It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Rolls Back Rule on Gun Restrictions for Severely Mentally Ill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
House was busy toady with some "repealing" activity

The one from the OP is "H. J. RES. 40"

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

House Rolls Back Rule on Gun Restrictions for Severely Mentally Ill

Christmas all over again

I can get my AR platform out of impound now

Thanks Trump!!!

edit on 2 2 2017 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

The severely mentally ill have committed mass shooting crimes, over and over in the last few years.

Most of those were never known mental cases.

They slipped through undetected.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I heard there was some crazy dude

out there in Kali who need a gun to defend himself.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Share the law so we may read its exact text, its definitions and see upon what date it was implemented. Provide statistics with shootings committed in the years prior to the enactment, and the years following the enactment. Otherwise your OP is subjective rubbish based on neither reason or fact, but emotion and vehement hatred of our new President, President Trump.
edit on 2-2-2017 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Gun free zones are disappearing. Some should always be gun free. Like BARS. Schools can have an armed officer.

Tell that to my friend Eddy that was murdered at Pulse on June 12th 2016.

The gay clubs I used to work at in Tampa always had armed security personnel on site.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The regulations will be reinstated when some crazy man shoots a Republicans kid or family member.

.....Or President?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I have a relative who is mentally ill and he has 3 college degrees! Get this, one of his degrees is in psychology! Go figure. He can't keep a job and has never been mentally evaluated because he refuses to be tested. He's physically attacked his siblings and parents several times in the past. If you met this guy, you would think he was very smart and a pretty nice guy.

The problem with some mentally ill people is they hide it very well. According to his siblings, the term "you don't know someone until you've lived with them, fits this guy to the tee." All it takes is for someone to press the right buttons and all common sense goes down the drain. I surely wouldn't trust this relative with a gun. Allowing mentally ill people to purchase a gun is as insane as allowing a violent criminal to obtain a gun.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I can buy a gun now?

Doesn't interest me. I'm supposed to register my hands, but I don't want to lose those.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Every time I'm out back playing with my nitro glycerin and paint shaker I say to myself, " Self, gee I'm glad we have the republicans around to make it possible for a severely mentally ill person to waltz right into Dan's tile 'n' Guns to buy a gun.

Then I go right on playing with my nitro glycerin and paint shaker.
edit on 2-2-2017 by Spader because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Gun-rights groups and some mental-health advocates say the rule, approved in December, was overly broad, established a flawed standard and violated peoples’ due-process rights.
“This rule allows for bureaucrats to strip disabled people of their Second Amendment rights without due process,” Representative Ralph Abraham, a Louisiana Republican and one of the bill’s 119 Republican co-sponsors in the House, said in a statement. “The Constitution applied to all Americans, including disabled Americans, and I’m glad to see that Congress is acting swiftly to defend it.”
The Social Security Administration reporting rule also was opposed by the American Civil Liberties Union and several mental-health advocates, who were critical of the standard it uses to determine which beneficiaries are reported. The rule calls on the Social Security Administration to report beneficiaries who require a “representative payee” to manage their finances, while opponents argue the administration should focus on people who pose a danger to themselves or others.

The Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities argued in a Jan. 26 letter to Congress that “current public dialogue is replete with inaccurate stereotyping of people with mental disabilities as violent and dangerous, and there is a real concern that the kind of policy change encompassed by this rule will reinforce those unfounded assumptions.”

source

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

edit on 2-2-2017 by worldstarcountry because:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

And thank you for providing facts. This does NOT repeal the federal prohibition on firearms purchases for those who have been adjudicated mentally defective, but rather it is meant to ensure that federal bureaucrats cannot simply declare someone mentally defective and therefore deny their 2nd Amendment rights without due process.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

It all makes sense.... it's the severely mentally ill who are now in charge... 

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

Share the law so we may read its exact text, its definitions and see upon what date it was implemented. Provide statistics with shootings committed in the years prior to the enactment, and the years following the enactment. Otherwise your OP is subjective rubbish based on neither reason or fact, but emotion and vehement hatred of our new President, President Trump.

This is the text of the proposed law passed in the House today.

And this is the rule from the Social Security Administration that it would nullify.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie

It all makes sense.... it's the severely mentally ill who are now in charge... 

The day is mine!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

So it's okay to deny an American Citizen their 2nd amendment right without demonstrating any behavior that would deem them a possible danger, YET we have people rioting on the streets and shutting down airports for not allowing people who are not citizens into our country?????

Yet you Progressives wonder why so many Independents and homeless Democrats voted in our current President!

GET A CLUE!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I am patiently waiting for the passage of the Hearing Protection Act.
Then I don't have to wreck my hearing and bother the neighbors when I shoot.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I'm just waiting for our dear leader Donny to sign an executive order to allow infants and kids to finally be able to exercise their god given right to own an AR-15.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: MakeAmericaSaneAgain
I'm just waiting for our dear leader Donny to sign an executive order to allow infants and kids to finally be able to exercise their god given right to own an AR-15.

There is already a law for that!

Good God the lengths you people will stoop too is amazing!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join