It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uber CEO Travis Kalanick quits Trump's economic advisory council

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Less than two months after joining Trump's economic advisory council, Uber CEO resigns.

Uber CEO Travis Kalanick quits Trump's economic advisory council
ast Updated Feb 2, 2017 10:42 PM EST

Uber co-founder and CEO Travis Kalanick has resigned from President Donald Trump’s economic advisory council in the wake of blistering criticism on social media of his participation on the White House panel of top business executives.

Kalanick informed Uber’s employees of his decision in a memo published Thursday.

“Earlier today I spoke briefly with the President about the immigration executive order and its issues for our community. I also let him know that I would not be able to participate on his economic council,” Kalanick’s memo stated.

source

Readers here will remember the flap over the JFK airport incident

Uber came under fire last Saturday when it quit offering surge pricing after members of the Taxi Worker’s Alliance joined protests at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport over Mr. Trump’s executive order restricting immigration from seven majority-Muslim countries that the administration cited as national security concerns. Complaints soon flooded Twitter (TWTR), accusing San Francisco-based Uber of profiting off protesting cab drivers by cutting prices, a charge that Uber denied.

There were a lot of hard feelings over his move, and a number of people posted videos showing themselves deleting the app.

The memo sent Thursday reaffirmed that he opposes Trump's controversial executive order. It's common to find immigrants driving taxis nowadays - I haven't taken any Uber rides so I don't know anything about who their drivers are (the one that I did see was Caucasian and older... but a sample of one means nothing.) Only time will tell how wise this current move of his is.

these quotes are directly from the memo he sent out
Inside Out - The implicit assumption that Uber (or I) was somehow endorsing the Administration’s agenda has created a perception-reality gap between who people think we are, and who we actually are.

Just Change - We must believe that the actions we take ultimately move the ball forward. There are many ways we will continue to advocate for just change on immigration but staying on the council was going to get in the way of that. The executive order is hurting many people in communities all across America. Families are being separated, people are stranded overseas and there’s a growing fear the U.S. is no longer a place that welcomes immigrants.

Kalanick's position wasn't one that he took quickly, as the British paper, the Guardian, reports. As of last Friday he apparently intended to go to Washington and talk to Trump and express his opinion that the Immigration Executive Order was not well considered. His tone grew stronger over the week, and today he resigned.

Elon Musk and others are apparently still in, though Musk also intends to give Trump a piece of his mind over the Executive Order.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Considering User's primary clientele, I suspect he's figuring negative tweets from Trump, commenting on this move will equal good PR and free advertising for his business.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   
He has now lost the (majority of) trump supporters as well as the (majority of) non trump supporters.
My opinion only.
Hopefully the business can survive.

As per Uber drivers, those that I have interacted with (never used the service myself), are typically Americans of all gender and ethnicity, looking to make some extra money away from their normal employment.
Not having used the service, I cannot say who or how many get their sole income this way.

edit on 3-2-2017 by randomtangentsrme because: formating

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Travis Kalanick is a horrible CEO when it comes to empathy for employees. Because he feels that UBER drivers don't deserve to be tipped, he has directed that UBER Drivers not accept TIPS and that UBER Passengers not TIP their driver. The "tipping" function removed from the ride-hailing mobile/PC application, in fact.

I'm so glad that turd Travis has distanced himself from President Trump. This one move in itself makes America greater!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Isn't this the same guy on a campaign to make all taxi drivers unemployed? I hear he's a pretty nasty guy in general. Shouldn't have been given the job in the first place imo.

So glad this guy and his business had to leave China.
edit on -060002am2kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Not going to lose me as a customer...

The man had the courage of his convictions and principles enough to step out of a position for a president who in his own way made history.

He chose to do what he thought was right despite how his position could have helped his business or allowed him access to information to change dynamics in that field

I find that highly respectable

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

He replaced the tipping with "rate" which ends up being more traffic for the people with good ratings

Same reason businesses get more traffic because of their ratings

Just though I would explain

Also you can still tip them I do all the time

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Isn't this the same guy on a campaign to make all taxi drivers unemployed? I hear he's a pretty nasty guy in general. Shouldn't have been given the job in the first place imo.

I don't get it with Uber, Taxi drivers had to buy licenses. Expensive licenses in many places. How come Uber drivers don't have to abide by these same rules, they are providing the same service.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

That was a good move. Some were quick on that boycott Uber thing. My housemate was talking about it and I said 'well, someone has to get the protesters to the airport if they can't take a bus, give it a bit'. They decided well.

Way to go Uber! I live in a city where the taxi lobby has fought Uber and Lyft tooth and nail. There are 3 taxi companies, but one has a monopoly. It's crazy. The city council has it on the table again to allow them back, they were both here for a few months.

I can't wait for them to return. The main taxi company overcharges, has NO way to rate them, the drivers often complain if you are paying with a card and not cash. Lots of shady drivers.

I would like one with a rating system.

I take a lot of cabs and the service can be just horrendous. To the point where on the way they say their credit card machine is broken. 1)n They are lying, 2) That is against NY state law -- and they try to convince me to go to an ATM.

I need more choices.

edit on 3-2-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

originally posted by: Ohanka

I don't get it with Uber, Taxi drivers had to buy licenses. Expensive licenses in many places. How come Uber drivers don't have to abide by these same rules, they are providing the same service.

At least where I live, a lot of the drivers with licenses suck. I don't care if they have an expensive license or not, I want to get where I am going, on time, with the payment method I choose. I don't ask for more. The taxi monopoly here thinks they don't have to provide that.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   
well, it takes courage, integrity, honor etc to make America great again I guess he didn`t have what it takes, but he shouldn`t feel bad America can be great again even with spineless self serving dingleberries clinging to our anus.
edit on 3-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
well, it takes courage, integrity, honor etc to make America great again I guess he didn`t have what it takes, but he shouldn`t feel bad America can be great again even with spineless self serving dingleberries clinging to our anus.

I feel it takes all of those things to stand up for what you believe in and step down from a position like that, regardless of the repercussions that might ensue...

Just because you don't agree with his reason for doing it doesn't lessen that, or mean he doesn't love America. Obviously he does and thought he could make a difference or he would have never taken the position.

I find it telling that no one had a bad thing to say about him until he stepped down, now he's anti-American

Careful w your labels

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra
Yes a lot of taxi drivers try to force you to pay cash so they can take a higher cut, and many over charge. When I lived in Nashville they were so use to taking tourists that they would try and take the longest route to get me where I was going , or drive in circles before trying to drop me off....

I got to where I refused to go w them unless they took my directions or used MY gps directions

W uber(as you know). Your route is quoted before they even pick you up so you can choose who you ride w.

Point to mention, a usual cab ride from the airport to my hide w a taxi is around 50 bucks, w uber it's 20

I would think my fellow conservatives would be in full support of free market , job creation and capitalism in its purer form

This guy saw a need and filled it, did a better job at a better price.

But now that he's stepped down , suddenly he's a horrible person whose company is terrible and he should be boycotted

That's a rather juvenile , and nonsensical reaction to a man who built a business that hires hundreds of thousands of people nation wide , built on a system that is a shining example of American capitalism

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: reldra
I would think my fellow conservatives would be in full support of free market , job creation and capitalism in its purer form

Very true!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I was pretty happy to hear this. Being an Uber driver, and loathing Trump like I do, it was really disheartening to hear that he was joining his team. I actually stopped driving and got another job right away. Now considering his stepping down (and that my new job really sucks), I just might start putting around for them again.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Typical liberal thinking,drivers work for him,so all tips go to the big corporation,what happened to being fair,Lyft drivers seem to be able to recieve tips,and he probably quit because he saw handwriting on the wall,I'm hoping Trump makes it so small buisnesses come back,strengthen the economy here,not China,face it people the corporations are running the world,hopefully Trump can stop them

new topics

top topics

join