It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump taps evangelist Jerry Falwell Jr. to lead higher education task force

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: FelisOrion
Welcome to the Theocracy.

This is insane.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
What could the head of a successful NCAA division 1 university with over 15,000 students and over 100,000 online students possibly know about higher education?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: SolAquarius

I wonder how he feels about transgenderism, I will love to read what he have to say about it.

Really, that's what you wonder about? All the problems in the country and the world, and you are concerned about his stance on an incredibly small issue? Do liberals not understand things like the $20 Trillion in debt the U.S. is in? That's what you should really be worrying about. Transgenders will be as F'd as the rest of us if we don't get this straightened out now.

After listening to the purest of evil spewing from Nancy Pelosi, Elijah Cummings, Harry Reid, Charlie Schumer, Diane Feinstein, Hillary Clinton, and Elizabeth Warren...you should know that HATE needs no motive.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

Just an FYI- the person you are replying too. Who asked the question. Is far from a liberal. As they would say in basketball.

KYP...know your personnel. Especially when accusing them of being something they may not be.

Also, you can ask a throw away question, about something you are wondering. Without it being the center of your personal philosophy and ideology. Sometimes you just wonder stuff. It does not necessarily mean that you do not care about something else even more. Like for example, the massive debt of the country you live in.

edit on 2-2-2017 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I always usually agree with you on many things, and I think you are a great patriot as well, but on this issue I happen to know you are wrong. There really is a highest being in the universe just as there are lowest kind of things. Humans are a little bit above animals but not by much as we can all see in our daily news, and so even if I am wrong, which I know I am not, the world could use some people who don't have killing on their minds like a Falwell, or a Graham. Science in itself is being hoarded by half charlatans and politics, and this is on the big increase.

The only damage that might be done by pushing some "Christian values" will be to those who hoard science in a politically locked system of government funding and political agendas. That can't be a bad thing.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: FelisOrion

That is a little overboard. While I do not like the idea of someone pushing their version of religion on the entire higher education system.

One guy on a task force does not make a theocracy. The term task force implies he is just one of many people.

To make an informed opinion we would need to know who all the others are.
edit on 2-2-2017 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
What interesting times we live in that a man who once took issue with Teletubbies turning children gay is now going to lead a higher education task force. Gay tinky wink bad for children

That was his father. In February 1999 in his National Liberty Journal. He may of mentioned it earlier in 1998 too. And he wasn't the first to suggest it. July 1997 in the magazine The Face, Sussex University lecturer Andy Medhurst said it, “may be the first queer role model for toddlers.”
priceonomics.com - The Outing of Tinky Winky...

Also Jerry Falwell worked with someone named Mel White--who was gay (came out in 1991) and worked closely with Falwel for many years. A meeting was organized--in Oct 1999--of 200 gays by Soulforce at a church to argue the issue with Falwell and 200 of his congregation--to stem violence or hate:
www.nytimes.com - Journal; Has Jerry Falwell Seen the Light?...
edit on 2/2/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Donald Trump has said far more controversial things, yet Americans still made him President of our great nation. Likewise, most Americans won't give a hoot about what Jerry Falwell Sr/Jr. have said in the past. Furthermore, most Americans will never know of the task force that's the subject of this thread.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Mightn't it be a good idea to wait and see who else is on this panel/board?

Things like this, in order to be done rightly, require an across the board level of opinions--do they not?

I'll admit, the name Falwell isn't exactly promising...but who else is on this panel, assuming this is even a thing. Daily Mail isn't exactly known for its standards of proof, though other sources may have picked up this story by now...

There were rumours of him being the Sec of Education...which is not promising. Not at all.

I guess we'll see, what we shall see.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   
What an irony that the administration that openly hates Islam the most is doing the most to make us look like it.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: WhateverYouSay
I'm not a fan of fundamentalist Christians but they are kittens compared to fundamentalist Muslims. I would rather be told Im going hell then have my head chopped off or worse.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I read the thread title and found myself with a strange grin that turned to out loud uncomfortable ironic laughter. Partly because wine and partly because disbelief. What else is this administration going to do that brings a lot of uncertainty to people that are LBG and transgender?

Here's the deal... as I'm notorious here for unabashedly sticking my nose into many of the transgender threads to advocate for transgender children, because that is my experience, and I try to bring some of the knowledge and observations about this subject so people will have a better understanding of it.

Consequently, I pay attention to LGB and trans media, bloggers and YouTubers probably a lot more than most around here do because there are things going on politically that can have direct influence on my lived life. I'm not really part of the LGB or trans "community" but there is common interest in our concerns as this administration and cabinet does all have a pretty solid anti-LGBT record and that's a little scary.

I was introduced into the gay community as a young woman and felt sanctuary there. The women's community and bar scene in the late 70's into the 80's was very active and was a place I was very comfortable. I've witnessed the rise of gay rights and battles and hateful campaigns of the past from Jerry Falwell and Anita Bryant. I marched in Phoenix's very first gay rights march with my friends in 1981, which was about "rights" and not "pride". We didn't know if we would be shot or arrested. (it is Arizona after all)

After I had gotten over my distrust and fear of men, I grew beyond my wonderful friends and lifestyle in the community of women, save for my two dearest lesbian friends that have been together over 30 years that are considered a true part of my family and heart so I've always understood well, the perspective of gay people. I have felt their struggles and shared their worries so that does make me something other than an SJW, at least by the definition.

For me, many gay rights and transgender rights and concerns overlap and intersect. Being someone of trans experience, since transgender issues have been turned into a political wedge labeled left and right and trans issues have been used as retribution to gay marriage equality AND transgender children and people have been turned into pawns, I am concerned for those that haven't been as fortunate in life as me or are going through the things I did as a child and teenager.

Before Mr. Trump was sworn in, there was a massive rush by trans people to obtain correct identification and passports and complete legal name changes. Special hotlines were setup, several with pro bono legal services because the fear was that under Trump, these "rights" would be threatened. These are the politically driven type of things that can affect this community and why there are genuine concerns of what might happen with an administration with such an anti-LGBT history that is heavily lobbied by the fundamentalist Christian right. I hate the polarization of left/right labels and politics in general. I haven't posted in any pre-election threads or said a single word about Trump OR Clinton. I'm not a political person yet I have been forced to be.

I AM CONCERNED. Please listen with an open mind. Since non-transgender people have made an issue about bathrooms and can't get that off their minds, bathrooms have become a battleground and the first thing that comes to mind with the word "transgender". This is such a complicated issue, I completely understand that and empathize with both sides of the issue. It has become even further complicated by 76 Tumblr genders and gender neutral pronoun bullschitt but there are genuinely transgender/gender dysphoric children and adolescents out there that will not benefit from a change of the Obama's administration's interpretation of Title VII and IX that includes sexual orientation and gender identity as covered under anti-discrimination laws to that of Trump's apparent interpretations.

Couldn't our new president appoint some people with more neutral or moderate positions? I'm beginning to believe President Trump is intentionally filling his appointments with people from the most extremist right to cause a backlash in the LGBT community and to the 67% of people in this country that are supportive of "gay rights" which seem to have been dubbed as the "liberal left'. Is this a plan to destroy the Republican party or to follow their official anti-LGBT stance to retain the support of the right?

Yeah, Trump threw a bone to the LGBT's by sticking with Obama's policy for Federal contractors but is this just a smoke screen? Many think so but the real issue of concern to me and to the parents of transgender children is what's going to happen to their kids in school? Is Sessions going to rescind the current advisements and interpretations? There is a current case involving transgender students coming up in the Supreme Court. How is that going to turn out? There were 13 states suing the Obama administration for his previous guidelines issued for transgender students. What happens to those cases?

As someone that works with parents of transgender children that dealt with the suffering of growing up trans myself and know what genuine trans kids need to grow up as healthy, happy and productive adults, there is a lot of worry that things will be much more difficult under Trump's regime.

Beyond Pence, Bannon, Sessions and so on and a SCOTUS nominee historically not so friendly to the LGBT folks, someone with a Falwell legacy seems just like another nail in the coffin. It's almost hysterical at this point.

originally posted by: marg6043
I wonder how he feels about transgenderism, I will love to read what he have to say about it.

Do you really need to even ask?

edit on 2/2/2017 by Freija because: wine &nd 3:00 AM typing

edit on 2/2/2017 by Freija because: Yes, wine

edit on 2/2/2017 by Freija because: Dammit!

edit on 2/2/2017 by Freija because: Crikey@!

edit on 2/2/2017 by Freija because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   

I am a Christian myself, and even I know this appointment is hooey.

Church and state must be separate from one another, but almost as important is keeping faith out of education, save in spheres in which it has a specific relevance. I love Jesus Christ as much as the next God fearing person, but if you asked me whether I think it appropriate to teach creationism as science, or treat the Bible as a more reliable source of data pertaining to physical processes, biology, and so on, I would have to say the following:

1) Just asking that question is evidence that the interviewer is a lunatic

2) Absolutely not. The Bible, Christ, they help a man work out the spiritual matters of his life, which is in my view an important, nay, VITAL element of existence for me, and billions of other people on the planet. But they have nothing informative to say about the deep structure of the universe, they have nothing important to impart about medicine, nothing Earth shattering to say about geology, they do not hand readers of the Bible or followers of Christ a particular understanding of any of the physical principles involved with life on Earth. For matters pertaining to the physical there is science. The teaching of one must never be bonded to the other, nor mingled with it. They must ALWAYS be fundamentally removed from one another, not because it is impossible to rationalise them together, or to contain the two concepts in the one brain, but because the way these things express their importance in the mind, ought to be left to the individual mind to develop, not shoehorned in amongst one another, having been crammed in at the same moment and from the same source.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

that was the most assanine " argument " - i read since the last ATS thread i visited

FFS - get a grip

i has no problem with a govt officials PRIVATE religion

but when the cockwombles start to use thier religion as the basis for govt policy

NO

its that simple

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

well, I've found three dominionists so far that he's tapped into and I'm really not looking for them.
the women he wants to put in as secretary of education is also.

I just figure that a country, and the religious right, that can see trump as god's champion on earth after looking at his background, kind of deserves what they get.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Sad times America, the floodgates are being opened to something very ugly and dangerous coming your way.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Daily Mail
President Donald Trump has tapped Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. to lead a White House task force on improving higher education.

It is becoming apparent to me that President Trump is simply going to push every right wing idea including the bad ones. His administration has shown hostility toward climate scientists and the dissemination of their data. He has spoken out against vaccines. Now he's appointing someone who denies the very basis of biology to a "higher education task force". Creationism has no basis in fact. It is a modern religious fairy tale spun in the hopes of continuing to capitalize on the ignorance and superstition of religious peoples. This guy has no business directing any such task force.

For f's sake....Just get it over with. Whichever country has us in a nuke's crosshairs, just push the damn button and be done with it. We're too far gone to fix anymore, a blank slate is a HUGE step up.

And I'm only kind of kidding. It would be an improvement.
edit on 2/2/2017 by Nyiah because: whoops, messed up the quote.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Between DeVos and this guy, this is a nightmare coming true for me. I despise the Christian right and all they stand for in their indoctrination, lie spreading and horrific bible-thumping ideals. I fear that the children will suffer from their threats to them of damnation etc., that they may not get a fair shake of education and that we'll go even further backward intellectually.

The only, ONLY good thing I MIGHT see coming out of this is that these appointments MIGHT sate the Christian majority of this country and quell some of the unrest we're seeing.

OR, it will only fuel the fires of religious warring even further. Remains to be seen and possibly intended.

I know education has been in the dump for a long time now. I get to see it first hand these days with a 13 yr. old.
Granted, Christianity(as it is NOW anyway) is a preference to the spreading of the Muslim gospel, or the likes of Scientology/etc. but, this is NOT a solution to making America great.

This is just bad. It's just so bad.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Evolution is fairy tales, and it is fairies that pass them along, not men

Congratulations, that's the dumbest thing I've I've read so far today, and I expect it will win the monthly!!
edit on 2-2-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: if you call something 'dumb', you'd better make sure your spelling is right!!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I thought this was a joke thread.

How pathetic it isn't.

Me too... I was even inspired when I saw the source article was from the Daily Fail. Unfortunately other sources are reporting this too... I think I just died a little inside.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join