It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump tells Israel to stop building new settlements

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   

The Trump administration has told Israel to stop constructing new settlements - or expanding others - because it "may not help" achieve peace with Palestinians.

President Donald Trump has offered his firm support to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on a number of occasions, signalling he could be more amenable towards the process of settlement building than his predecessor Barack Obama, who repeatedly condemned their construction. Mr Trump has also characterised Mr Obama actions towards Israel as weak and accusing him of treating the country with "disdain."

Anyone remember the following?

The Republican frontrunner, Donald Trump, said on on Wednesday that US President Barack Obama was the "worst thing that's ever happened to Israel," slamming the nuclear deal signed with Iran and vowing that he would stand with Israel "100 percent" when he becomes president.

Trump says he will stand '100% with Israel'

Trump reportedly promised to stand with Israel 100%. Has he already broken the promise?

This is serious stuff. If Trump's word can't be trusted, he could do permanent damage to the credibility of the U.S. government.

Trump can't blame this on Obama. Does he stand with Israel 100% or not?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   
This vid almost deserves a thread of it's own.

But... BREAKING NEWS! Putin is deeply depressed and doctors are very worried for his health

Seriously though, Mr Trump we're all getting confused now.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

No, they said stop making settlement "announcements".

I see it as they don't care if they make more settlements, they just don't want Israel to make announcements about it.

"With that in mind, we urge all parties to refrain from taking unilateral actions that could undermine our ability to make progress, including settlement announcements,” the official added. “The administration needs to have the chance to fully consult with all parties on the way forward.”

JPost

Personally I don't support our one sided relationship with Israel. I think they are more than capable of taking care of their own business. We don't need to be sending them our tax dollars.

I think a 2 State solution is the best way forward, and everyone will just have to learn how to get along with their neighbors.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I don't see a problem. He gave a good advice to Israel. It doesn't mean he is against them.

A good friend will tell you the truth even if that could upset you.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I don't see a problem. He gave a good advice to Israel. It doesn't mean he is against them.

Wonder if Bibi will see it that way or will he stomp of into the garden to eat worms.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Trueman

Wonder if Bibi will see it that way or will he stomp of into the garden to eat worms.

Haha..... Well, that's another story. Real friendship test.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

He stands with Israel as long as they don't violate international law, which those settlements do.

He's telling Israel to stop violating international law and they will continue to have 100% US support.

Man, you are really a sensationalist.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Trump supporters see nothing wrong with something Trump has done???

I am shocked. Just shocked.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

The Trump administration has told Israel to stop constructing new settlements - or expanding others - because it "may not help" achieve peace with Palestinians.

President Donald Trump has offered his firm support to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on a number of occasions, signalling he could be more amenable towards the process of settlement building than his predecessor Barack Obama, who repeatedly condemned their construction. Mr Trump has also characterised Mr Obama actions towards Israel as weak and accusing him of treating the country with "disdain."

Anyone remember the following?

The Republican frontrunner, Donald Trump, said on on Wednesday that US President Barack Obama was the "worst thing that's ever happened to Israel," slamming the nuclear deal signed with Iran and vowing that he would stand with Israel "100 percent" when he becomes president.

Trump says he will stand '100% with Israel'

Trump reportedly promised to stand with Israel 100%. Has he already broken the promise?

This is serious stuff. If Trump's word can't be trusted, he could do permanent damage to the credibility of the U.S. government.

Trump can't blame this on Obama. Does he stand with Israel 100% or not?

Wow, really?? So are you saying that we could trust any of the other presidents you have had over there? Cause thats not how i see things, and i really dont think i know anybody who think any of them have been honest people.. usally they say something to get elected, and then does the exact opposite when in office.. what have changed??

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Wait a second. He's already made moves against the terms of previously agreed upon deals and treaties like NAFTA, China's "One China" policy, and the Iran nuclear deal. But only this one may ruin the credibility of our government?

Though they really need to stop with the illegal settlements. The last time I'd checked, there were more than half a million Israeli citizens living on illegal settlements in Palestinian lands. There's no way there will ever be peace there as long as the Israeli govt keeps taking Palestinian land, demolishing Palestinian homes & settlements on that land, and then building new Israeli settlements on that land.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The Whitehouse said that they felt the settlements make it more difficult to negotiate a deal, but that they had not yet taken an official position on the settlements themselves.

It's so difficult to get to the truth with all the hysteria and propaganda.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
con·jec·ture

1. Form an opinion or supposition about (something) on the basis of incomplete information.

Buck

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Trump is a bad goy "bad goy bad". Lol good who the hell does he think owns all the newspapers and news channels that attack him? Hint it rymes with misrael. What ethnicity is soros? If he takes that last red pill and tells isreal to btfo he will be the greatest president ever.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Understand I'm not attacking you.

You are part of the biggest problem on ATS. You read your own thoughts and prejudices into a report and create an OP with false narrative. The entire thread is ruined before it starts.

Trump told Israel they should "stop announcing new settlements".

Do you understand how big a difference that is. Ponder the reasons and hopefully you will understand the wisdom.

Good job Mr. President!
edit on 3-2-2017 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: KEACHI

Understand I'm not attacking you.

You are part of the biggest problem on ATS. You read your own thoughts and prejudices into a report and create an OP with false narrative. The entire thread is ruined before it starts.

Trump told Israel they should "stop announcing new settlements".

Do you understand how big a difference that is. Ponder the reasons and hopefully you will understand the wisdom.

Good job Mr. President!

The way that I read/interpret this is that Trump has the serious intention of brokering a two-state settlement during his term as President. In order for this to have any chance...many before him have failed...both Israel and the Palestinians should refrain from doing things that are known "irritants" to progress.

Announcing more settlements would be an example of such an irritant created by the Israeli side. If the Palestinians started firing rockets into Israel, heading into negotiations, I am sure Trump would ask them to cool their jets too.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Edit: After morning coffee...

As already brought up we told them to stop announcing the settlements. At the same time though we also stressed how expansion isn't conductive towards peace and that our stance hasn't changed in a long time. That stance is the end of expansion and the agreement to the long proposed two-state solution.

I believe Israel will not stop expanding. They haven't when told to stop in the past, why would they now?

The Jpost source provided by watchitburn mentions:

In his first week in office, Israel announced it would authorize 2,500 settlement housing units in the West Bank. Days later, it proceeded with an additional 3,000 units.

If they're going to be dishonest with us from day one of a new presidency then we should not support them 100%.
edit on 3-2-2017 by Noncents because: Post-Coffee Adjustment

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
In the meantime, some important EOs happened today.

new topics

top topics

join