It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Trump to focus counter-extremism program solely on Islam

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
White Supremist groups aren't even a threat any more. But it would be a good idea to keep an eye on them any way.

I dare you to say that to the families of the victims killed at the Charleston church.

Emphasis mine.
edit on 2/2/2017 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: VengefulGhost

Liberals are largely pacifist but there's definitely Leftist groups that are or were at least being watched for Domestic Terrorism. As a leftist myself I would agree that there are Leftist groups that have earned suspicion. I guess they get a free pass now too though.

Why do we need a US government program for that.

Let the cops do their jobs.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Was Dylan Roof a part of a group?

Outside of the internet he was pretty much alone IIRC. The only thing that should have been a red flag is his website.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Well I know the FBI watches/infiltrates all kinds of groups so if this program is redundant then eliminate it all together, don't make it an arrow.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Good after he cleans up that segment he should move on to BLM.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   

He did it to try and incite a race war on their behest.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

The program was meant to sniff out loners too and Dylan Roof was inspired by White Supremacist groups.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: gription

Wow what? I can't hear you over the sound of my awesome Intellect.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

He did it to try and incite a race war on their behest.

He isn't exactly sane, nor was he a part of a group outside his website..that I know of. He possibly thought he had people at his back.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Why do we need one that focuses solely on Muslims?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Extremists rarely are sane. Omar Mateen certainly wasn't.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Then it failed. He owned and ran a white supremacist website. Huge flag if there ever was one.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

Weird. If you, a Syrian and a black person walked into a bar, you're the one that would make me nervous.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

He owned and ran a white supremacist website. Huge flag if there ever was one.

Not really. Not all white supremacists are violent or support violence.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

If he was running a white supremacy website then, yes, that makes him part of the white supremacy group/culture. White supremacy is still a problem, is still responsible for the harming and murder of innocent victims, and is, therefore, still a legitimate threat to be monitored by DHS, FBI, and any/all agencies possible.

If their popularity is dying down and weakening their ability to do what they see as necessary - particularly anything involving violence - it is only because they are under scrutiny. Take away the people watching them and it will only allow them to regroup and restrengthen.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I read this not as meaning to let white supremacists, etc off the hook, but not to expand police/surveillance action any further on the populace as a whole maybe? At least that seems like the spin.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Dangerous radicalization hits many factions. Sure, islam is a concern, but you cant tell me that some dangerous militia wanting to "teach the establishment a lesson" isn't a greater concern here.

There are more radical islamic groups to watch, sure...but this is only going to stir up questions about constitutionality and simply give the islamic apologists more ammo to demand they are being systematically oppressed and targetted.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   
My thoughts.

If the program is too costly or doesn't reap the intended benefits or is an example of something masking some form of corruption or is redundant... then why not simply kill the program? We already have more scrutiny on Islamic extremism and even the faintest whiff thereof whether real or unreal in the U.S. than at any time in history.

We have the DHS, FBI, NSA, numerous data mining and collection and analysis tools, local law enforcement, and now customs, immigration, ICE, etc. all focused with laser like intensity on Islamic extremism in America today, with unprecedented powers and reach that went into effect under Bush, only expanded under Obama (rolled back in some ways, but not significantly imho, and other powers took their place anyway,) and are likely (clearly, apparently) poised to be expanded further under Trump.

To take a program that - by not simply killing it - they acknowledge actually serves a function, but reorganize it solely to address something already being profoundly and increasingly addressed... seems like it would simply reduce the ability to prevent other forms of extremism that the program currently has... if it has any, which evidently it must, or else why refocus it toward this end rather than simply terminating its funding?

This despite, as others herein have pointed out, things like the non-Muslim extremists who plotted to bomb Muslim immigrants in Kansas just a few months ago before being caught as their plan entered the imminent phase.

Peace.
edit on 2/2/2017 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

LOL at the avatar. I see the reasons to oppose it, but I think it is merely an anti PC thing. And frankly until it happens I'm not believing it. Let's see. Though for that matter it could be as a way to put more focus...do you support Radical Islam, or Islamic Extremism? Are you saying those two things are the same as Islam? Because that is the only way one could arrive at the conclusion you have.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   

How on Earth is it going to make America safer if we ignore known threats?

I read your OP twice - what threat is he ignoring?

Seriously, I've scoured the internet and I cannot find any group that even shows up as a 'blip' on any website compared to Retarded Radical Islamists.

Trump is right to focus on where the noise is coming from, he needs to eliminate them all (the radicals who promote and practice Islamic extremism) with extreme prejudice - no mercy. They do not deserve to be treated like humans, but vermin needing eradicating.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join