It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visa ban could make doctor shortage worse

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Again, it's difficult to decide which forum is appropriate for this. I'm making a wild guess, here.

Visa ban could make doctor shortage in rural America even worse
by Parija Kavilanz
February 2, 2017: 3:48 PM ET

America's health care system relies heavily on foreign doctors, especially in underserved areas already struggling with a serious doctor shortage.
Now physicians groups, medical colleges and doctors in the field are concerned that President Donald Trump's temporary immigration ban restricting people from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S., will mean there will be even fewer doctors available in rural communities.

source

This is a longstanding problem; the friendly country physician of a century ago no longer is around... and in fact it's been impossible for hospitals in small towns to keep good health care professionals. By the time they've paid for liability insurance and office space and dealt with the monthly bill for their student loans, there's no money left to hire staff or buy equipment or even the basic supplies (antiseptics, bandages, masks, gloves, test strips) to run a practice.

Back in 1980, when I was a grad student at Texas Tech, I was involved in assisting with a health care program for outlying areas around Lubbock (which is pretty darn desolate... you can look it up on the map) that provided physicians assistants to tiny towns because there were no doctors and by the time some wife had driven her husband from their farm to the hospital in Lubbock, his condition would have gone from 'serious' to 'critical' and far too many times these men and women died during the long transport.

For those of you inclined to read up on it, there's a nice Atlantic article on why there's so few physicians in rural America

In more recent years, physicians and medical technicians and medical students were allowed in on visas - many of these people serve smaller communities.

Each year, more than 6,000 medical trainees from foreign countries participate in medical residency programs through J-1 non-immigrant visas, according to the American Association of Medical College (AAMC).

Once they complete their residency, physicians can either return to their home country for two years before they are eligible to re-enter the U.S. through a different immigration pathway, such as an H1-B worker visa, or they can apply for a Conrad 30 J-1 Visa Waiver. This allows them to extend their stay in the U.S. as long as they commit to serving in rural and underserved areas for three years.

More than 6,000 medical trainees from foreign countries enter the U.S. each year on J1 visas for residency programs. Many of them go on to practice in underserved rural and urban communities in America.

Because my husband and I have different medical insurances, we have different physicians - his is an immigrant physician who has come into this country on one of these medical visas. His physician may not be able to travel back home on vacation (I'm not sure where the man is from but he's from Africa) and once he's left he may not be able to re-enter the United States... which means we're back to the old game of "which physician accepts Medicare these days" (the answer, if you've tried this, is "not a lot of them.")

So this will affect us all, some sooner than others.
edit on 2-2-2017 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Do we get many doctors from these 7 countries?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I just bet they can easily get waivers.

High profile waivers.

And why would a few months make a difference ?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Well yes it is a problem but ......

Why the hell do the leaders of the free world, the most affluent society there is, the richest nation, with 300,000,000 people run out of doctors?

Your medical industry makes huge profits each and every year.

The reason is very simple and deliberate!

It is far cheaper to bring in overseas help rather than pay your own people a decent wage for doctoring.

You can talk about doctors, IT professionals or a host of other jobs.

The problem is a societal one. Unbridled greed is the basic cause.

Fix the societal problems and then you may get enough doctors, but as long as it is cheaper to get them from overseas it will not change.

P

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

I believe India is a large contributer. Different countries have different health standards and tests needed to receive a doctorate. I know a great dude that was once a doctor in Peru. After he immigrated here his doctorate didn't carry over or meet the US standards, so he's now an RN/surgical assistant. Just because your a doctor in one country doesn't make you a doctor in another.

As far as the ban goes, I don't think it's going to really effect our doctors here on the visa program. I'm curious to see the actual number tho.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Its a three month ban... doctors train for years. And percent wise not a lot from the ban list. Here's the raw data.
www.migrationpolicy.org...

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yea this has to do with government and the various restrictions in place that keep the number of doctors the US produces low.

The american medical association purposely keeps the number of doctors down.

This problem could be fixed in a few years without immigrants. It is done this way on purpose.

Immigration is a band aid

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Another "embellished half truth story".

As the other member posted, How Many Doctors are we going to loose or not get from these particular nations in the next 90 days?

Another "hair on fire" no truth story.

When they CRY WOLF daily on BS, nobody will even bother listening soon.... ever.

Oh... it is CNN

edit on 2-2-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The tech industry DOES get its employees from the 7 countries in the ban, and they are upset because they are short something like 400,000-800,000 workers and they get 86,000 of them from overseas. Right now, the tech companies are being affected by Trump's travel ban and there simply aren't enough workers entering the tech industry to meet the demand. Good idea to look into the specifics of how many tech employees are affected. I think the tech industry is worried that there might be more restrictions on immigrants, such as with Trump's latest move to drastically cut foreign workers from all countries.

Pichai sent out a company-wide memo that was highly critical of Trump's action, saying it could prevent at least 187 foreign-born Google employees from entering the United States.

Washington Post
edit on 02pmThu, 02 Feb 2017 22:12:37 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 02pmThu, 02 Feb 2017 22:14:11 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
A lot of American doctors come from Syria and Somalia do they?

Fake news.

-- Are you a physician on a Conrad 30 J-1 Waiver currently practicing in an underserved area and from one of the 7 countries in the travel ban? We'd like to hear from you. Please email Parija Kavilanz at parija.bhatnagar@turner.com.

I would bet every asset I have that every example they get from this fishing scheme will be fraudulent.
edit on -060010pm2kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

LOL You know how to make me laugh. Seriously? Or just trolling?

I'll be more serious if you provide the numbers of doctors we would have in employment in these 90 days.
edit on 2-2-2017 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
If I am to understand the premise of this correctly: America, a country of 318 million people or so, spanning 2x3 thousand miles, and the largest economy in the world, is reliant on Doctors from Syria, Iran Somalia, Sudan, Iraq and YEMEN for its medical professional needs.

Seriously. Someone wants us to believe that 4 months without doctors from these countries, THESE COUNTRIES, is going to bring the medical establishment to its knees and deny cancer stricken children the treatment they need, expensive treatment of course.

Besides being beyond ludicrous in every possible way, and pandering in nearly every possible way, and being divisive in every possible way, it belies one fundamental truth: If the US system will be crippled or in any way damaged by the EO, then I say let it happen, because we have FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR bigger problems in our country then prohibiting a few hundred people from other countries from arriving. This country is a giant mess, if we need to import doctors and I welcome the Armageddon.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
A lot of American doctors come from Syria and Somalia do they?

Fake news.

-- Are you a physician on a Conrad 30 J-1 Waiver currently practicing in an underserved area and from one of the 7 countries in the travel ban? We'd like to hear from you. Please email Parija Kavilanz at parija.bhatnagar@turner.com.

I would bet every asset I have that every example they get from this fishing scheme will be fraudulent.

money.cnn.com...

Are you a physician on a Conrad 30 J-1 Waiver currently practicing in an underserved area and from one of the 7 countries in the travel ban? We'd like to hear from you. Please email Parija Kavilanz at parija.bhatnagar@turner.com.

Of course they would love to find a couple since they couldn't find any for their bunk story! LOL

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: crankyoldman

More than 3,000 of the 13,000 physicians who hold active Iowa licenses were born outside the United States, according to the Iowa Board of Medicine, which regulates the profession. The largest group, 882, were born in India. But 172 were born in one of the seven predominantly Muslim countries that are subject to the temporary travel ban President Trump announced Friday.

172 Iowa doctors came from countries in Trump's travel ban

That is just in Iowa.

edit on 02pmThu, 02 Feb 2017 22:16:40 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

More than 3,000 of the 13,000 physicians who hold active Iowa licenses were born outside the United States, according to the Iowa Board of Medicine, which regulates the profession. The largest group, 882, were born in India. But 172 were born in one of the seven predominantly Muslim countries that are subject to the temporary travel ban President Trump announced Friday.

That is just in Iowa.

172 out of 13,000?

Absolutely crippling shortage right there.

The ones who are already here don't need to leave. I don't see the problem.

I wouldn't hold a Syrian doctor who flees in particularly high regard, depending on circumstances of course, since they could do much good in Syria treating the soldiers and civilians wounded in the war against the terrorists.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

That is just in Iowa.

Soooooooo, did they get their training here or there?

What's wrong with Cuba or Philippines? China?

I didn't know Somalian docs were going to schools as good as Harvard Med in Mogadishu.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

The doctors probably got their training here I bet, but they still come from the countries in the travel ban.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

There are plenty of doctors in every corner.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: amfirst1

Yea US doctors get paid Big time money, more than anywhere's else by quite a bit from the data I've seen. They are not going to have problems getting doctors when you can offer 50k more for than most western countries.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

wow. desperation looks ugly.
how much can you stretch before the rubber band snaps in your face.
those CNN editor in chiefs are doing the watusi with their careers.

edit on 2-2-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join