It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milo Y. Starts Scholarship Exclusively for White Men

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: JinMI

Or: Milo Makes Another Desperate Grab for Publicity

I saw this last night I think and chuckled.

Exactly what i thought......probably upset that Trump is getting more publicity these days

CX.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

There are certainly some aspects of political trolling at work here but maybe he is providing a chance for school for someone who otherwise would not have that opportunity. There are thousands of minority only scholarships whether they be for African-Americans or just for woman, Hispanics, or Somalis's.....I wish if there was only one place that we could have race or gender not make a difference that it was in the education of our children.
edit on 2/3/2017 by DJMSN because: correction

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

At Berkeley, lots of people were arrested. Mainly the unknowns in black masks. There was a fire in the middle of the square, which is made of brick. It was put out. Berkeley is used to protests. I think window glass is definitely in their insurance plan.

Now that bothers me.

A University is a place of higher learning. It is where those who wish to learn go to learn from the best. I know some are considered 'party schools,' but that seems antithetical to the very reason a University exists.

Protests by their very nature are disruptive. That's the whole reason to protest: to force others to listen, be it by numbers, disruption of daily routine, or by violence. It is not possible to learn while confronting protesters; that is akin to trying to play the Super Bowl in a mall at rush hour. So the fact that Berkeley is actually designed around protests makes me think Berkeley is not an actual University, but a social experimentation zone. It should have it's accreditation revoked for that sole reason.

On that side subject, I also have to point out that in order to advance learning, all perspectives, even unpopular ones, must be tolerated as long as they are submitted properly. Berkeley charged the students who arranged for Milo's speech (properly) for security costs, not those who protested (improperly). That is a blatant attempt to quell a peaceable ideal, using condonation of violence. Worse, it is institutional. I have precious little respect for Berkeley right now, and would consider a degree from Berkeley as useless in itself.

And yes, I felt the same way about the Vietnam riots, the hippie movements, all of them. Long-haired hippies, get off my lawn!

Racism is by definition treating an individual differently from another based solely or majorly on his/her race. Milo's scholarship is racist. So are the majority of scholarships today that have racial requirements. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, so I see no problem with it. I might even apply.

Milo is certainly looking for attention. So are the other scholarship providers. Everyone gets advertising and public goodwill from offering a scholarship. Again, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If college were free, it would increase supply for certain labor pools, but not to the extent some seem to think. Not everyone can be an engineer; not everyone can be a physicist; not everyone can be a doctor. There is more to getting a degree than sitting at a desk doing assignments. In public school, this seems to be acceptable, but college is (should) be different. One must prove themselves worthy of the honors conferred by a degree through proof of ability to handle the requirements of the profession. Simply showing up and trying is not enough.

I support free college, up to and including doctorate level, for those who demonstrate both a willingness and an ability to succeed in such a program. Not for everyone. Bernie had the right idea, just not the right implementation. There must be a sacrifice for a reward, but that sacrifice need not be monetary. Especially in college, the sacrifice should be (and is) hard, successful work towards improving oneself.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I couldn't find a definition of "white man" on that site.

How much white is necessary to be considered for the scholarship?

Obama is part white, would he qualify?

I think there used to be a standard long ago, something like 1 part in 32 of another race made one classify as non-white.

But, I don't know the formula today. So, for example, if a man was 1/64 ths black and 63/64 ths white, he'd be considered white enough long ago.

Today everybody is mix up, even if they look white, you never know.

Is there some kind of genetic test, and perhaps white certification, one has to pass to show the scholarship committee?

What about a gay white male. Does he qualify? If he keeps his queer status secret, and remains in the closet, can he get the scholarchip? Or, do they have a queer test?

In Iran they have a queer test for homosexuals. A doctor does an examination to check if they have gay sex, etc, would that type of test be required here too?

Lot's of things remain unsaid on that site.

It's all vague to me.

Or, is it as simple as "You're white if you believe yourself to be."

i.e. if you self-identify as white, you qualify, even if others re-classify you.

edit on 3-2-2017 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Good for Milo.

Those who have a problem with this are enemies of equality and are on the wrong side of history.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
who cares.
free education is not a bad thing.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH
I couldn't find a definition of "white man" on that site.

How much white is necessary to be considered for the scholarship?

Do you ask these questions in regards to all the other race based scholarships? Also, what is this new tactic where non-whites tell white people they aren't really white?
edit on 3-2-2017 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I worked and went to college at the same time. I took no loans but paid for everything in cash. That meant if I wanted to take 4 classes one semester, but could afford just 3, too bad so sad for me, I signed up for just 3.

I was constantly on the look out for any grants or scholarships which I might be able to get. I was on the Dean's List every semester so my grades were good. I would qualify for white, Native American, female, and anything directly related to my degree plans. But there was never anything, because I was white.

People with lesser grades than me, people who didn't come to class, people who dropped classes repeatedly... they were able to get this free money towards school while I stood there doing everything right and didn't get anything. It never felt right or fair - that these things were granted on RACE instead of MERIT.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

a reply to: seeker1963

I have seen violent Trump supporters. But you will not acknowledge that even exists.

On both sides, I would think most are peaceful protests (but the Trump side has the neo nazi people as fans, so the balance gets a tiny bit unbalanced), but for the sake of argument, both sides are passionate.

I can find a crazy youtube video for a trump supporter for every crazy liberal one you find.

Then where do we go?

Show me one example of thousands of conservatives protesting to get a liberal speaker kicked off of campus.

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

a reply to: seeker1963

Especially for protests at universities, the Dean, Mayor, Governor, Police Commisioner, Head of Campus Security...all remember what they do NOT want to happen under ANY circumstances, ever.

And that goes for protests in other places. They want peaceful protesters,bystanders, press not injured. So they will step carefully.

This should never happen on US soil ever again and I have seen some rhetoric on this site, as of late, that may seem sympathetic to it. I do not want to see that wording here.

I was not yet born when this happened. I still can;t believe it did happen, yet it did. Kids.

I don't want anyone to die at the hand of protestors (rioters) or police.

But to not arrest anyone or only one person at Berkely was insane.

Keep in mind they were beating Trump supporters there, were smashing car windows as they were driving.

And the fact hardly anyone is ever arrested at these riots means they continue to grow in number and intensity.

Will you show the same sympathy when one of the victims that gets beat mercilessly succumbs to their injuries and dies?

How much property destruction and people being beaten is acceptable until the police step in for you?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

That's the million dollar question...how much is acceptable? How far does Law Enforcement need to lean in the other direction to avoid a Kent State scenario?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Everyone seems to agree Milo is a troll. I agree, hell even Milo agrees.

But I do have to question, what makes him a troll?

Is it that he uses comedy to purposeful anger those ideologically different than him? He does do this, but also has serious points behind his antics.

Thats just a quick definition I came up with, I wonder if people would agree with that.

Why don't we ever call people on the left that do this trolls. What about Stephen Colbert, John Stewart, or Bill Maher, are they trolls.

It seems like sort of a double standard, as troll is used derogatorily. We are told not to take Milo seriously or ignore him because he is a troll, yet John Stewart is considered some great news person of integrity that uses humor to prove his political points.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Vector99

Your describing a working class utopia. I'm not going to knock your fantasy because it sounds great. I don't think skilled work becomes less valuable, I think someone who is paying for skilled work deems it less valuable because the supply would be much greater.

The cost and risk vs reward for a modern education does not benefit the student. If I had my way, I would reduce the amount of people going to school in attempt to drive the costs down.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wrote this up a few months back and am still working on it.

Money shouldn't keep people from college...low grades, on the other hand.

Perhaps if college were free for those who can maintain a decent GPA...

We live in a capitalistic economy. Having a populace that is able to compete is good for the economy, not bad.
edit on 3-2-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Do you ask these questions in regards to all the other race based scholarships? Also, what is this new tactic where non-whites tell white people they aren't really white?

The issue would come up in all race based scholarships. Only that, it usually doesn't, because anyone claiming to be black will be accepted by the black scholarship committees etc..that's because most people don't think claiming black is an advantage, though it could be. In Hollywood, there's such a thing as not black enough, but black collages don't use any strict criteria like Hollywood. If you think you're black, you're in.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shangralah
If college was free no one would need a scholarship.

RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Education should be like Walmart.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Milo is probably doing this for publicity and to make a statement. At any rate I think it is a good way to pursue the issue, better than taking scholarships away from minorities.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

He'll probably just keep the money like he did for that other charity scam he ran. I mean, he did learn this behavior from his God-Emperor so he thinks it's now okay.
edit on 3-2-2017 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Scholarships don't work that way. The money for the scholarship must be placed in an escrow account before a scholarship is declared. The sponsor cannot touch the money once this is done; all they, or those identified as a selection committee, can do is to choose who gets it based on the rules set forth in the scholarship.

Sorry, but your post is completely ignorant of reality.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Assuming he's going to use those channels or just start his own foundation. The man is a con artist and conservatives are eating it up so don't tell me about reality when this man got famous being a Tech guy from Breitbart turned professional troll and loudmouth.

edit on 3-2-2017 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I agree, money should not keep someone for achieving more and acquiring an education. Then as someone who supports this, who am I to say that so and so should pay for this guy to go to school, especially if so-and-so did not have the opportunity?

See my views in this OP:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join