It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Trump’s phone call, Australians worry about an old alliance

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: Raggedyman
that Trump won't honour

A man who does not honor a deal is no man, and has no honor.

No man ever got rich on his honor.

It costs a lot to one's soul to enrich yourself. [1 Timothy 6:10]

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: Shamrock6
That's a pretty asinine point of view to have.

You renegotiate, sure, but you dont simply drop it.
Most people with a bit of principles understand this...hell, even Trump understands this (hense why he didn't say he isn't gonna honor it).
I wonder why you dont understand it...

"Most people" who've ever had a real job understand that you honor what's feasible to honor, but you don't honor every last thing the guy before you did whether you agree with it or not.

I'm floored at how you can't understand how nothing would ever change if "most people" thought this way.
edit on 3-2-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

So what? Was that inscription sanctioned by an act of Congress? Are we as a nation now forever bound by it? Do the words even relate to the specific realities discussed in this thread?

The 911 memorial has an inscription too. You should read about it.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

1) We Americans don't give a rats ass whom Australians think we should have running our country.

2) We are tired of getting #ed every time our government signs a piece of paper.

3) Australians have become a bunch of pussies.

4) I'm trying to figure out something that your country has contributed to the world besides boomerangs and obnoxious chanting.

Aussie Aussie Aussie, yeah yeah, put a sock in it!

Good job Mr. President!
edit on 3-2-2017 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
This is not a one way deal.

This is an exchange.

Australia has agreed to exchange the equivalant amount of illegal immigrants seeking asylum in Australia and will be taking the same amount of Puerto Ricans the US is deporting for the same reasons.

Why doesn't the media report that part?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

We would have taken a terrible deal for pretty much no reason, poor Aussie PM gets butthurt, and the whole thing gets called off. So what? Seriously, they put in 2,000 troops to our 165,000 in Iraq. That's not even enough to clean the toilets. Let them deal with their stupid problem.

That 2K is a hell of as lot more than some of the welfare states we support in the ME that NEVER help America. So we give the deadbeats everything they want and the people that help Trump acts like an ass.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krusty the Klown

This is an exchange.

Australia has agreed to exchange the equivalant amount of illegal immigrants seeking asylum in Australia and will be taking the same amount of Puerto Ricans the US is deporting for the same reasons.

Because the media is getting afraid to call Trump out.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

This is an exchange.

Because the media is getting afraid to call Trump out.

You really believe that? Because it looks to me the media is still going balls out to blast him every chance they get.

That's why the articles about this phone call are all "US/Aussie alliance is in much danger, very terrible, much panic!"

That doesn't read like they're getting scared.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

This is an exchange.

OMG.

You do realize Puerto Rico is a territory of the US and everyone from there is a US citizen?

Also can you describe how it's an 'even' exchange to send Latin American immigrants kept in Costa Rica to Australia for immigrants kept outside of Australia, but who come from Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka, and other places that aren't exactly filled with people who like the US?

Hell, those immigrants didn't even try to come to the US. They chose a different destination. I'm sure some of them did so because they didn't want to come here.

edit on 3-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You're right, it shows they are not reporting what is actually happening, just their sensationalist version of events.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Yes, I understand that Puerto Rico is a part of the US and yet the US still wants to deport them.

I'm merely reporting facts, not expressing an opinion, and also these refugees do not necessarily come from the countries Trump banned two days ago, this has been many months in negotiation.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Krusty the Klown

Can you source the claim that they're from Puerto Rico? Because literally everything I've seen has referred to them as being from Central American countries, not Puerto Rico.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

a reply to: loam

Yes, I understand that Puerto Rico is a part of the US and yet the US still wants to deport them.

Show me a credible source where we are trying to deport Puerto Ricans????

They are US citizens. You say we want to send them to Australia???? lol

Puerto Rican citizenship

I'm merely reporting facts, not expressing an opinion, and also these refugees do not necessarily come from the countries Trump banned two days ago, this has been many months in negotiation.

Trump's predecessor, Barack Obama, agreed to consider taking in about 1,300 migrants -- most of them from Iran, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, and Sudan -- in exchange for Australia taking in Latin American refugees, officials said.

edit on 3-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

im still behind trump blocking refugees, have you heard the bad crap they been doing in other countrys? i dont think trump is trying to be mean to them, i think he is trying to make america safe. he is doing his job imo.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Wow, lots of little girls on here who don't know what honor is. Don't worry sweeties, the grown ups are talking now.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

This is an exchange.

Ok this is funny you do realize Puerto Ricans are born as US citizens. wow people just make things up Im pretty sure if Obama was deporting US citizens that would have been all over the news. Please in the future so you dont look like a fool fact check things.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

"Most people" who've ever had a real job understand that you honor what's feasible to honor, but you don't honor every last thing the guy before you did whether you agree with it or not.

Actually, if you ever RAN a business, you would know that honoring contractual obligations is necessary to not get bad reviews, lose customers, get into legal quagmires, and go bankrupt. Now, you can alter the arrangment if the previous guy screwed things up royally to a more amicable solution, but you dont simply drop everything the previous guy did simply because you dont like it...especially since like clockwork you will also be replaced and the next guy, etc.

Bad business.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: uncommitted

So what? Was that inscription sanctioned by an act of Congress? Are we as a nation now forever bound by it? Do the words even relate to the specific realities discussed in this thread?

The 911 memorial has an inscription too. You should read about it.

The response I gave to a previous poster was quite clear - couldn't really have been clearer. The US didn't start off with an attitude of only skimming the cream, rather one of.....

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest lost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Pretty powerful words aren't they? You should think twice before flushing away what made America what it is.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Key phrase: contractual obligation.

There's a big assed difference between being contractually obligated to do something, and doing something because the guy who's job you took told somebody he'd do it.

I'd think somebody who RAN a business would understand something as simple as contracts.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

a reply to: SaturnFX

Key phrase: contractual obligation.

There's a big assed difference between being contractually obligated to do something, and doing something because the guy who's job you took told somebody he'd do it.

I'd think somebody who RAN a business would understand something as simple as contracts.

Do you think this was some handshake agreement by Obama? everything is a contract the government does.
The president of the united states is a pretty official job..mountains of paperwork just to hold a beer summit

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join