?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
ATS has evolved it is not a conspiracy site anymore it is a forum for discussion of the politics of the alt-right.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: SargonThrall

We don't deserve your pearls? Would be a waste? How humble...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SargonThrall

Please post! The "swine" will keep eating the garbage and leave the delectables for the rest of us

I tend to put a great deal of effort into my threads (I am fascinated by but not up to speed on the conspiracy news so I contribute elsewhere) and find that "quality" posts attract quality thinkers and discussion.

edit on 3-2-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
ATS is like the TV, some channels like CNN, MSNBC, The big 3 I pass. As with the repeated Trunp posts, I move on, not my favorite channel.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SargonThrall
a reply to: Painterz
Are not your last three threads about Trump's administration...?

Yes, but I wouldn't feel the need to think or post about it so much if I wasn't seeing so many outright lies paraded as 'truth' on a website with the catchphrase, 'deny ignorance'.

I'd be much happier visiting here and just seeing the weird historical/fortean type stuff.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple
Apologies, I felt in context it was apparent that I was referring to the political drones of the site. And why should I be humble? I won thirty four battles and united the world from the Upper to the Lower Sea, for Shamash's sake!

a reply to: zosimov
I will rewrite it into a less boring tract when I have time, then!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Breaks help, no doubt about that. I don't see the political side that has taken over ending any time soon unfortunately. I have some ideas to share as threads as they say be the change you want to see. Though, it's going to be tough getting past the political circus which leaks into about every non political thread as it is. Makes me wish P(Political)TS was still around.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
So agree. I am kinda in the same spot. I miss all the unusual news-I got caught up in all the political opinions and now am sick of it all.

I keep perusing the "new" threads for anything of real interest-sometimes I still get pulled into the politics-and I hate it-it's a disease.

I hope the really intelligent and unusual threads come back soon-I agree also that maybe the political threads should be grouped, put to the side and let new shining ideas ride through.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Are you looking in the right places? Don't seem like you are... If your going to the main page or live or top.... You're missing out on a TON of things you appear to not see! Go to NEW to see all the wide diverse minute to minute topics/threads started constantly.

Or go to the FORUMS page and click on everything BUT the topics you've mentioned... It appears as though you're judging an open front page or live or top-hot stories and missing 90% of the site containing all the topics you miss...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

While I agree that the site is overly flooded with politics, I want to point something out: You don't need to look at the homepage or even the "new" page. You can choose to save shortcuts to just the forums that you want to visit and click on them, disregarding all of the politics and everything else.

See, that's where I see the problem being in posts like yours (and other similar ones that I've seen)--instead of self-regulating what you click on and read, or employing the choice to ignore the political drama, you find it easier just to walk away from the site as a whole.

I don't understand that type of thinking, but I guess we all can make our own decisions. Just remember, my point is valid--just click on the "forums" link and look at only the ones you want to, instead of having to encounter all of the politics.

Good threads are still created every day that have nothing to do with politics.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I cherish all the namecalling, political baiting, hatred, resentments, fear and lothhing that ATS has become.

It makes me feel blessed that my personal situation is the direct antithesis of the mud pit of American politics.

Entertaining but SAD, really really, really sad, believe me. Glad I don't have kids to witness this BS.

edit on 3-2-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I concur. I have been a member here since 2006. I used to come here all the time. However, over the last three or four years, frankly, I only come here once every 3 to 6 months. I just don't see anything here that really grabs my interest here anymore.
Don't get me wrong, I am very political. However, my politics are likely to offend both Republicans and Democrats because frankly, I feel both parties are toxic and complicit in the destruction of this country. Neither side seems to take very kindly to that ideology, so I don't even bother.
edit on 3-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Soficrow does some excellent threads of the type you seek.

A MYSTERY - Why Did Bio-Supercomputing Go Dark?

Disruptive Change - Humans Need Not Apply.
edit on 3-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

The problem is that threads like that are the exemption, the norm is threads trashing anyone who has a different political stance. Those two threads look really good but they got about 5 pages of discussion and 30 flags, looks like a lot of work went into them. Last week I wrote a thread about trump and it took me less than five minutes to write but got 40 pages of discussion and almost 140 flats. I am part of the problem but I own it.
edit on 3-2-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join