It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers union stuffs student backpacks with flyer attacking Trump nominee

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Lots of triggering happening over Trumps Dept of Education Secretary nominee.

Now we have a situation where a local Teachers Union is sending flyers home with school kids.

This Union is heavily against Nominee DeVos.

They want the message "heard".

Notice something odd about the "Letter" too.

Teachers union stuffs student backpacks with flyer attacking Trump nominee

A New York parent is sounding off after her son came home from school with a flyer to “help us shield our students and schools from President elect Donald Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos!”

The flyer, produced by the Schenectady Federation of Teachers union, reads:

Under their plans they will attempt to destroy public schools by handing over 20 billion in tax payer dollars to a voucher program that will only serve to line the pockets of corporate profiteers at the expense of our students.

This could cost our students in Schenectady $5 million in funding every year.

The flyer directs readers to “call your congressman and senators today” and tell them to “protect our public schools by rejecting Trump and DeVos’ plans.” It included phone numbers for the state’s senators and local congressman.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I smell union layoffs coming after that genius plan

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
From the article.

Schenectady Federation of Teachers President Juliet Benaquisto told The Daily Gazette the flyer was produced by the union for a Jan. 19 “day of action,” and was not supposed to go home with students.

I don't like the left as much as the next guy but this could have been a simple error. Though I do wonder how documents that would otherwise be held in a drawer or filing cabinet ended up in a 6 year old's bag.

They need to get a consensus of how many student from the same school had this happen to them.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

A well timed and convenient error.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Issuing vouchers parents use to move their student(s) to other schools somehow is doing what now?
Directing money for the student to the school the student attends?
And that is bad?

Oh, 'cause it takes money away from the failing public school systems.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

So teachers warning parents about their children's futures in education is a bad thing???

Because DeVos is a horrible pick for that position. She has Zero experience for that position and is going to strip public school funding making our public education even worse than it already is. So they are trying to warn parents about what is happening.

So what's the big deal??

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: xuenchen

So teachers warning parents about their children's futures in education is a bad thing???

Because DeVos is a horrible pick for that position. She has Zero experience for that position and is going to strip public school funding making our public education even worse than it already is. So they are trying to warn parents about what is happening.

So what's the big deal??

Can it get any worse?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

That's your opinion, it's akin to putting a flyer in a child's bag with an opinion about Michelle Obamas lunch plan and how it will stunt your kids growth an blunt their IQ. It's all partisan.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Good. As I've stated previously, DeVos is wholly unqualified to be Secretary of Education. I have yet to find a single educator that supports her appointment. Of course this specific flyer doesn't really accomplish much. Both Schumer and Gillibrand are going to vote against her anyway.

And don't get me started on how schools shouldn't politicize things. I agree that should be the case. At the same time I have seen plenty of schools send home kids with flyers that are either pro-Christian or anti-homosexual. So this is hardly the first time something like this has happened. At least in this case it seems like it was a mistake.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I don't think that the teachers should be sending back stuff with their kids, that is not appropriate to do that. Teachers are suppose to teach kids about the system we use, not indoctrinate them on which party to support.

I actually do not know if I like Trumps choice of this woman for that job. She doesn't have that much public school experience, mostly private schools stuff. There has to be someone who would be better suited for the job out there. The public school situation is way different than private.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

How many have you asked who aren't part of a teacher's union?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

On the one hand I agree; on the other hand we've had how many so-called experts in the public schools in that position now and what has it gotten us?

Maybe it's time to take education away from the teachers' unions and start looking at some different ways of doing things.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Good. As I've stated previously, DeVos is wholly unqualified to be Secretary of Education. I have yet to find a single educator that supports her appointment. Of course this specific flyer doesn't really accomplish much. Both Schumer and Gillibrand are going to vote against her anyway.

And don't get me started on how schools shouldn't politicize things. I agree that should be the case. At the same time I have seen plenty of schools send home kids with flyers that are either pro-Christian or anti-homosexual. So this is hardly the first time something like this has happened. At least in this case it seems like it was a mistake.

Yeah, but remember this, those schools should not be sending flyers on pro-christian or anti-homosexual stuff home with the kids either, they should be neutral and always should have remained neutral. They can teach the kids about both options but not directly try to influence the kids parents. These flyers are not for the kids, they are targetting the parents and I have personally seen this kind of stuff cause conflict in a household between teens and their parents. I am not blind.

It is alright for a teacher to teach equal rights and tell the kids this applies to everyone equally, one group of people does not have extra rights.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
School unions need to go.
Trump is unmasking the truth about the indoctrination in our public school system.

They are fighting school choice because the union loses money.
By doing this they have demonstrated exactly why we need school choice.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I live in Virginia. Virginia's teachers are non-unionized. So...

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

On the one hand I agree; on the other hand we've had how many so-called experts in the public schools in that position now and what has it gotten us?

Maybe it's time to take education away from the teachers' unions and start looking at some different ways of doing things.

I have seen some pretty weird stuff the grandchildren are learning in schools. Risk assessment is not taught in schools at all, it actually seems that the teachers are actually pushing not to evaluate risk.

The stuff coming back in the kids backpacks with my grandkids seems all far liberal in concept. No conservative. The fast changing way they are teaching the kids, coming from the top down, is getting all messed up, the requirements are changing all the time and the methods do not work. Some people at the top who know nothing about teaching are telling the teachers how they must teach.

I think there should be more letters to parents addressing these radical changes in education to make it "better" that actually make things worse. But no politically directed letters. Our problem is high up in our state, this womans actions will not solve our problems. we must get someone with common sense in our states and also in the Federal government.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
My nine year old daughter has been bringing home new homework with essay questions that look like they were written up by Van Jones, or Saul Alinski. They seemed to be counter points being skewed to make students think in ways against Trump's new anti-liberal agenda that the left is perceiving without truth to be it's cause, only twisted around to give a false sense of what Trump is doing, rather than what he is actually doing.

I will keep my eye out for any fliers, but it is already getting maddening seeing this BS being directed at young students just to be a crutch for these people and their political neurotic behavior which is quickly becoming psychopathic.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

It's not about the unions. Even without a union the fact is that public schools have their money taken away and it goes to private schools of which not all students can go to.

All this does is take money away from tax payers who's kids will still go to public schools and give it to private schools. So what happens to their kids that still go to public schools??? They get nothing for their tax dollars that's what.

There will still be public schools, mostly for the poorer neighborhoods and poorer families and their tax dollars get no return on them.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

One thing that is strongly favored is to hand a lot of the responsibility back to the states. I think her greatest flub was that she got stuck in the "states shold do it" rut when answering and zoned out and it caught her on the question about disabilities.

She went through an hour longer hearing than her predessecors did.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: BlueAjah

It's not about the unions. Even without a union the fact is that public schools have their money taken away and it goes to private schools of which not all students can go to.

All this does is take money away from tax payers who's kids will still go to public schools and give it to private schools. So what happens to their kids that still go to public schools??? They get nothing for their tax dollars that's what.

There will still be public schools, mostly for the poorer neighborhoods and poorer families and their tax dollars get no return on them.

Answer me this:

Your beef is that the money attached to a student goes with the money under a voucher system.

That is how all private schools operate and many do better jobs with JUST the money the students bring, and they often do it on less than the state settles per student in tuition.

So if a private school can survive on what is much less money and still do a good job of educating, why would it kill the public schools to lose the money attached to the students, and if the schools are so crappy no one wants to go to them, what is your justification for keeping them open?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join