It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police vs Riots

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
So I was surfing YouTube and came across this video.
youtu.be...

The title caught my attention, specifically "Scared police..."

I've seen several videos of recent riots, both at the inauguration and since then.

I have two thoughts:

First, I'm amazed that the police don't get more violent. Sure, they will throw flash bangs, use pepper spray, and shove protesters. I've even seen them shoot rubber bullets on occasion. That's violent, but I'm surprised they don't get carried away in the heat of the moment when rioters charge them or throw rocks at them and saunter away.

Second, I'm curious whether departments have been conducting additional riot training. This is related to the video I posted. I can see how confronting rioters without adequate training would be very intense, specifically because they carry lethal force and it would be hard to guage what counter measures to take. From what I've seen lately, they seem to be professional and prepared, not "scared."

In regard to the UC Berkley riots, I also noticed that the cops didn't really interfere on an aggressive way.

Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised about the level of tolerance I've seen with law enforcement during these charged exchanges. I feel like things could get carried away very easily, so it's nice to see that the people wearing a uniform are able to distance themselves emotionally and do an outstanding job when dealing with these situations.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: swedy13

Excuse me, but ALL participants in a riot need to be corralled into a segregated area by law enforcement, and subsequently hit with everything non-lethal so they can be arrested properly. Tasers, flash bangs, LRAD, and pepper spray should be deployed ASAP on everyone and everything in the presence of a riot until order is restored. Anyone demonstrating peacefully better have enough sense to get away from the paid Soros provocateurs before boots meet faces.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

In regard to the UC Berkley riots, I also noticed that the cops didn't really interfere on an aggressive way.

You are on the right track. Here is a challenge, where and when else does this scenario apply and what are the politics of the area.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: swedy13
So I was surfing YouTube and came across this video.
youtu.be...

The title caught my attention, specifically "Scared police..."

I've seen several videos of recent riots, both at the inauguration and since then.

I have two thoughts:

First, I'm amazed that the police don't get more violent. Sure, they will throw flash bangs, use pepper spray, and shove protesters. I've even seen them shoot rubber bullets on occasion. That's violent, but I'm surprised they don't get carried away in the heat of the moment when rioters charge them or throw rocks at them and saunter away.

Second, I'm curious whether departments have been conducting additional riot training. This is related to the video I posted. I can see how confronting rioters without adequate training would be very intense, specifically because they carry lethal force and it would be hard to guage what counter measures to take. From what I've seen lately, they seem to be professional and prepared, not "scared."

Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised about the level of tolerance I've seen with law enforcement during these charged exchanges. I feel like things could get carried away very easily, so it's nice to see that the people wearing a uniform are able to distance themselves emotionally and do an outstanding job when dealing with these situations.

There's a big difference between police being tolerant and being indifferent towards protesting that turns into rioting ,arson and property damage. Besides the fact that these idiots are rioting because they can't seem to allow freedom of speech ??

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The police understand the main goal of many "protesters".

The activists push in hope that the police will push back.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The left are dying for something to give, they want a civil war so bad..

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Since the end of 2011 I've watched a lot of protests/riots, the ones that typically start out good (that's subjective of course) then turn ugly. The riot control most of the time has been on point and increasingly professional. I think that's because of the use of ex-military as police, the better gear and most importantly the increased information about how to handle the situation in modern times. Likely better training too.

Protesters seem to come in only a few shades. There's the obsessed types that feel they need to go protest because if they don't then something they don't want to happen will happen. (It always happens anyway) There's the trendy types that protest because it's the thing to do and something they can use to look cool in front of their peers. There's the ones that go just to check it out, there's usually a small amount of anti-protesters and then there's the anarchists.

I use anarchists loosely, call them what you will but you know the ones I mean. Ski masks or black shirts on their heads, breaking things. They're the same in every crowd the last few years and they always use the same tactics.

There was some talk that the end of Occupy Wall Street was mostly a test for crowd control and weapons. The police learned a lot from that. Everything you need to know about the modern protester and anti-riot tactics are on display from the Occupy Wall Street Day of Action. The companies behind the scenes, embedded agitators, control tactics, the whole nine yards.

My point behind the long winded monologue here is once you know how the crowd will act with near precision it's an easier job to do. Can it go unexpectedly and wrong, sure, but it rarely does any more. They know what to expect. People are mostly predictable.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I've been surprised that they haven't acted in a harsher way. I think when people are getting hurt, as in the case of UC Berkley, that they should probably stepped in. Then again, it was a campus and I don't know the story about how many officers where in place there. Sounds like mostly personal security and not enough officers to do the job.

Overall, I'm just impressed that the police have been very professional and haven't done anything stupid. I think that's really commendable and the training is solid to say the least.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I honestly missed that one so no clue but I do know that the police have to ask themselves if it would do any good to step in or make things worse. If they get involved will it change the crowd dynamic and spur others into lashing out? They're not responsible for the safety of protesters as much as they are responsible for maintaining as much order as possible. People get hurt at protests all the time and mostly the offenders get away with it.

I haven't watched the video you posted yet, will do so tomorrow I'm not feeling that stuff tonight. But my uninformed guess is that taking that kind of action would have just made the situation worse for everybody involved so they chose not to.

(post by Mcupobob removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
you`re right the police have been a lot more tolerant than the people who are rioting in the name of tolerance and unity.

if the police were allowed to they could break up any riot with ease,they have the training and plenty of surplus military equipment to do it.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

No need. I posted the link primarily because I referenced the title. I don't think the video itself is representative of the work they're doing.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Mcupobob

That was random. I hope the protests don't get more violent and, if they do, that law enforcement steps in. Expressing dissent is totally ok, but physical attacks are not.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I guess that's my question. Are they not allowed to, or is it a judgment call to prevent backlash based on training and experience?

I have no idea. I do know they look extremely formidable and I wouldn't want to be caught anywhere near a line of riot police. But they're being very nice, which I find a little confusing actually. I'd like to understand why. Regardless, I'm glad they aren't the criminals in this story.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

I think it's reaching the point where the rioters will find the police shooting back is met with cheers rather than shock by the masses. People are getting fed the # up.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

That's already the case to an extent.
youtu.be...

(post by Mcupobob removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Interesting comment from that link.

The embedded police with the protest groups are hired and paid extra to protect them from angry citizens. You can often spot them in the crowd confrontations between groups because the uniform police almost always know who they are and the embedded police will not get attacked along with the Anarchists. I have been told those police are actually there to protect protesters from vigilantes.

I can never understand why people get themselves into mass conflicts. It's not as though you can't see it coming.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The police need to stand down.
The *protesters want to be martyrs. Deny them that. Make the governors and mayors beg for help. Trump can wait and come in as a hero. He has other things to do.
edit on 3-2-2017 by jellyrev because: *edit

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Nevermind, confusion clarified.

edit on 3-2-2017 by Noncents because: Good Posters Do Exist

top topics

<<   2 >>

join