It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: 'The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants...dumb deal!'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I realize there's another thread on the situation concerning the refugees from Australia. I believe the Trump tweet quoted below is so extraordinary it deserves its own thread.

Do you believe it? The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why? I will study this dumb deal!

Link to tweet

I want to analyze the tweet line by line in order to explain why I believe it's worthy of its own discussion.

"Do you believe it?"

Everyone who's paid attention knows that Obama was pro-immigration. Why is it even worth mentioning? I think Trump is trying to illustrate how different he is from Obama. In my view, it's tasteless to use the misfortune of thousands of refugees for purely political gain.

The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why?

The "illegal immigrants" part is a lie. If they're being let in to the country legally, then they are not illegal. Refugees are not the same thing as immigrants. The "why" part is because the Obama administration and the Trump administration have completely different views on the issue.

I will study this dumb deal!

Calling an attempt to help refugees a "dumb deal" is going to upset a lot of people. Trump just deeply insulted Obama and his administration. The fireworks are just getting started.

Donald Trump rages at 'dumb deal' with Australia over refugee resettlement – live
edit on 1-2-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

It's all just a show he will most likely go through with the deal he just wants to seem upset by it.

There is too much for both sides to lose to break the relationship over this.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

"Do you believe it?"

When it was announced I didnt believe it, as an Aussie I just thought sweet, someone elses problem.
Never understood why the US stepped in and didnt care

The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why?

Again not sure why but we appreciated it while it lasted

I will study this dumb deal!

It was a dumb deal, these people are economic migrants and not refugees.
If they were refugees genuinely in fear for their lives they would have used the significant amount of money they paid to people traffickers to move to the many safe countries that lie between their homes and Australia.

The refugees we should be helping are those in camps not the ones with 10's of 1000's of dollars to pick and choose their country of "safety"

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
I realize there's another thread on the situation concerning the refugees from Australia

Why are we confusing terms here?

Illegal == refugee ?

How did we get to that?

If we continue to confuse the language, pretty soon the words will have no meaning at all.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Thank-you for this link. It's being continuously updated!

www.theguardian.com...

President Donald Trump is SO REFRESHING! He told the Australian P.M. that the next "Boston Bomber" might be in this batch of refugees, because they have no traceable history that can be vetted.

edit on 2/2/2017 by carewemust because: sentence adjustment

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Trump did the same thing when he called out Germany's Angela Merkel, saying "I think she made one very catastrophic mistake, and that was taking all of these illegals". He's doing this intentionally.

Trump says Merkel made 'catastrophic mistake' with refugee policy

edit on 2-2-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Sooo, this is the deal we agreed to with Obama

The two were said to have clashed over a deal struck between the Turnbull government and the Obama administration at the end of last year, which would have seen up to 1,250 refugees currently stranded in Australia’s offshore detention camps on Nauru and Manus island considered for resettlement in the US. In return, Australia would take refugees from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.

So, it's a refugee exchange. We're not just palming off refugees for nothing. We are taking some from South America - the number does not appear to be specified.

There is only one reason Trump sees this as a bad deal - because they are from Syria and mostly Muslim.

I'll let the audience draw their own conclusions.
edit on 2-2-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Australia deserved the attitude they got from Trump.

They've had these refugees for years now and refuse to take them, they have the 'turn the boat around' policy and they're quick to dump these unwanted refugees on us.

They are their problem, if they want to be so liberal and tolerant then they can take them instead of making them wait years in bad conditions off their mainland on a tiny island.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: xstealth

There is a reason they are detained - to avoid a problem like Greece.

At one point, just like in Turkey, people were actually buying tickets on boats to be taken into Australian waters to be picked up by immigration.

Every country has a right and a responsibility to secure their borders. The deal reflects Australia's own policy that boat people will not be settled here.

I wonder if Trump would be happier if we took illegal immigrant Mexicans?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Wait Australia took refugees and then put them on island concentration camps? and didnt settle them? And leftist in their country didnt burn the whole government down?!?!?!
Could you imagine Trump opening ellis and angel island back up to do this. lefty's heads would explode.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

We got plenty we could send.

But my point is simple, they could have been sent sooner to some where else. We now have a policy not to accept refugees at all, now we're forced to because of Australia's policy not to accept refugees off of boats.

They screwed us over on that, they being Obama and the PM.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

We got plenty we could send.

But my point is simple, they could have been sent sooner to some where else. We now have a policy not to accept refugees at all, now we're forced to because of Australia's policy not to accept refugees off of boats.

They screwed us over on that, they being Obama and the PM.

This is only an issue because there was a change of President.

The truth is that nobody wants these people.

Thinking this through, the best place for these people would be to be returned to one of those safe zones Trump wants to set up in Syria. They can all go back home. Then we are happy and Trump would be happy. And since Trump is a wheeler dealer and Australia is also in Syria we could help set up these safe zones in return.
edit on 2-2-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Lets get something straight , Manus island is not part of Australia .

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   
ooops
edit on 2-2-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Trump math again. 1200 isn't "THOUSANDS" Mr trump.
Just like 250 thousand isn't a million, million and a half as in how many people attended his inauguration. and three million illegals didn't vote for Hillary.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
So, governments are dealing with "refugees" like baseball cards?

I'll give you 500 Syrians for 450 Costa Ricans and a handful of El Salvadorans.

Trade implies commerce, or at the least commodity. I would think making deals to "trade" one group of people for another (especially if currency was involved) would be illegal. It would be the epitome of trafficking.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Interesting. I wonder if Australia was expecting genuine Cubans and they end up with Dominicans. I wouldn't put it past Obama.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Lets allow more people into country, when we can't even take care of our own people. We have people living on the damn streets, instead of helping them, lets throw money at non American citizens.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Trump math again. 1200 isn't "THOUSANDS" Mr trump.
Just like 250 thousand isn't a million, million and a half as in how many people attended his inauguration. and three million illegals didn't vote for Hillary.

Oh, Silly ol' you. You know 90 million is not 5% unemployed... even 45 million isn't 5%, right? Obama math....

What does your comment have to do with the topic, specifically?

edit on 2-2-2017 by paradoxious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

maybe the illegal immigrant refers to them being in Australia illegally? i have not a clue. but all i can say is illegal is illegal. when i break the law i pay a fine or go to jail. when someone illegally comes here they dont go to jail or pay fines. and know what else? i help pay for the illegals with my tax money. like trump hate trump i dont care. but i love his stance on immigration so far.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join