It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Trump’s phone call, Australians worry about an old alliance

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

It surprised no one to hear that Mr Trump has a poor telephone manner. Australia, however, regards itself as America’s most reliable ally — the only country to fight beside the US in every major conflict of the 20th and 21st centuries.

What are Australians to make of the fact that Mr Trump had a warm hour-long call with Russian president Vladimir Putin — an opponent of the liberal order and an adversary of the US — but he treats our prime minister with disrespect? Even before this tiff, Mr Trump was unpopular with Australians. Lowy Institute polling last year showed that Australians favoured Hillary Clinton over Mr Trump by a ratio of 7 to 1. Almost half of Australian adults said that Australia should distance itself from the US if it elected a president like Mr Trump. Six out of ten Australians said they would be less likely to support military co-operation with the US if Mr Trump were elected. This latest brouhaha will not have improved Mr Trump’s Australian numbers.

After Trump’s phone call, Australians worry about an old alliance

President Donald Trump told Americans at a prayer breakfast Thursday not to worry about the "tough phone calls" he's having with world leaders.

"The world is in trouble, but we're gonna straighten it out," he said at the National Prayer Breakfast. "That's what I do. I fix things. We're gonna straighten it out."

He continued: "When you hear about the tough phone calls I'm having, don't worry about it. Just don't worry about it. They're tough. We have to be tough. It's time we're gonna be a little tough, folks. We're taken advantage of by every nation in the world, virtually. It's not gonna happen anymore."

TRUMP: 'When you hear about the tough phone calls I'm having, don't worry about it'

www.youtube.com...

I know Trump's word is plenty for Trump supporters, so I think this thread is for the rest of us.

The question I want to ask is if Trump sees the need to have "tough phone calls" with the closest allies of the United States, what will happen when he's talking to the enemies of the United States? It's not an exaggeration to say that things could spin out of control.

Here's another example of such a thing from just the last day or so.

U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted early on Friday that "Iran is playing with fire" and "they don't appreciate how kind President Obama was to them. Not me!"

Trump tweets 'Iran is playing with fire', says won't be as kind as Obama

Trump is actually attempting diplomacy by tweet over a situation that could turn into WW3.

I know it's all MAGA to Trump supporters, please move along.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 3-2-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
id rather see him walk softly and carry a big stick but this is Trump.....its his personality.....do you really think he's just going to suddenly have a profound personality change now that hes in office?

and you know....politics is all BS and most of us know it. Its filled with people in suits and ties who speak in refined, decorated language masking total hypocrisy in both character and policy.

Honestly its refreshing to know exactly where someone stands. No more BS, no more nice words to your face then underhanded dirty subversion behind your back. Trump would probably benefit from not being so blunt (and we might as well), however much of communication is more style than substance....now we appear to have a reversal where you have mostly substance and not much style. By that i mean i dont think most people will have much doubt about what Trump means (his substance) when he talks. There might be a benefit to that.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The Australian government are just having a sooky la la because they are not getting the deal they expected
The US wouldn't be taking the immigrants without some sort of recompense, some sort of deal through Obama that Trump won't honour
We don't know the deal, what we know is Trump won an election on the tightening immigration policy
Trump is tightening immigration policy, well done to him for doing what he promised
Right or wrong

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
maybe they should of voted Hillary, that way we can keep sending millions to Pakistan and Iran and getting ****ed in the arse by our "allies"

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
that Trump won't honour

A man who does not honor a deal is no man, and has no honor.

But Trump didn't say he wouldn't honor it. Even he, it seems, has limits to how much of a dirtball he is.

Trump didn't make the deal, the POTUS did, and he is now POTUS, therefore the deal must be honored. America pays its debts and honors its word. If a president doesn't, then nobody should ever work with the US again on anything..because that means America has no honor, doesn't honor its word, doesn't pay its debts.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I wonder what the disconnect is between PM Turnbull and "Australians" then.

“I can assure you the relationship is very strong,” Mr. Turnbull said. “The fact that we received the assurance that we did, the fact that it was confirmed, the very extensive engagement we have with the new administration underlines the closeness of the alliance.”

That doesn't sound like a man who's terribly concerned about losing one of his biggest and longest-standing allies, does it?

He admits that the conversation was "blunt" and "frank" but doesn't seem to be spouting the line that the alliance is in danger, as others would have us believe. Perhaps some of our resident Aussies can chime in and tell us whether they're worried or not, since there seems to be some wildly disparate reports coming out of the MSM.

Times article with quote

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
I know it's all MAGA to Trump supporters, please move along.

And it's all Armageddon with his opponents.

Please explain to me why this deal is in the US interest?

Essentially, Obama and Australia wanted to swap respective refugees half way around the globe. Theirs come from Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka, and other places. Our come mostly from countries in Latin America.

What is the benefit to us again?

edit on 3-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

that Trump won't honour

But Trump didn't say he wouldn't honor it. Even he, it seems, has limits to how much of a dirtball he is.

Trump didn't make the deal, the POTUS did, and he is now POTUS, therefore the deal must be honored. America pays its debts and honors its word. If a president doesn't, then nobody should ever work with the US again on anything..because that means America has no honor, doesn't honor its word, doesn't pay its debts.

That's a pretty asinine point of view to have. If that were remotely accurate, then nothing would change from one President to the next, because every President would be too busy trying to maintain whatever the guy before him did to ever do anything himself and we as a nation would still be paying "tributes" to the Barbary Pirates.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity if these immigrants are so wonderful why doesn't Australia keep them..
They have a whole continent after all...

-Chris

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Because they don't want them.

Australia has had an OUTRIGHT STRICTLY ENFORCED BAN of these illegal immigrants going back almost a decade, keeping them in offshore prison camps with conditions so deplorable, they've been condemned by nearly everyone for it.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Imo, Trump says don't worry about it because he knows its just talk.

Keep your eyes on the movement of money and arms.

Edit:

dsca.mil, major arms sales
edit on 3-2-2017 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

We would have taken a terrible deal for pretty much no reason, poor Aussie PM gets butthurt, and the whole thing gets called off. So what? Seriously, they put in 2,000 troops to our 165,000 in Iraq. That's not even enough to clean the toilets. Let them deal with their stupid problem.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Seriously stupid logic. When you start a new job, are you expected to keep the promises of the old guy? No. Obama didn't wanna pull the trigger on the Yemen raid, because he wanted Trump to have to deal with it. Seems like there might be more of that to come. what other unfinished crap did he leave laying around?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

My question was a rhetorical castigation of the Obama-helmed deal to accept these people...

America once held the belief that we, as the light of the world, could skim from only the cream of the world...

We took in men more along the lines of einstein, teslas, and Von Braun....less tsarnaevs and nadal hassans and more Von brauns I say....

If I were guessing, this lot of 1200 we are taking in, zero have anything to contribute to the fabric or the United States....we are all good on zealots and illiterate people who can't speak English thank you very much...

Let's just say I'm not going to show up in china demanding my kids be taught in English and her healthcare covered for life...
Nope, we would learn mandarin and go from there...

-Chris

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

that Trump won't honour

Where do you get this stuff?!

lol

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
That's a pretty asinine point of view to have.

You renegotiate, sure, but you dont simply drop it.
Most people with a bit of principles understand this...hell, even Trump understands this (hense why he didn't say he isn't gonna honor it).
I wonder why you dont understand it...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Where do you get this stuff?!

what..principles?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bender151
a reply to: SaturnFX

Seriously stupid logic. When you start a new job, are you expected to keep the promises of the old guy? No. Obama didn't wanna pull the trigger on the Yemen raid, because he wanted Trump to have to deal with it. Seems like there might be more of that to come. what other unfinished crap did he leave laying around?

Let me ask you a question
Why didn't Trump, from day 1, simply make an executive order to cancel social security? Tell every american thats been paying into it too bad, its a bad deal for the country, the deal is gone?

He could, right? and SS is a bit rocky to deal with..so, why then doesn't he do it?
You gotta maintain the integrity of the office and of the government. renegotiate, draw down, etc..but your not supposed to just walk in and end things unless there is some extreme cases going on.
I think the logic is pretty straightforward.

Once again, who would work with a country that doesn't honor their deals?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
a reply to: loam

My question was a rhetorical castigation of the Obama-helmed deal to accept these people...

America once held the belief that we, as the light of the world, could skim from only the cream of the world...

We took in men more along the lines of einstein, teslas, and Von Braun....less tsarnaevs and nadal hassans and more Von brauns I say....

If I were guessing, this lot of 1200 we are taking in, zero have anything to contribute to the fabric or the United States....we are all good on zealots and illiterate people who can't speak English thank you very much...

Let's just say I'm not going to show up in china demanding my kids be taught in English and her healthcare covered for life...
Nope, we would learn mandarin and go from there...

-Chris

You might want to read the inscription that is on the plinth of the statue of Liberty - it's the reverse of what you seem to think the American immigration policy was designed for.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Once again, who would work with a country that doesn't honor their deals?

Hmmm.... Seems like the US has been working with countries who don't honor their deals for most of the last 100 years.

I guess we are just uniquely stupid.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join