It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US plans to impose sanctions on multiple Iranian entities, sources say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

The Trump administration is expected to announce as early as Friday new sanctions by the U.S. on multiple Iranian entities after a recent ballistic missile test, sources familiar with the matter confirmed to Fox News.

The new sanctions however would not violate the Iran nuclear deal signed in 2015, but instead be related to terrorism-related activities and ballistic missile-related activities that exist under separate existing U.S. executive orders, according to sources.

Iran's Defense Minister Gen. Hossein Dehghan confirmed Wednesday that Iran conducted a missile test, but did not say when the test was carried out or specify the type of missile. He insisted it wasn't a violation of U.N. resolutions.

I was concerned about how hothead Trump would respond to his first big test as POTUS. It looks like he's basically going to respond just as every other POTUS would have.

We've already got some tweets for the history books out of the situation.

He added in another tweet: "Iran was on its last legs and ready to collapse until the U.S. came along and gave it a life-line in the form of the Iran Deal: $150 billion."

How would that tweet be added to a history book considering how wrong it is? It's basically entirely incorrect. It needs asterisks to fully explain practically every word. Iran was not on its "last legs" before its money was returned, the money returned to it was not a "life-line" but simply the returning of its rightfully owned funds, and the amount was $100 billion not $150 billion. I don't know about you, but if I were a student reading that in history class, I would feel ashamed for my country that we had such an incompetent POTUS.

Since public education is meant in part to make students feel proud about their country, I know only a tiny portion of carefully selected Trump tweets will end up in history books. Things have to be sugar-coated to protect the children after all.
edit on 2-2-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Honestly?

You are starting to make me wonder if you need an intervention or perhaps you might be an actor/controlled opposition.

Either way? If you need some help, I hope you get it! If you are the latter, I am glad I called you out!

Screw Iran! A country that says death to America and you are defending them?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
Iran was not on its "last legs" before its money was returned

Facts disagree with you.
www.americanthinker.com...

Reports from inside Iran indicate a mounting economic crisis, despite a windfall of billions pouring into Iran following the nuclear deal sealed with the P5+1 following negotiations in which the international community bent over backwards in the mullahs’ favor.

After waves of spurious promises, which ultimately failed to provide or allow the people to reap any form of benefit from this deal, the government of Hassan Rouhani -- with a faux pas catchphrase of “moderation” -- is engulfed in a series of major calamities, with fears simmering among the leadership of growing dissent that can only possibly be construed as the roots of general uprisings in the making across the country.

the money returned to it was not a "life-line" but simply the returning of its rightfully owned funds

That's a highly debateable and subjective opinion by you. The money was frozen in proper sanctions and it is very arguable whether it should have ever been unfrozen. This present situation strongly indicates unfreezing it was freaking stupid.

and the amount was $100 billion not $150 billion

It will take a future history class to say exactly how much the value of those unfrozen assets really is. Your $100 Billion figure simply came from a different ass than Trump's $150 Billion figure was pulled out of. It's all speculative and estimative.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'd love some links for the second to last paragraph. I'm not being belligerent, I'm just not aware of what you're referencing.

I think the action was solid overall. The Tweet seems unnecessary....but what's new about that?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Agreed. I've seen a couple posts in the last couple days about the tough state Iran was in. One was related to this, the other claimed Russia bailed them out. Regardless, there seems to be a fair amount of consensus that it was at least nearing some problems.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

There is not one word of defense for Iran in my post. I'll try to ignore you from now on after that huge lie. I despise Iran.

Your post is the greatest compliment possible. When the first red herring nonsense post is a ridiculous ad hominem, I know I did a good job with the original post.

originally posted by: swedy13
I'd love some links for the second to last paragraph. I'm not being belligerent, I'm just not aware of what you're referencing.

I took that right of out of the article linked to in the original post.

As part of the nuclear deal struck during the Obama administration, Iran received access to an estimated $100 billion of its own money that had been frozen in foreign bank accounts. The U.S. did not give Iran $150 billion.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Weakening Iran will undermine the war against the Islamic State and other Wahhabi organisations, as well as strengthening those who support them. Saudi Arabia being the big one.

I don't think this is a particularly good idea.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

There is not one word of defense for Iran in my post. I'll try to ignore you from now on after that huge lie. I despise Iran.

Your post is the greatest compliment possible. When the first red herring nonsense post is a ridiculous ad hominem, I know I did a good job with the original post.

Your hatred and past posts for our current POTUS proves otherwise!

Be honest or I will call you out on it! Not asking for much really. But you actually DID condemn the actions of our POTUS against a country who wishes those of us who consider ourselves American DEATH!

I am finding your ability to say what you didn't say quite comical!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I don't know about you, but if I were a student reading that in history class, I would feel ashamed for my country that we had such an incompetent POTUS.
Yes the future students will have lots of statements to ponder .

edit on 2-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Your hatred and past posts for our current POTUS proves otherwise!

Where's your evidence that I hate Trump? I have no emotion for him at all. Why are you lying about me?

a reply to: burdman30ott6

The population of Iran is 80,043,146 according to this source. If they received $100 billion, that would come out to about $1,249 per person. If that's the difference between them being on their "last legs" or continuing as a nation, I think it's clear that they would have fallen apart by now. Iran's nominal GDP per capita in 2016 according to this source was $5,124. How can anyone think that $1,249 per person could be the difference between being on their "last legs" or continuing as a nation under those conditions? Their GDP also increased by 4.42% in 2016. If that's being on their "last legs", where's does that leave the U.S.?

I took the rest of what I asserted concerning the payments right of out of the article linked to in the original post.

As part of the nuclear deal struck during the Obama administration, Iran received access to an estimated $100 billion of its own money that had been frozen in foreign bank accounts. The U.S. did not give Iran $150 billion.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

That is debatable.

Our government is known to fly cargo planes full of cash to where ever it wants.

Well out of prying eyes.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

In march Iran leaves the petro dollar, the advice is to peg their money to either the Chinese or the Saudi, probably the Chinese. The rhetoric is always to prop up the 20 trillion in the American Ponzi debt. Trump cannot put interest rates up as the economy has already stalled. Any interest rate rise will trigger a collapse. All he can do is wait for a default. Then all hell will break loose. Because it will bring down the rest of the Ponzi nations. Every economist knows this. Cutting the federal budget just delays the inevitable, because less money in the economy switches more businesses' off.
The big players are already in gold and waiting.
I think he will have to confiscate all gold holdings, and back the currency with it, after the collapse. Either that or a war to confiscate the enemies wealth, the options just are not there.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

In march Iran leaves the petro dollar, the advice is to peg their money to either the Chinese or the Saudi, probably the Chinese. The rhetoric is always to prop up the 20 trillion in the American Ponzi debt. Trump cannot put interest rates up as the economy has already stalled. Any interest rate rise will trigger a collapse. All he can do is wait for a default. Then all hell will break loose. Because it will bring down the rest of the Ponzi nations. Every economist knows this. Cutting the federal budget just delays the inevitable, because less money in the economy switches more businesses' off.
The big players are already in gold and waiting.
I think he will have to confiscate all gold holdings, and back the currency with it, after the collapse. Either that or a war to confiscate the enemies wealth, the options just are not there.

HEres th efunny thing. Gold is easily recoverable by the governments of the country said person who own sit resides. Just like in WW2 they took all the metals.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Lol his rants started as WW3 with Russia, then Trump Trump....even a thread in Music bought politics into it - he never hangs around more than 2 posts per thread. I do wonder who pays his wages

top topics

join