It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump taps evangelist Jerry Falwell Jr. to lead higher education task force

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: SolAquarius
a reply to: WhateverYouSay
I'm not a fan of fundamentalist Christians but they are kittens compared to fundamentalist Muslims. I would rather be told Im going hell then have my head chopped off or worse.

Then you need to check out some of the brutal attacks by Christians in other parts of the world.

Can I have some sauce with that please?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: SolAquarius
a reply to: WhateverYouSay
I'm not a fan of fundamentalist Christians but they are kittens compared to fundamentalist Muslims. I would rather be told Im going hell then have my head chopped off or worse.

Then you need to check out some of the brutal attacks by Christians in other parts of the world.

Can I have some sauce with that please?

Ignorance is a joke?

Yes, There Are Christian Terrorists The anti-Muslim militias in the Central African Republic may not get the same attention as ISIS, but let’s not forget that people are still doing awful things in the name of Christianity.

“There are still nine Christians here. We will capture them. We will kill them. When we finish here, we will go to the next village and kill the Christians there, too.”

If an ISIS leader made a statement like this publicly, Fox News would probably cut into their programming bring you a special report about the Muslims’ “religious war” against Christians. Mainstream media outlets would most likely cover it as well.

But that statement was indeed uttered in 2014. Except there was one simple word difference: “Christian” was replaced with “Muslim.” That is exactly what a Christian terrorist said about his militia’s plan to exterminate the remaining nine Muslims in a village in Central Africa Republic (CAR). But, of course, stuff like that doesn’t really make news here in our country. www.thedailybeast.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Are you confused and just posting nonsense? Jerry Falwell Jr DOES have a higher education...From the University of Virginia School of Law to be exact.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

University of Virginia School of Law is a fake university?

Edit: Or do you mean Liberty University, a fully accredited school? Because you disagree with their religious views they are a fake school? Is Brigham Young a fake school?
edit on 3-2-2017 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

So if you work at Brigham Young University you can never have a job in US Government?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Can you show me how you made the jump from someone being appointed to a yet undefined task force to religion being taught in the classroom? I just want to follow your fuzzy logic.

Edit: I mean, from what I can tell this is the point of the task force:

Stevens said Falwell was interested in eliminating numerous regulations the U.S. Department of Education has placed on colleges and universities, adding that many college presidents felt the same, regardless of their political orientation.

"It's an autonomy issue for universities to be able to not be micromanaged by the Department of Education," Stevens said in an email.

Falwell would bring a focus on "overregulation and micromanagement of higher education" to the task force

So it seems the task force intends to put more power at the discretion of a university, rather than the department of education.

Edit 2: It looks like Liberty University teaches Evolution as well as creationism and allows the students an option of which classes they would like to attend. Source

In reality, Liberty is a fully accredited liberal-arts university. With over 90,000 students, it is the largest private, nonprofit university in America, the largest university in Virginia, and maintains more than 275 programs of study, including a fully-accredited School of Law, and a forthcoming School of Medicine. The same science textbooks are used at Liberty that are used at other major universities. Liberty teaches the theory of evolution as well as the Biblical account of creation (including that the universe could have been created with the appearance of age just as the first man and woman were created as adults) and students make up their own minds on the issue.

-Jerry Falwell Jr

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Dominionism - - Seventh Mountain

An American Taliban? Alan Bean

Has the Christian Right morphed into an American version of the Taliban? Are these folks trying to transform America into a fundamentalist theocracy? Don’t they talk about making the Bible the law of the land? Don’t they speak of “taking dominion” in Christ’s name? Doesn’t that sound exactly like the Taliban (or even ISIS)?

“This ideology . . . calls for the eradication of social ‘deviants,’ beginning with gay men and lesbians, whose sexual orientation, those in the movement say, is a curse and an illness, contaminating the American family and the country.”

But the LGBT community isn’t the only target of this American Taliban, Hedges says.

“Once these ‘deviants’ are removed, other ‘deviants’, including Muslims, liberals, feminists, intellectuals, left-wing activists, undocumented workers, poor African Americans and those dismissed as ‘nominal Christians’ — meaning Christians who do not embrace this peculiar interpretation of the Bible — will also be ruthlessly repressed. The ‘deviant’ government bureaucrats, the ‘deviant’ media, the ‘deviant’ schools and the ‘deviant’ churches, all agents of Satan, will be crushed or radically reformed. The rights of these ‘deviants’ will be annulled. ‘Christian values’ and ‘family values’ will, in the new state, be propagated by all institutions. Education and social welfare will be handed over to the church. Facts and self-criticism will be replaced with relentless indoctrination.” baptistnews.com...

edit on 3-2-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
Yeah, Christians have no place in government, only atheists should be allowed to hold government positions.

Creationism belongs in a church not a classroom.

Except when it comes to the church of climatology.

Then that CREATIONISM is right as rain.

Science can be more dangerous than religion.

See Fatman and Little Boy.

I'll see your Fatman and little boy and raise you a holocaust. Religion has killed more people than our nuclear bombs could dream of killing. Also the black plague and other diseases which pretty much almost wiped out mankind because religion stopped any kind of research.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Actually no there buster Religion hasn't.

Not between the GUN,the sword,chemical weapons,bombs,bullets, and mans fascination with disease, and drugs.

Nukes.

Science/Religion is like any other tool.

Depends on who wields it.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
So this is what seems to be happening.

• Trump and his other billionaire friends are nihilists - which means they believe in nothing i.e. no ethics, no good and evil. That this is probably Trump' personal philosophy doesn't take much faith - since he evidences it in everything he does and says.

• There may also be an occultic dimension to this, which only goes to show how truly sincere some of these people are about the way they live. They're existentially committed, it seems, to being "bad hombres", in Trump's language.

The first point is about philosophy - or how he likely rationalizes to himself the way he lives. The second point is far more deranged - as 'being', existence, and the phenomenology of consciousness (and matter) is brought into the picture, with all sorts of weird, ontologically strange sorts of things brought about in rituals.

In effect, we all live in a world with our "eyes wide shut" because of the power of knowledge - or a frame of reference (what you know determines what you believe) - we all are subsumed by a "matrix" which has been exquisitely and delicately created to act upon how the brain-mind generates meaning.

Scary? In Trumps mind - an ontological wall separates people like him from people. An elite is a "chosen one" - a person destined to "inherit the earth" - despite all their consumption, extraction and despoliation of Human life, animal life and the living processes of the planet we live upon - they really seem to believe that the universe will "reward" them for being so clever - because, of course "nothing matters". And nothing matters - in all likelihood - because a trauma - a hole - or void - induced by their own early life and later life ritual abuse, burrowed itself into the nature of their self-structuring (sorry to get so philosophical!) and making it seem like morality doesn't exist or matter - or that their maleficent dissociation of the effects they ontologically create will ever come back to haunt them (I suspect it will).
    edit on 3-2-2017 by Astrocyte because: (no reason given)

• posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 09:25 PM
    link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I am a Christian myself, and even I know this appointment is hooey.

Church and state must be separate from one another, but almost as important is keeping faith out of education, save in spheres in which it has a specific relevance. I love Jesus Christ as much as the next God fearing person, but if you asked me whether I think it appropriate to teach creationism as science, or treat the Bible as a more reliable source of data pertaining to physical processes, biology, and so on, I would have to say the following:

1) Just asking that question is evidence that the interviewer is a lunatic

2) Absolutely not. The Bible, Christ, they help a man work out the spiritual matters of his life, which is in my view an important, nay, VITAL element of existence for me, and billions of other people on the planet. But they have nothing informative to say about the deep structure of the universe, they have nothing important to impart about medicine, nothing Earth shattering to say about geology, they do not hand readers of the Bible or followers of Christ a particular understanding of any of the physical principles involved with life on Earth. For matters pertaining to the physical there is science. The teaching of one must never be bonded to the other, nor mingled with it. They must ALWAYS be fundamentally removed from one another, not because it is impossible to rationalise them together, or to contain the two concepts in the one brain, but because the way these things express their importance in the mind, ought to be left to the individual mind to develop, not shoehorned in amongst one another, having been crammed in at the same moment and from the same source.

I like your statement

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:41 PM
    link   
    a reply to: raymundoko

So it seems the task force intends to put more power at the discretion of a university, rather than the department of education.

This can take many forms. Time will tell what that form will be. But considering the lead of the task force I approach this with trepidation and caution. Liberty University might think it beneficial to teach bull# next to hard science, as such, so does Falwell Jr. I don't want to see superstition taught as a replacement or a "counter" to actual scientific training. You can do a lot in the form of regulation, and in some cases, lack thereof.

Edit 2: It looks like Liberty University teaches Evolution as well as creationism and allows the students an option of which classes they would like to attend. Source

If I gave you an "option" to believe actual data or a fairy tale from a 2000 year old book, which would YOU choose and why?

The good thing about science is that THERE ARE right and wrong answers. You follow the data gathered through experimentation and observation. Where is that in creationism? Why should it stand on equal footing with evolutionary science? Why should there even be a choice here?

What biologist graduating from that school is choosing a biblical explanation for biology when evolutionary science has all the data?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:46 PM
    link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: projectvxn
    a reply to: AMPTAH

Of course, that's part of understanding the processes that produce certain genetic expressions. That's biology at the molecular level. The basis of which is evolutionary science.

Ok, then, are we allowed to discuss the possibility that we humans will one day develop the capability to re-create man in our image after our likeness, in class?

Please stop trying to create a false equivalence between hard science and faith.

If you have to get into these kinds of mental gymnastics to legitimize ghost worship then you've already lost.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:48 PM
    link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

We'd be colonizing our solar system by now if it wasn't for the fact that scientific progress was illegal in CERTAIN FIELDS in ALL of the developed world RIGHT NOW.

Couldn't agree more.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 10:52 PM
    link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
    Evolution is fairy tales, and it is fairies that pass them along, not men

Well, then by all means why don't you tell us all how things really are. You can go ask your super genius pops to help you too. Since everything we know is wrong, then you must know what is right.

So tell us what the real answers are to life's greatest questions if you will???

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:11 PM
    link   
    a reply to: mOjOm
    I wish you had one too Bro. Its really cool. I didn't understand as a youth. I had grown men say to me " Do you know that your dad is a genius". I thought they were just paying him a compliment. When he was called to the Whitehouse I began to see. Don't ne mad bro, its all good. There are some things that we both agree on. I don't hate you or anything.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:31 AM
    link   
    a reply to: visitedbythem

Well that's good. I don't hate you either. But you just said everything we know is wrong because you're pops told ya and he's a super genius.

So why not throw us little guys a bone here and tell us what you've learned is true that the rest of don't get yet???

Seems like the brotherly thing the do don't ya think???

The more specific the better too.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:25 AM
    link   

I have a scientific degree and I believe in both "creation" and evolution. One does not dismiss the other. I believe you are specifically referring to young earth creationists? Again though, you haven't adequately explained how you think this means religion will be taught in a classroom. At this point it seems like you are talking out your butt. I don't think my alma mater is going to suddenly start teaching creation and for you to think colleges will start doing that is absurd.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:28 AM
    link   
    a reply to: visitedbythem

Was it your neighbors White House? A lot of geniuses would disagree with your dad.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 09:29 AM
    link   

Why didn't you just answer the question?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join