It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visa ban could make doctor shortage worse

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Did it ever occur to people that the American shortage of doctors and engineers might be to the fact that you get a 400k school loan to graduate and find out that you have to compete with somoene that has 1/3 of your cost of living back in their country.

Maybe people dont find it to appealing to go into a difficult program and get into large debt to find out they wont get compensated for it.

Why didn't we have a shortage of doctors and engineers prior to globalization?

Many American doctors are also dropping out of the industry because of 100'sK in loans, Medical malpractice insurance, but now if you start to add more cheaper doctors who work here but go back to their native home to live at a 1/3rd of the cost of Americans doctors than for sure you will see a huge drop in American doctors.

I'm a computer engineer with 20 years in the industry and see what has been happening in the industry and would encourage my son to go into ANOTHER field of study.

It has been a great field for me and I have been compensated , but his generation will not see the same rewards i have seen.

The H1 visa are being abused by American companies to deepen their own pockets at the expense of the American public and the American economy . It needs to be addressed.

What people are not seeing is the bigger scarier picture. That Americans are not seeing the incentive to go into Engineering,Medicine , and other Science related fields of study, which will become the end of America.

This is a huge issue that needs to be addressed in order to ensure Americans continue to see the benefit of going into difficult field of studies to ensure our future.

edit on 16228America/ChicagoSat, 04 Feb 2017 14:16:42 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

So this will affect us all, some sooner than others.

When you say "affect" I always think about how much and the severity of it. In this case how many doctors come here to practice from these 7 counties with most of them 3rd world? How hard would it be for him to just check his status before he thinks about leaving? How much hardship will he go though if he just waited 80 days to have this play out?

In the end a lot of things affect us, but is this something that will keep you awake at night?

<< 1  2   >>

join