It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking did this to me....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:19 AM
link   
WARNING, A LITTLE GRAPHIC with a little blood...

I had a lump in my neck for a while, and suddenly it doubled in size and began hurting, I put it off as long as I could but then couldn't take it or ignore it anymore. I assumed the worst but after a biopsy was found to be a non cancerous tumor, that will keep growing and must be removed with risks. But NOT cancer. Last night I had it removed finally, and I'm damned lucky it all went well, and I'll be going home soon.

Here's what it looked like after surgery...

As if I needed any more motive to quit smoking, of course now I will quit, and hopefully others will too.

Tumor was a warthins tumor. And while other things could have caused it, my doctor made a clear case how my many years of smoking most likely caused this, virtually a certainty. I am unlucky and incredibly lucky at the same time here. This can happen to anyone.

The tumor taken out, was huge and growing fast.

I'm going to be in pain for a while, I have been for weeks, at least now it will begin to get better.

If you're a smoker like me, consider quitting with me now, or as soon as possible, if not a smoker, please don't ever start.
edit on 3-2-2017 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

you have a growth in your neck. But where is the proof that smoking caused it? Oh i know, some doctor told you "if only you hadn't smoked" with a grave voice.

So what causes growths in non-smokers?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

All I can tell you is that in my case it is the most likely cause. If you think you're immune to the risks of smoking, or tobacco use, or have decided the risks are acceptable nothing I say here now would convince you of anything.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Best wishes for your recovery ausername and giving up smoking , options are available to make the process easier should you choose to use them.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Very happy for you that it is not cancer.

I quit smoking last september using an E-cig which has helped A LOT, i first tried a cheap E-cig but it was useless so i bought a good one at around £50, i still struggle some days and actually lit a cig up just yesterday because i was struggling so much but it tasted horrible and killed it after 2 goes at it.

Good luck with your recovery and your quitting the evil cigs

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I too was warned,problem is I'm recovering from surgery,get bored and seem to smoke even more,and Dr worried about adrenal gland,real hard since some parts are inoperable so I'm avoiding opiates as well so in great pain it's a tough one,hope I win the battle,thank you for the reminder

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
You did this to you. Don't pass the blame.

Period.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Ummm...Glad to see you came through the surgery alright...I'm also happy to hear your giving up on the smoking...

I know it's a huge life change...but the rewards are significant...

Be well my friend...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Talking about smoking makes me want to smoke... whatever the subject matter..

The fact is you see those graphic images on packets and think nothing of it.. or that won't be me.. well guess what...

Hopefully you make a full recovery. .

edit on 3/2/17 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Many blessings ausername, 1 appreciates the courage & compassion you have taken to share for those of us suffering the experience...

NAMASTE*******
edit on 2/3/17 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

you have a growth in your neck. But where is the proof that smoking caused it? Oh i know, some doctor told you "if only you hadn't smoked" with a grave voice.

So what causes growths in non-smokers?

It is amazing to me that people in 2017 still question if smoking is harmful.

Then again their are people who believe the Earth is flat so maybe it's not as amazing...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Amazing - lots to say, mouth flapping in the wind but no answer to my question.

So why do non-smokers get growths in their necks and oral-phangeal cancers?

What proof is there that smoking CAUSED this particular growth?

Here you go - 25 pictures of neck growths (benign and non-malignant) all growing on the necks of healthy, clean living non-smokers (some of them quite young as well

reference.medscape.com...=4

Go ahead - keep flapping your lips....but answer the questions

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
While the tobacco nazis love to attribute EVERYthing to smoking these days, there are a great many things that help cancer to form. Our air, food, water quality due to pollution, chemicals, radiation are filled with causes for cancer. LINK There's 0 evidence to support that secondhand smoke causes cancer. LINK2 I could go on and on, but most people just want to believe it's this awful bad thing that killed their grandma so badly that it doesn't matter.

@ausername: I'm sorry you're going through this issue. It looks beyond painful! While smoking may or may have not been directly involved, we need to start thinking twice about just accepting everything our doctors say when it comes to this topic. There's a great deal of big pharma and political lobbyists that either make a lot of revenue off the anti-smoking crusade or really want to just blame it all on smoking, so they quite literally do.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

I'm betting you're a smoker.. If not... I stand corrected

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Get well soon.

I know three people that recently were diagnosed with benign tumors and none of them smoke.

To only attribute smoking alone as the cause seems foolish. Everything you put into your body is a factor. Exercise? Fasting? Filtered water? Organic fruits, Veggies, meats? Organic shampoo and soap? Just look at the chemicals in toothpaste. Make healthy choices even if it costs a bit extra.

"Smoking does not cause lung cancer. It is only one of many risk factors for lung cancer"
www.journaloftheoretics.com...

E-cigs are harmful as well. I would not consider that a healthy option.

Refined sugar or corn syrup can cause lung cancer in non-smokers
www.newsmax.com...

Best wishes

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

And of what relevance does whether I smoke or not have.....I asked two questions. Can you answer them

OP - I echo the words of gottaknow. whether you want to quit smoking or not is irrelevant to me. What is important is that your doctor has convinced you to take all responsibility for your disease. He has made you feel guilty, dirty and foolish.

Why should you be treated so poorly? What does your doctor tell non-smokers who have Wartherin's Tumour? Does he pat their hands and look soulfully into their eyes while telling them that such things happen and it is not their fault.

You deserve the same empathetic bedside manner. You deserve sympathy and understanding for your pain. You deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

It is quite clear that smoking does not CAUSE Wartherin's Tumor. This is known because it also happens to non-smokers.

I wish you well in your goal to stop smoking but even more than than I wish you to feel the way other people do when they get sick. I wish that you feel supported and loved. I wish that you feel that you DID NOT deserve this disease or your pain anymore than any other human being does. Wartherin's Tumor is NOT God's punishment on smokers. It is not a disease of "morality" inflicted on you because of your sin in being a smoker.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Amazing - lots to say, mouth flapping in the wind but no answer to my question.

So why do non-smokers get growths in their necks and oral-phangeal cancers?

What proof is there that smoking CAUSED this particular growth?

Here you go - 25 pictures of neck growths (benign and non-malignant) all growing on the necks of healthy, clean living non-smokers (some of them quite young as well

reference.medscape.com...=4

Go ahead - keep flapping your lips....but answer the questions

Because one doesnt have anything to do with the other.

I can get wet getting in the shower ( choice I made)
I can get wet while walking down the street and somebody drove through a puddle which splashed me (not a choice I made)
In the end im still wet..

People that choose to ignore the horrible things that smoking does to the human body like increase their chances of getting a disease like cancer but that doesnt mean that people who dont smoke are immune from cancer. I dont know of a single clinician anywhere that says "Only smokers get cancer" . I do however know plenty of clinicians that say "if you smoke you increase your chances of cancer"

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

So what is a definition of the term "smoker" in your mind?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

So what is a definition of the term "smoker" in your mind?

A smoker to me is someone that smokes cigarettes or cigars. I realize that their are holistic approaches to smoking that limit the damage being done but those people are the exception and not the rule.

Being honest I do not know enough about e-cigs or the vape setups that are out there to make any sort of informed statement on them.

Not that it matters but I am also not passing judgement on anyone that smokes because people make choices that work for them on a personal level.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

No - not good enough of an answer.

What does the term "smoker" mean to you?

Is it someone who stole cigarettes from their mom and dad and smoked them behind the shed. He felt so guilty that he quit smoking soon there after.....He is now 80 and has never touched another cigarrette since he was 14.

Does this fit the definition of a smoker.

Is it the college student who didn't smoke until the first examine period. He felt stress out and smoking seemed to help. He was 18 but quit soon after college. He is now 72 and hasn't smoked since he was 22.

Does this fit the definition of a smoker?

Is it the woman who started smoking at 15 but quit when she got pregnant at 19. She is now 68 but hasn't smoked since she was 19.

How about the guy that never smoked more than once a week while socializing?

Does this fit the definition of a smoker?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join